Cats vs rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had an oppurtunity to feed an unowned kitten...would you?

• NO WAY!

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok aslan this again is a hard topic to justify as so many people have different thoughts bu killing of a cat is illegal due to the protection they have from shelters such as rspca.
if you kill cats and no one knows then yes your doing well not to be dobbed in. but when someone dobs you in you will face serious charges for it. like saying "its all good untill you get caught" same goes here. or with anything you do wrong. it only takes one person.
as for the question on why are rats aloud to be killed?basic answer.. there lab rats!!!!they have been killed humanely not in the beck of someones shed!! like cats. everything is killed humanely. and as vixenbabe said, co2 is not humane for cats

If what you meant is to be cruel to it, no you cant.

It would still fall under animal cruelty and you would get a hefty fine if they caught you..

Dead set no against it aswell.

A percent of people fall under a worse category than cats. Its in a cats nature to hunt, they cant help it, and it happens to not be their fault either that there are feral cats. Once again, it all falls down to human fault. Some people are just plain reckless with no respect for wildlife, and would kill animals just for the sake of it, with no real valid reason. Does that mean I can steal all their babies to feed to a scrubby. :rolleyes::twisted:

A voice of reason, thankyou!!

The humans in charge of the cats are at fault for letting them roam, breed etc. Go after them, get the laws changed, and in the meantime, feed your snakes rats and mice.

I do hope the RSPCA come knocking on your door when you take it upon yourself to kill and feed to your snake any "unwanted" cats.
How do you know that someone isnt missing that cat/kitten, that it got out accidentally.....accidents do happen.

I wonder about the mentality of someone who thinks its okay to take in a kitten, play with it, then feed it to your snake. :shock:

Im disgusted by some of the replies, but then again, its a pack mentality that seems to set in when someone mentions cats :rolleyes:

Oh, and Im a responsible cat/dog/reptile owner. My cats are indoors or when outdoors they in an enclosure, the same with my dogs, I dont let them roam either.

I second what ZDogs said, I wonder what DCH would think of your views Tatelina?

I was under the impression that as long as a Non-Native animal is euthanised humanely, it could be done so, Humanely would include C02 gas chambers which many reptile keepers already utilise as a method of dispatching other "mammals" While rodents fulfill the needs of most keepers why should a medium sized mammal which is not a native or endangered animal be exempt from the Menu?
Why should there be a different set of rules from one mammal specie to the next? Some people keep pet rats and mice, I am sure that they don't like the idea of what goes on in most snake keepers dungeons! Most young animals are cute, kittens are cute but also packed with protein, vitamins and a good deal of fibre. (the same as rodents) tree hugging will be an Olympic sport soon, And there must be some polished trunks in some peoples backyards....

just a quick note i was reading over a veterinary euthanasia report and CO2 was only listed for small mammals including mice rats and guinea pigs, i dont even think it included rabbits. all other animals the humane method in which we are to undergo is overdose of lethabarm. now whether this is a legal requirment or simple a veterinary protocol i am not sure but i am certain rspca would have something there stating the legalities.

omg see now were talking brains! you dont have to even be a vet nurse to know! so for all you ppl thinking bout doing it. think bout feeding your snakes the proper food they would eat in the wild..and its not cats fools!

ok aslan this again is a hard topic to justify as so many people have different thoughts bu killing of a cat is illegal due to the protection they have from shelters such as rspca.
if you kill cats and no one knows then yes your doing well not to be dobbed in. but when someone dobs you in you will face serious charges for it. like saying "its all good untill you get caught" same goes here. or with anything you do wrong. it only takes one person.
as for the question on why are rats aloud to be killed?basic answer.. there lab rats!!!!they have been killed humanely not in the beck of someones shed!! like cats. everything is killed humanely. and as vixenbabe said, co2 is not humane for cats

Shnakey - I'm not sure you quite understand the concept of illegality...perhaps those Vet nurse Law classes aren't all they cracked up to be...

In order for something to be illegal there must be legislation or case law outlining it as illegal - merely the fact that shelters take them in doesn't cut it from a legal perspective...does legislation seperating cats from rats in this regard exist?

My understanding is that ALL animals are covered by animal cruelty legislation - however - there is an accepted method of killing Rats to feed our reptiles, and I am positive there is also an accepted method of killing Cats...

Where this is done, backyard or lab, is irrelevant provided the guidelines are adhered...

So, once again, If I was to breed Kittens in the same manner as I breed Rats and then euthanased them in a method accepted under animal cruelty legislation, what is the difference? - I see none - and I am hazarding a guess here in saying that neither would the legislators...

My posts where not anti-cat, they where pro reptile-food! As I don't feed cats to any of my reptiles I haven't spent too much time searching the best way to euthanise cats for feeding.

just a quick note i was reading over a veterinary euthanasia report and CO2 was only listed for small mammals including mice rats and guinea pigs, i dont even think it included rabbits. all other animals the humane method in which we are to undergo is overdose of lethabarm. now whether this is a legal requirment or simple a veterinary protocol i am not sure but i am certain rspca would have something there stating the legalities.

