Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can cats transfer disease if fed to pythons?
if the cat is healthy it shouldnt be a prob,,ferals would have just about everything possible though i should think
baz

I think people taking the law into their own hands is wrong. If you see a any animal in your yard that obviously could be a pet i.e specifically a cat or dog, then it should be handed into the animal impounding authority in your area. They have the means to determine if the animal has an owner or if it is (likely) feral through the magical wonders of RFID microchipping.

It is not your responsibility to destroy these animals simply because they venture on your property, in most towns and cities it is in fact illegal to do so. Heavy fines and prison seneces have been handed down, especially in cases where the perpetrator has killed the animals in an inhumane manner, such as a brick to the head.

This mostly applies to people who live in fairly populated areas, in further outback areas then culling practices for feral animals should be employed similar to those already being used for the control of feral cats and dogs.

While people are getting caught up in the whole predatory nature of domestic cats, I remind you that Australia once had its own predatory native wildlife (tassie tiger, native cats spring to mind) so it is not as if the native fauna havent ever had predatory stresses, although I do acknowledge that introduced species may have a more widespread effect. I think that it can be attributed to a higher concentration of numbers, not just of the animals themselves but of human population as well, however.

On the issue of the exotic nature of the animals, I argue that it all comes down to a matter of time. After all, the dingo is an introduced animal though we consider it native and there are many people here who are of non-indidgenous origin who consider themselves native to Australia. Alas, even those called indigenous migrated here at some time, after Gondwana had disintegrated.

Reminds us but that was a long long time ago, you can't tell me that things are the same as they were 40 000-60 000 years ago, It's a tiny bit different now :lol: Hell we had large lion like cats roaming around the joint.
The tassie tiger lived in tassie (yes there were others way back) besides all that they were native part of the enviroment that could sustain it's self, feral animal numbers rise becuase they find a habitat where they can thrive without predators.

