Calling all vegetarians/vegans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rbb - we should be trying to do something for the environment though shouldn't we? Being veggo is just one way of helping. I don't think anyone was lording it over the meat eaters & it's not really hypocritical if u own leather, either. You just have to do what u can :) and I like tofu :lol:

Rbb - we should be trying to do something for the environment though shouldn't we? Being veggo is just one way of helping. I don't think anyone was lording it over the meat eaters & it's not really hypocritical if u own leather, either. You just have to do what u can :) and I like tofu :lol:

Ok... this is where I have to draw the line...

No... It does not help the environment being a vego. In fact, when you look at intensive cropping methods (ie look back at a previous post about potatoes) you'll see...

If you said you only purchased biodynamic produce and meats then I'd say you're doing your bit.

If you said you purchased only organic produce and meat, I'd say you're doing about half as much as you should be...

If you purchase LED downlights (I know where you can get some very good ones at a very good price), installed an energy efficient household and used only rainwater...

Then I'd say you're doing your bit...

But being a vego does not 'do your bit' no matter what sort of surrealist you are!

And I'm sorry - but not eating meat does not begin to save the planet - nor is it a small step in the right direction...

being biodynamic IS!

PS - PM me if you want to start 'doing your bit' with the LED lighting

Chill out, slimey. Telling me I'm wrong is not going to endear me to biodynamicism or a particular brand of LEDs.

There is plenty of info to suggest that more people eating less commercially produced meat would help the environment (sorry, I'm not in a position this second to give u hard evidence, but it doesn't mean I haven't read it). There's plenty of info to suggest it DOESNT help, but it's my perogative to choose my diet for whatever reasons, so why u think u get to draw a line, I'm not too sure. I'm informed on both sides of the argument, and I happen to choose the one u disagree with. Oops!

It's certainly not the only lifestyle choice I've made to try an decrease my personal impact on the environment (not too mention, my health is heaps better when I'm not eating meat everyday), so what exactly are u drawing a line through?

There's evidence to suggest that it does help the environment, which I find convincing, and I feel good for it. Not owning my own house & living in 2nd world country makes it a bit hard to be 100% biodynamic but I promise I'll work on it. Being 100% biodynamic isn't the only way to "do your bit", either.

LED's are effiecient but not comparable to incandescant performance, they may be a vegan food but only environmetally friendly if made with solar power. Eating LED's is only reccomended if you live in an overpopulated country IMHO.

Kristy ...how can one say they dont want to eat meat because they arent in support of killing animals ..then go out and buy 10 pairs of leather shoes ...DOUBLE STANDARDS ...that is my point ...like I said before what you eat for your own personal healthy regime is holy and soley your business and I dont care ,thats great, if it makes you feel happy and good about yourself ...BUT!!!! saying its for the enviroment whilst sitting on your leather computer chair with your leather shoes on is HYPOCRISY:meaning(a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.) THAT IS MY PEEVE!
You either put ya money where ya mouth is if you are going to claim animal rights like that and avoid animal products fully ..or SHUT YOUR MOUTHS and get off the SOAPBOX ...

Oh my god... it's gone from asking about recipes and some friendly advice to LED lights and people harping on about their superioty comlpexes! I think SOME people need to get off THEIR soapboxes and but out where no helpful advice is being given...

I don't own any leather that I'm aware of, I don't buy it, I don't support the mass slaughter methods involved with commercial killing. Alright? I would like this to be a helpful and friendly discussion... trust APS to turn that around.

But thank you to everyone that's helped. Can anyone suggest a nice vegetarian restraunt in Melbourne? I plan on taking my boy out somewhere nice and although I know of a few places, I'm not sure what's good. :)

LADYJ I believe in the first part of your thread you quoted the start of all this hypocrisy when you said quote..."I've made the decision to become vegetarian at the end of the year. I know that people should eat meat and we're at the top of the food-chain for a reason... but that's not why I'm doing this. The reason I've taken my vow is due to the cruelty, suffering and in-humane nature of commercial and mass-slaughter methods. The only meat I'll eat will be what I, or someone I know has humanely gathered (I enjoy hunting... still get my venison!)....HAD you simply wanted some recipes your thread should have just been WANTING SOME GOOD VEGO RECIPES ...see no double standards just a simple request ...you put up a debatable thread and you now have one ...

I've heard the vege bar has some great food, not all pish posh tho a bit more laid back cafe style,lentil as anything is delish,the white lotus,Gopals,Moroccan Soup Bar - there's a heap, some not 'vegetarian only' but all of those cater for vege/vegan...