...Finally some constructive information - Thankyou...

aslan.. how bout you ring the rspca and get the legisltation. as i didnt deal much with animal cruelty or inhumane manners you will have to check the legislation. but i cant tell you and if you read everyone elses post, you will see there is a legislation. if you really want to know, youd ring ad find out. let me know when u do as im intrested to know if the laws changed. coming from someone who thinks theres nothin wrong with it. you come back to me and tell me. as i already know and have told you.. but doesnt seem to sink into the hard ball up there.

have you not seen that photo that has surfaced 100 times? of the snake with the cat, snakes in the wild eat whatever they can get a hold of, they arent limited to rats and mice, they can eat cats, dogs, rabbits, rats, mice, other snakes, chickens, lizards, ducks, bantons, bats, bilbys, roos, joeys etc etc etc. im not saying it is right, and im not saying that tat should be killing off kittens to save a few bucks. just stating that your claim of "they dont eat cats/kittens in the wild" is false.

see aslan. theres your answer. you cannot co2 a cat under the guideline it needs to be done with lethabard injection.
aslan..do you have a dog?

your welcome but i believe that is where it becomes illegal, as the accepted humane way is death via lethabarm and therefore this would make the deceased cat unsuitable for snake food as it would kill the snake,.

yeh they do eat cats in the wild..and why?because of the irrisposible owners..cats in the wild before we were on the planet were called tigers and lions..remember??!! they would never be able to gulp a tiger down. its the humans that have made cats feral. and as for the cats killingnative wildlife. its natural.like a snake eats birds(and cats)in the wild. but does not make it right to feed cats when caprtive bred

Knew somebody would get there eventualy, but reading the posts up to it... priceless!:lol:
your welcome but i believe that is where it becomes illegal, as the accepted humane way is death via lethabarm and therefore this would make the deceased cat unsuitable for snake food as it would kill the snake,.

There where tigers and Lions in the Australian Bush? Wow you learn something new every day...

Shnakey - Helikaon's post refers to a guideline - of which I have never doubted one existed - however, it is still unclear whether this is legislation or merely an individual Veterinary guideline...

I am also fully aware that "a legislation", as you put it, exists - however - I have never claimed to know the intricacies of it...you, however, have already made reference to the legal training you have received in your studies to become a Vet nurse so I would have thought it prudent for you to back up your claim with some evidence...or at least logic...

...unfortunately, "It is illegal because I say so" doesn't hold up well when tested at court - maybe that is covered in your next Law lesson - let us know...

You stated that you "already know" the legalities - I am sceptical of this, however, am certainly open to the possibility that it may be true - what I have asked of you is to explain HOW you know as it is certainly a topic of much discussion and some further research would be beneficial for a lot of people...unfortunately, you have failed to answer this question each time it has been asked...

...for future reference, some sort of factual argument needs to be made in order to put a respectable effort into getting a controversial point across - a simple way to address this is answering the questions that test the knowledge you claim to have...

..."because" and "you tell me" have failed to satisfy me as responses to question since I was eight...

why cant newborn kittens be gassed they are about the same size of a rat..........i personally believe put straight into a bucket of warm water is humane would much rather see newborns get put down then seeing 6-8week olds but the real problem starts at that age ..so its a sensitive subject ........

so for all you ppl thinking bout doing it. think bout feeding your snakes the proper food they would eat in the wild..and its not cats fools!

...of course, it's laboratory bred rodents! ;)

...and yes, I do own a dog - and no, I would not think differently of it if the question became farming and feeding unwanted puppies...

shnakey,

Your the one here claiming (ranting) that people cant kill cats because there domestic animals
because its against some fantasy law you made up.

Sure people cant go around killing pet cats (sadly), but a stray cat/kittens is fair game..
at this stage i thinks its fair to class it as a feral cat, which frees just about anyone up
to destroy it, it doesnt matter much about the method within reason, so gas, blunt trauma
or a bullet. should be fine... and totally legal methods to dispatch them.

If killing cats was such a criminal act like you carry on about, why on earth did i just see
hunting magazines at my local newsagent filled with photos of cats shot to death....?

VERY NICE VENUS!!!! fire up! spastics got no brains

Your kidding me right..... you told me to grow up :)

Btw smarty pants, spastic doesnt translate to a lack of brains, meet one.

your welcome but i believe that is where it becomes illegal, as the accepted humane way is death via lethabarm and therefore this would make the deceased cat unsuitable for snake food as it would kill the snake

Helikaon - Much appreciated information...

Shnakey - ...simple see? I think the key is knowing what you're talking about..

...Perhaps Helikaon was paying attention in your Vet classes wilst you were sleeping through his Law classes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back