During routine fieldwork, fresh regurgitated stomach contents are occasionally
found. One feral female cat* had the following undigested and partially digested
contents in her stomach when found at 7:25 AM on 14 April 1995:
1 western pigmy possum, 3 thicktail geckos, 1 New Holland
Honeyeater, 1 Cricket, 1 Eastern Spine bill, 4 mice, 6 skinks, 1 tiger
snake and the remains of a wallaby.
*This individual was first observed drinking at waterhole. She was having convulsions and
died shortly after. Death was symptomatic of snakebite.
Fig 5.
Fresh regurgitated material from feral cat 16 September 1997. Contents include thick tail gecko, native
bush rat, and cockroach.
Food diversity
Food species used by feral cats on the Pelican Lagoon Peninsula
* determined from fresh scat using bone, hair, scale, feather or body parts
# identified from observed predation / carcass remains
= prey species brought to domestic cat owners by pets from other parts of the island
+ introduced species
Common name
Scientific name or group
Mammals
Aitkens dunnart = (1979)
Sminthopsis aitkenie
brown rat *# = +
Rattus norvegicus
Page 6
brushtail possum *#
Trichosurus vulpecula
bush rat *# =
Rattus fuscipes
goat *# + (scavenging)
Capra hircus
house mouse *# = +
Mus domesticus
lesser long-eared bat *
Nyctophilus geoffroyi
little pigmy possum *# =
Cercartetus lepidus
sheep*# + (scavenging)
Ovis
short beaked echidna *#
Tachyglossus aculeatus multi-
aculeatus
southern brown bandicoot *# =
Isodon obesulus
wallaby *
Macropus eugenii
western grey kangaroo *# (scavenging)
Macropus fuligninosus
fuliginosus
western pigmy possum =
Cercartetus concinnus
Birds
black tail native hen #
Gallinula ventralis
brush bronze wing pigeon *#
Phaps elegans
buff banded rail #
Rallus philippensis
cresent honeyeater *
Phylidonyris pyrrhoptera
eastern spine bill * =
Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris
grey fantail * =
Rhipidura fuliginosa
grey shrike thrush *
Colluricincla harmonica
hooded plover #
Charadrius cucullatus
house sparrow * = +
Passer domesticus
little blue penguin *# =
Eudyptula minor
masked Lapwing #
Vanellus miles novaehollandiae
peacock # +
Pavo cristatus
purple gaped honeyeater *
Lichenostomus cratitus
rainbow lorikeet # =
Trichoglossus haematodus
red browed firetail * =
Aegintha temporalis
red watyle bird * =
Anthochaera carunculata
restless flycatcher *
Myiagra inquieta
richards pipit # =
Anthus novaeseelandiae
rock parrot *#
Neophema petrophila
scarlet robin * =
Petroica multicolor
silver eye * =
Zosterops lateralis
spotted pardalote *
Pardalotus punctatus
spotted turtle dove * # = +
Streptopelia chinensis
striated pardalote * =
Pardalotus striatus
striated thornbill *
Acanthiza lineata
stubble quail * =
Coturnix pectoralis
superb fairy wren *# =
Malurus cyaneus
thick knee curlew *#
Burhinus grallarius
western whipbird #
Psophodes nigrogularis
white browed scrubwren *
Sericornis frontalis
white eared honeyeater *
Lichenostomus leucotis
willie wagtail *# =
Rhipidura leucophrys
yellow wing honeyeater
(New Holland) *# =
Phylidonyris novaehollandiae
Page 7
Reptiles
four toed skink *
Hemiergis peronii
lined worm lizard*
Aprasia striolata
marbled gecko *
Phyllodactylus marmoratus
pigmy copperhead * =
Austrelaps sp
Rosenberg’s goanna *# =
Varanus rosenbergi
thick-tail gecko * =
Underwoodisaurus milii
three toed skink *
Hemiergis decresiensis
tiger snake *# =
Notechis ater niger
Whites skink *
Egernia whitii
Amphibians
brown frogglet *
Ranidella signifera
marbled frog *
Limnodynastes tasmaniensis
Insects
cockroach *
Blattodea
cricket *
Grylloidea
grasshopper *
Acrididae
walking stick *
Phasmatidae
Feral cat in live trap
Remains of cat killed echidna.
Cat kills are characterised by the
body being turned inside out.
Page 8
Predation
Research with Rosenberg’s Goanna (Green, Rismiller, McKelvey) has shown that feral cats
are persistent predators. They frequently catch subadult goannas, opportunistically kill adults
and in two cases have been documented to deliberately stalk and kill adult goannas. “…At
1600 hrs on 27 March 1996 we were radio tracking a female goanna which had been known
in the study population for seventeen years. The signal came from an area that she seldom
used. She was tracked to the entrance of a cat den in a mallee root burrow. The freshly killed
carcass was found with six other dead goannas. All animals had been dead less than six
hours. All had been killed with a single bite in the back of the head. Five were known
individuals with implanted identification microchips. Using daily tracking records and home
range maps for each individual goanna it was calculated that the greatest distance of probable
catch from the cat den as approximately two kilometres. Circumstances suggest that the
female cat had prior knowledge of each goannas activity pattern (at this time of year, many
goannas have a daily foraging circuit) and had deliberately stalked, killed and brought the
prey back to her kittens. The female cat was trapped and over the next five days six kittens
were trapped or shot at the den (unpublished data, PLRC 1996).”
From the study sites on the Pelican Lagoon peninsula feral cats have killed about 10% of the
Rosenberg’s goanna study population. Since 1991, feral cats have killed six radio
transmittered adult echidnas from one study site. In the same study site up to 20% of each
years burrow young echidnas were killed by feral cats. This is in addition to the natural
predation from goannas of 10%.

i agree with boa if the animal is on your property and it ferral i think u should be aloud to kill it humanely and that sux about ripped up natives on ur property :(

In the interests of clarity I think I should repost the original post from the original thread that got "moderated".

A Cats don’t belong in Australia rant…

If you think that cats make good pets for Aussie families it is probably best you skip to the next thread now.

