Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jason,

I hope it all works out for you. I have seen that baby sand monitor and its a nice animal, and like you said quite alert. I assume Adam's shipping him to you by air?

Anyway, good luck with it all! I hope it all works out. Please keep us posted!

Michelle

There are a couple of monitor breeders that use the Herp Trader. The ones I am thinking off are in NT but obviously know how to do the shipping thing well. One day, when I have room, I plan on getting a pair from them but alas that is probably a way off.

I don't know what if anything they have advertised currently but if you contact Judy, aka Trader ([email protected]) she may share the contact details and you can ask them when they will have what available. (Judy does all the actual Herp Trading - not me) I am sure it will work out cheaper, and make you happier than Upmarket Pets - which are probably an ok mob if you are dealing with them over the counter.

I bought two spotteds from from westside pets taringa in brisbane. The owner has a good knowledge and an employee has great knowlegde of reptiles. I haven't had any health problems or difficulties with the petshop bought pets I have. Buying sight unseen will always have a degree of risk. Its your money so your call.

One thing to consider with petshops before saying their animals look like crap is that when someone has an emaciated or not quite 100% animal and they want to offload it. Alot of times no-one will buy it so they take it to a petshop and get next to nothing for it, but have offloaded the animal without the guilt or worry of buyer giving them a bad name. Most people with good animals for sale can sell them privately easily, whats left usually goes to a petshop for an easy offload (except hatchlings) so if your buying an adult snake or goanna from one I would try to find previous owner and ask about it.
Stevo

Hey Jason, we've actually bought 2 animals from Upmarket, both of which have pretty decent problems. From personal experience I wouldn't buy from there again. Our second snake we ever bought was from there, a Coastal Carpet, and he has some mystery illness which nobody can pinpoint and nobody can cure. We're doing our best for him but I don't know what's going to happen. If you like I can give you links to the numerous threads on him to show you just how sick he's been. The other snake we bought from them was a hypo coastal. He's eaten maybe 10 times since we got him about a year ago. So he's over a year old but the size of a hatchling. Pretty scary hey?

I'm so glad those lacey's sold cos they could barely turn around in their enclosures but most of their other animals seem pretty healthy. I was impressed that they had a Diamond Python with a tumour that they actually operated on...most pet shops would have probably put it to sleep.

But anyway, they're probably one of the better ones but as I said I would personally avoid buying from there again. Having said that, the little Sandy looks pretty healthy and he's only young so you should be pretty right!

Sandies are my favourite monitor...good luck with him :D

well what i have been thinking, is that i would never get a sanke of any kind from a pet shop, when getting snake i would go to a breeder, but i figure with a lizard and after hearing people saying that it is kept well and looks healthy i feel that it would be a good feeder (which lizards generally are) and if it is alert and active i would think it would be fine. when i get it (assuming i do) i will take it straight to the vet and get checked and wormed etc to make sure all is fine and i will seperate it from my other reptiles. i will be talking to the shop today and ill see how long they've had it and ask if they know the breeders name. it hasnt had any health problems in the past and being a hatchy it wouldnt need to be kept in the largest of enclosures, im goin to ask for a photo of it in its enclosure to see how it is kept. from peoples memory (the ones that have seen this lizard in the shop) was the enclosure a good size and clean?

thanks every one.

Taken from trading post:

"sand monitor (hatchling) Beautiful colours, Upmarket Pets 440 Queen Street Melbourne Phone:03 9600 9051 Fax: 03 9600 9174 or Email: [email protected]"

W81868843183.jpg

thanks ouzo. thats the one, they are using breeders choice (i think)

africancichlidau said:
What is that they are using as substrate?

I think that it is BC or similar - obviously has not been out of the egg long.

Is it a sand goanna you are wanting to buy?

Is it a sand goanna you are wanting to buy?

yer, this is the only one iv had any reply from or could realy find, there was two on the herptrader but i have had no reply or info on age or anything. looks like i will be getting this one, it is cool though i have another pic of it with the shop owner holding it, i asked for it so i could see the size of it, it is cool. hopefully all will go well and if i get it i will have it with in a week or so, i just organising an import permit.

Exactly what is that, my thoughts exactly!! I have that stuff in the shop and I dont know why people would even bother using it. I am actually busy recreating the tanks for the reptiles in the classic european vivarium style. I picked up some skills while I was working over there. Soon it will be the best reptile shop in Melbourne.

Stevo couldn't have said it any better.

I've seen a heap of animals at upmarket pets which were literally close to death (still with the big price tags attached of course). Does anyone remember the thread with pictures of all the different carpet pythons including diamonds, bredli, coastals and jungles piled in together in the one enclosure? That was taken at upmarket pets. In all seriousness, I wouldn't take an animal from that place if you paid me twice its price tag, I wouldn't want who knows what diseases coming into my collection for the sake of a scungy animal.

There are several people breeding sand goannas and as Stevo said, people tend to sell their best animals privately and keep their good reputations, while offloading their cr@p to pet shops, passing the blame on. Much of the other stuff pet shops sell is wild caught, as we all know, sometimes legally, sometimes not, virtually always the wild animals are of lower quality. Why anyone would consider buying from a pet shop, paying more and getting less, I can't understand.

G'day Jason,
A few months ago I bought a reptile from Upmarket Pets, and whilst I'm happy with it, I thought the actual service was a bit lackadaisical, which may interest you especially if you're wanting to have something shipped.

At the time of buying the snake I also got an enclosure and wanted this delivered, and asked to have a flouro added because there was not one already there. I paid for all of that and it was going to arrive that night.

It did arrive, but there was no flouro - someone had forgotten to attach it. That meant that the next night someone had to come out again and put one in. The guy rocked up but then realised that the screws that attach the flouro to the tank weren't there, which was looking like it was going to be another nights wait till it went in. Luckily (?) the bloke found some odd screws in the back of the van and was able to attach it.

I know we all make mistakes, but how many times?!!

well to be honest i have been waiting for a call and havent had one, im slowly changing my mined about the hole thing and maby getting another monitor instead from a better breeder. will keep you all posted, im geeting confused not noing what to do....lol

every one has been very helpful, thanks everyone
jason

Jason said:
every one has been very helpful, thanks everyone
jason

APS at work! You will probably end up much happier with your animal and save a couple of bucks along the way ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back