I don't know how deep into becoming a vegetarian you want to become, but a good recipe I have (if you still drink milk/eat eggs) is a pumpkin/feta quiche. Usual quiche base (shortening/puff pastry, your choice), then spinach, mushroom, onion, pumpkin and crumbled feta mixed throughout. What I love about it is that you can add as little or as much as you like as a filling. Always bake at 180 degrees, but every quiche is different so you need to keep an eye on it (about average is 20 minutes though.) Garden salad with french dressing on the side is always a favourite :D

Just remember to cook the mushroom and onion, boil the pumpkin, and blanch the spinach (easier to control.)

Michelle Bridges crunch time cookbook has some really good low fat vegetarian recipes too. Of course some take a bit of getting used to, like shepherds pie which uses lentils instead of mince. Theres also a char-grilled veggie terrine, zucchini eggplant and mushroom lasagne, some stir frys, cauliflower spinach and ricotta bake and heaps more. I really reccommend it.

Kristy ...how can one say they dont want to eat meat because they arent in support of killing animals ..then go out and buy 10 pairs of leather shoes ...DOUBLE STANDARDS ...that is my point ...like I said before what you eat for your own personal healthy regime is holy and soley your business and I dont care ,thats great, if it makes you feel happy and good about yourself ...BUT!!!! saying its for the enviroment whilst sitting on your leather computer chair with your leather shoes on is HYPOCRISY:meaning(a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.) THAT IS MY PEEVE!
You either put ya money where ya mouth is if you are going to claim animal rights like that and avoid animal products fully ..or SHUT YOUR MOUTHS and get off the SOAPBOX ...

Okay, I get what you're saying, and I agree that it is double standards. That said, it's hard NOT to have double standards if you decide to support anything remotely environmentally friendly.

If you decide not to drive a car, I bet you still buy food from your local Woolies which has been shipped there by a boat/truck/plane. If you decide to use recycled paper only, I bet you still use the occasional toothpick made from a piece of old growth forest. If you decide to buy an electric car, you are still supporting lithium mining, which will eventually be really bad for the earth, too.

Tasmania set up a wind-power station that was right in the middle of a bunch of endangered Tasmanian wedge-tailed eagle nesting sites and killed a heap of them :shock:

I remember one old guy tell me that the Lions Club had given a bunch of money to some villages way up in the mountains in Nepal to save people's eyesight (like Fred Hollows) - sight was saved, people lived longer, used more resources than before, cut down more trees on the mountain for firewood etc., there was a big rain, mountainside collapsed and caused landslide, and killed THOUSANDS of people living on the riverbanks of Bangladesh :shock:

My point is, no matter what soapbox you're standing on, it's probably squishing some poor defenseless endangered field mouse underneath it, made out of old-growth timber, or shipped their by some big dirty smelly truck made predominantly out of seal pup leather products. It doesn't mean you stop trying or just give up - especially when you're in me and J's generation ;) It's our job to be like this!! But, I'm certainly not condemning you for eating meat. And I definitely don't have a leather work chair - it's plastic (Vietnam is so lousy sometimes).

Good debate so far, though ;)

Smoking cigarettes is purely vegetarian....

GIGGLE! (Sorry I was cranky at your post last night - PM me about those LEDs :))

I made the decision to go veggo again in april (i was raised vego and have been on and off my whole life) and let me just say i feel better for it people may be suposed to eat meat but certainly not to the extent that we do nowadays eating meat everyday of the week is excessive and unneccecary besides there are some wonderfull substitutes out there marinated tofu is way better than its chicken counterpart and if your having trouble making the switch theres a company called Quorn that do a range of meat and soy free products such as sausage rolls, pasties, mince, chicken parma pattie things, and even lazagne and they actualy taste good!

Oh things to be wary of

Cheese- Rene(n) enzime taken from the stomach of a cow or pig bega or vegetarian eden use a vegetable substitute
Maccas and HJ chips infact most hot chips are coated in beef tallow
canned soup chicken stock velish is safe and nommy

if it has legs, it's food."
Love this quote. :)

Speaking of which.. in Europe, peaple even eat horses - and it's quite tasty too. A true tartar is made from horse meat, not beef. Haven't seen any horse meat being sold here though.

Excellent, thanks everyone! Really look forward to going out for a vegetarian meal with my better half (and he is too, so endearing!), he's been to Lentil as Anything and we can't wait to try some of the recipes and ither suggestions - yum! :)

Kristy ..I agree ...and it is a good debate now ...just one thing I dont shop at woolies ;) bahahaha

I though there is not much difference between Woolies and Coles. :lol:

There's not - they're both the Debil. And neither are vegetarian OR biodynamic :shock:

Awww this is nice, like Christmas Day... the interesting topic, the quiet bickering, the escalating violence that is then all curbed by a stiff drink and a group hug :D I love Christmas.... everyone DID have a drink, though, right? Not just me?

I love you guys. Now where's my present?? Michael, I'd like a GREEN one from you :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back