Cats vs rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had an oppurtunity to feed an unowned kitten...would you?

• NO WAY!

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatelina

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
In my area we get alot of surrendered kittens that are unwanted pets. Is it ok if I gas them after I've finished playing with them and then feed them to my bigger pythons?

I mean it's recycling isn't it?

Last edited:
in my heart i think that its sad to do that but then again thinking about all the unwanted cats and kittens, maybe its the rite thing to do? alot of them end up being put to sleep or lead terrible lives anyways. but u wouldnt want people just breeding the cats for snake food either.

but u wouldnt want people just breeding the cats for snake food either.
You wouldn't need to breed them specifically...There are so many cats and kittens dieing needlessly from over breeding it's ridiculous.

i think its ok if they have died before and not been breed for the fact of simple food for a snake

as sad as it is for any animal to be set astray and to become feral, i think it better that it be used usefully than just put down and end up in the rspca trash bin

i have feral kittens in my back yard trying to get the birds now and then,
i also have an american staffy that has no tollerence for cats, except for my mums 2 which are kept inside.
even they walk on thin ice.

i'd say it would be more humane to euthenase them and feed the snake than to let my staffy shread them.

as long as they are treated well and killed humanely, then whats the differance between feeding rodents or felines?

since the owners dont care for them enough to keep them indoors, i say theyre fair game!!

make sure u remove flea collars though, i reckon they'd taste yucky,...

my python is still too small so i have to make do with calling the pound so the owners @ least have a fine to pay! :)

If you're going to euthanise them, after gassing (or whatever method you use) freeze them for at least six weeks to kill any internal parasites they might have before feeding them out.

:p

Hix

I don't see any difference, they are unwanted and would probably end up gassed anyway. people use guinea pigs and rabbits without raising any kind of hue and cry. besides, anyone who has eaten chinese food knows they are tasty :)

If you're going to euthanise them, after gassing (or whatever method you use) freeze them for at least six weeks to kill any internal parasites they might have before feeding them out.

:p

Hix

If they had been kept as pets and had been wormed (either by the owners or at the shelter) could that harm the snakes? Also, I would be concerned about the flea/tick preparations/shampoo that may have been used within the shelter...

Most of the surrendered kittens come from uncaring situations flea ridden and with a belly full of worms.

Most shelters don't bother fleaing or worming animals unless they are rather sure that they will be adopted or rescued...(why waste money ay?). Well...that's all from my experience anyway.

I doubt id be playing with them beforehand, but wouldnt have a problem with it.

re Cats

I want a tag teem event,the cats an rats Vs the ducks an chickens,held in india :)

if they usually come in with parasites and fleas i personally wouldn't do it. only because i don't know enough about how to kill the parasites.

If the animal shelters could run such a system, i would buy pre-killed kittens from them..
The money generated could fund the rescue of other cats, win-win.

They make good big python food, promise! But take the collar and bell off before you freeze them!

Its called illegal to start.theres plenty more options too feed your snakes than getting stray kittens. If you cant afford to feed your snakes properly like the owners who cant look after there kittens then your shouldnt have snakes.. And ill remember not to go to you for any reptiles, your animals will be riddled with all sorts of crap from feeding stray animals.
Do as you please buddy but when rspca comes to YOUR door about it i hope you go to court
haaaa remember how many ppl see this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back