I want to tell this story as it may give others ideas on how to deal with problem cats in their neighbourhood.

We have had a succession of neighbours in the rental property next door. They have ranged from the feral (… and I am talking about the people and not their pets) to some that are sort of ok. The current lot have cats and a large old dog.

The problem is that, presumably because of the dog, the cats spend most of their time in our yard.

We have tried to make our yard as wild life friendly as possible. We have replaced all the exotic trees with natives with an emphasis on species that provide habitat, food etc. for native wild life. As time has gone on we have started to see more and more native birds visit our garden which has brought a smile to our faces. Not just lorikeets and wattle birds either. Recently we have started to see honey eaters, fly catchers and smaller birds – species I have rarely seen in suburbia. On the mammal front the brush tailed and ring tailed possums are regular visitors. The ring tails in the off season make good use of the nesting boxes we have provided for the birds.

In this context you can imagine our frustration at seeing regular piles of feathers after the neighbour’s cats have had their fun. Often they are of feral doves but often they are not. When I say regular I am talking at least once per fortnight!

We have tried the cat trap but these cats will not go into it. We have tried baiting it with different meats, covering it up, on lots of locations but with no luck. We have even tried hurling bricks at them which have hit their mark a couple of times but not slowed the cats down enough for us to catch them. We have considered other options but do not wish to break the law.

The owner of the cats in question when approached has indicated that she would not be unhappy if we caught the worst offender. Apparently it went “feral” (her words) after it had its first lot of kittens. The other main offender is one of the kittens.

A while ago, after we complained they got a visit from the ranger to inform her that the cats are not to go off the property. This has made little difference. The cat gets called when the owner knows we are about but of course being “feral” has bugger all effect.

Yesterday when Judy was returning home she saw this particular cat mauling a little ring tail possum. By the time she got out of the car and chased the cat off but by this time the possum was in the middle of the road with a broken back. Judy picked it up, brought it inside and kept it warm… and then rang the ranger, then the local carers’ hot line.

(This is the second time in a couple of years we have encountered a ring tail with a broken back in our street. Presumably this was also the dirty work of a cat.)

The call was answered by Simon who after a short while said “Is that you Judy?” – It was Simon Watharow (former VHS president) who mans the hot line one day per week. Simon called around shortly after and collected the poor possum and took it to a local vet. We have not heard yet but suspect it will be put down which makes us very sad because ring tails are such cute and inoffensive animals. (Damned CAT!)

I got a call from the ranger this morning on his way to visit the neighbours. He indicated that the reason these cats do not go in the trap is that they have probably been trapped before. He also said that cats commonly break the backs of ring tailed possums and then maul and play with them until they are dead. He said he was going to tell the neighbours to stop feeding the cat to improve our chances of catching in the trap so he could dispose of it. I could not see the neighbours taking to this strategy well but time will tell.

Stay tuned to this thread as there will be more to this story to come.

nathanbrisvegas said:
i agree with boa if the animal is on your property and it ferral i think u should be aloud to kill it humanely and that sux about ripped up natives on ur property :(

I agree that there is some middle ground on this issue.

Yes the situation needs to be handled as humanely as possible. In this instance we are talking about a rogue animal that has killed and maimed by my estimates over a hundred animals and birds. We have tried manyu humae options and got nowhere. As the ranger indicated this animal has probably been caught in a trap before and is basically imune to trapping. We have talked with the owner and the ranger so the option of throwiong a rock at it had become a last resort. It is unlikely to kill it or alas even harm it but with a bit of luck, given a good hit will discourage it from our yard in the future.

If it were a human criminal necesary force is often used to aprehend them... once they have been caught they get the humane treatment. Resisting arrest they may gat pepper spray, zapped with a tazar or a bullet in the brain.

I agree it is not the best option but it is legal and if one maimed cat can save hundreds of maimed animals that have little defence against it tossing a rock in its general direction is something I am willing to try.

C'mon, we need cats, where would we get kitty litter from if we didn't have cats to make it with?

