Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noongato

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, im a bit of a anti-gecko person myself, but then i didnt realize how big they actually get. I thought they were all the same boring thing like the ones stuck on my room walls down this way.
I was just looking at the rough-tailed knobbie and saw a pik of one in someones hand, i near fell off my chair!!
So to all those out there with geckos, show us some piks with them in your hand etc, for size reference, as i had no idea that they came in a size other than small. ANd im sure alot of other people on here underappreciate them like i do too.

Maybe add what their average price is too :D, unless thats not allowed?

One of the few N. amyae I've found in the last couple of weeks (poking around central Aus for a couple of months). These fella's are personality plus.

This one.jpg

See that is the coolest thing! I cant figure out the diff between amaye and the other one (i forget) But i love that look on their oversized heads.
I have also found they are quite expensive! Trust me to pick the rich one!
Are there bigger gex out there?

Some of the samples I'm being sent from Indo nomially called "Gehyra" are monsters! But alas, as they are destined for museum collections I usually get dead, fixed speciments in jars to look at.

Nonetheless Gehra "vorax" (it's probably several species based on genetic data) is in the US pet trade:

279_Gehyra_vorax-Halmahera_Giant.jpg

and Tokays are cool:

tokay-gecko-0001.jpg

but the biggest Aussie Gehyra I've caught juuust pushes 25cm long.

I think N. asper is the other one you're talking about, although there are a few lesser known ones out there as well (N. sheai, N. weeleri sp, etc). N. amyae are the heaviest bodied, but only get to 13-14cm from what I hear, so there are longer species out there, but these are known as the largest in Aus.
The first pic (last post) was a male, this is a female and another male I found a few days apart.
The funny thing is I know herpers who've lived out here for years and never seen one in the wild.....they don't see the funny side...:lol:

Amyae and stimmies 027.jpg

Amyae and stimmies 014.jpg

Those Tokays are insane, have always been on my list if I move overseas.

I'm currently in the process of determining the status of this critter, known from one sample caught in 1979 until this year:

3047399296_c0d45a0996.jpg

Ill find a pik of the locals here, i dont know what theyre called. They hang around the light out the frount at night picking off the bugs

Nice Arete...nice.

I thought I was onto something special with this bloke, looks kinda like H. spelea, but isn't, and is well outside their range. Turns out its just an undescribed bynoes that occurs in the region, lmao. Ah well, maybe next time. (rubbish pic I know)

Amyae and stimmies 005new.jpg

Nice Arete...nice.

I thought I was onto something special with this bloke, looks kinda like H. spelea, but isn't, and is well outside their range. Turns out its just an undescribed bynoes that occurs in the region, lmao. Ah well, maybe next time. (rubbish pic I know)

View attachment 86643

yeah looks like a fairly typical Heteronotia binoei. Some populations of binoei are parthenongenic http://www.springerlink.com/content/t1156v86772x1231/ and it's a pretty vairable species, but most likely just the one.

Depends on which species concept you use I guess (and no Im not gonna start an argument about that, :lol: ). There's one spot out here with at least 4 colour morphs, and I've heard of another nearby with these plus the parthenogenic species. Its an interesting complex.

amyae are awesome, well worth the $$!!

i call them the moon men and moon maidens, they do calm down quite nicely with handling, mine sit on my hand every second night for 10-15 mins licking water droplets off their faces. :p

the only native gecko i've seen that might be bigger was the giant leaf tailed gecko at the castle hill expo last year, it was a whopper!!!

WHat are the amaye like pet wise, they quiet lap geckos or more the thrashy bitey kind?

Im starting to like these boofhead geckos....

JL like the set of denture's on that Tokay
Ramsayi, that is a top pic of the Amyae

lets not forget the ring-tails, they can reach a T L of up to 28cm :shock: and are easily one of the biggest in oz....

Attachments

• 042_wm(1).jpg
    042_wm(1).jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 73
This is one of my marbled velvet geckos. Wasn't really into geckos till I saw a full grown one of these at the Melbourne expo not long ago. This little guy is about 12 months old, but will get a big bigger still. He was about to shed, so not looking so colourful at the time of pic.

They were very skittish when I first bought them home, but as you can see they'll sit happy on my hand for small periods of time. But not too keen on taking them too far away from their enclosure, they run REALLY fast!!

Attachments

• DSC03187.jpg
    DSC03187.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back