NinaPeas said:
I am severly allergic to bees, but if I see one drowning, I rescue it, with bare hands if need be. I cry for all 'feral' animals everywhere being killed. It's not their fault they are exotic, if only we could time warp back to stop it all from happening.

Every animal has a right to be here

Native bees get that treatment.

Honey bees also get that treatment being a domesticated farmed food animal... (hard call)

Spiders etc. We usually let roam free. Kind of like seeing huntsmen in our house the seem to keep the daddy long legs in control.

European wasps I have found the if you flick them hard while in flight they are not hard to hit and usually are dissabled.

I think that I see the ecosystem, maintaining genetic diversity and preserving environments and habitat as far more important than allowing any feral animal to roam where it does not belong.

re Cat

We had a cat that kept spewing and the vet couldnt fix him so my brother and i drew straws on who would wack the cat and he got wacked with a .22 in the head,didnt feel a thing :D

even those nasty star fish that hitch-hike under our boats.

if you are saying the crown of thorns starfish THAT IS A NATIVE SPECIES!!! the reason for them become some what of a plague is because of extremely low quality run off causing more algae which increase the chance that the baby crown of thorns will survive and get big and start eating corals.

i was very much on the kill on sight thing for some species of spider now adays well lets say i found a huntsman in our house who had dady long leg cobwebs on him. i carefully removed the debris and fed him a grasshopper and sent him on his way.

however for example where i work at a stockfeed spider killing is fairly on sight depending on species. huntsmans i relocate, daddylonglegs are killed on sight(there are thousands of them, good stomp on em and instant death what i consider humane) so are redbacks. i found some weird light coloured spider a couple weeks back so i relocated it as i had no idea what it was and it was the first one i had ever seen.

I think that I see the ecosystem, maintaining genetic diversity and preserving environments and habitat as far more important than allowing any feral animal to roam where it does not belong.

i agree, and i wreckon after having to deal with some maimed birds and dieing possums i would definatly be hucking small stones at em to get them out of the yard while i design a better trap.

andrew

Well we have cats, but they are inside ALL THE TIME- they are never allowed outside. When we move to a larger property, they will have a special 'outside' cat room. It will be made of net, be escape proof, and predator proof. They will have access to it through a 'hatch' in a door (or wall) depending on where we end up putting it. Its hard to explain how it will be built....

I don't advocate any cat owners allowing their cats to roam free (we have about four neighbours cats who prowl around here at night). I'm tempted to catch them and send them to the pound to teach the owners a lesson, however I then worry that the cost to retrieve them will deter their owners, and they will be put down. Many of you will say thats a good thing- but personally I don't like the thought of any animal being put down because their owners are MORONS.

But I also need to weigh up the cost to native animals everynight these cats are allowed to roam free, so I think I'm going to put out a flyer in my neighbourhood to encourage them to bring their cats inside (if not all the time, then at least at night time), and to make sure their animals have bells on to help alert any native animals to their presence.

soulweaver;
hows that even close to being funny?
Not meant to be funny ime serious it happened,when they gotta go they gotta go.

herp trader try tackling it :p and then putting it in the gas chanber for the rats :) its humane and give u a workout :p

good luck with it hope no natives get hurt in the meantime :(

thanks
nathan

after you gas it and freeze it for 6 weeks u have urself feed ofr a big olive :twisted:

Fuscus said:
SLACkra said:
...if you are saying the crown of thorns starfish ...
SW, being Victorian, is proberly talking about these
http://www.cetec-foray.com.au/RiskeNews/Special11.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/starfish/default.htm

Thanks Fuscus - it's that yellow one that I am talking about. I had no idea of what it was called though... I just remember that afew years back when in Hobart, I hardly saw them in the waters there. Now they're EVERYWHERE!!!
And common Slacky - you should know me better then that!! :lol:
Bex ;)

mmm instant brain distruction is pretty human me things. when i went to a ceminar about rescueing native animals we had a couple sheets with pictures of animals and where to shoot them! for snakes you step on their heads intantly crushing the brain.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back