Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The S.A. dept of environment believe that the ''jag gene'' is a colour mutation and can occur in any sub species, the reason they destroyed the jag clutch was because it was a bredli cross, so known species cross not sub species.

they actually couldn't prosecute anyone as they had no dna profiles at the time the bredli jags were destroyed.... this is why they started trying to map the dna of all sub species in the hope it will hold up in court. I haven't followed up on where they are at with it now as I found the whole thing a joke and waste of tax payers/dept. money

It was actually the breeder that destroyed them by freezing them before the authorities caught up with him. Didn't work though and he was still prosecuted.

they actually couldn't prosecute anyone as they had no dna profiles at the time the bredli jags were destroyed.... this is why they started trying to map the dna of all sub species in the hope it will hold up in court. I haven't followed up on where they are at with it now as I found the whole thing a joke and waste of tax payers/dept. money

My conversations with them was that they did infact test the DNA of some Jags and their results were that they were 100% coastal. Wether they had their own DNA test results from various sub species or they cross referenced the JAG DNA with known results from other researchers I am not sure.

My conversations with them was that they did infact test the DNA of some Jags and their results were that they were 100% coastal. Wether they had their own DNA test results from various sub species or they cross referenced the JAG DNA with known results from other researchers I am not sure.
yes and this is why they believe that ''jag or RPM'' is a colour mutation that can be in any sub species. like I said there has been dna testing before and all sub species weren't able to be split.

It was actually the breeder that destroyed them by freezing them before the authorities caught up with him. Didn't work though and he was still prosecuted.

can you provide more information on the prosecution. was there actually dna testing done? Im not trying to be smart I didn't bother following it after I spoke to the dept.

Jags are a very complex issue for the Department. The Departments current position regarding Jags is that a Jag is a colour variation on a coastal carpet python (Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli) Jag is a term being used for a colour variation of a coastal were as a RPM (Reduced Pattern Morph) can be a colour variation of any species RPM Jungles, RPM Coastels etc Unless it’s a clear breach of Regulation 19 the Department will not be seizing anyone’s reptile collection. 19—Cross-breedingA person must not, without the approval of the Director, permit a protected animal to mate with an animal of another species or sub-species if conception and a live birth may result from the union. I am aware that there is much talk on many forums and websites that some JAGS for sale are thought to be Irian Jayan carpet pythons bred with Australian coastal carpet pythons which makes them a serious problem from a biosecurtiy point of view, but without DNA markers from our own native species it makes it extremely difficult to identify if someone is in possession of a colour variation coastal or a coastal with Irian Jaya bloodline. It is often extremely difficult at present to accurately determine hybrids and their genetic make-up as genetic data-bases are as yet, largely undeveloped and the animals can vary in appearance so significantly. However, AELERT (the Australasian law Environmental regulators network) has recently provided funding to set up a project that will development sound evidentiary tools to aid legal outcomes through the identification of forensic science markers (DNA profiles) for endemic Australian pythons of the genus Morelia (a commonly traded species both nationally and internationally) These tools will assist investigations concerned with the breeding, hybridisation and trading of the species as well as providing evidentiary support to identify potentially illegally imported animals It is very important that everyone keeping and selling protected native species understands their legal requirements and social and environmental obligations. Reptile keepers are encouraged to assist in the long-term conservation of species by maintaining genetically-pure stock. If species become severally compromised in the wild (e.g.varanus panoptes) we may have to call upon private keepers that have genetically pure captive stock to assist in recovery programs for reintroduction back into the wild. If genetics of captive bred stock is constantly tampered with we may loose our ability to reintroduce genetically pure stock back into the wild which may result in the loss of a species indefinitely. If you have any further question regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sonya Nicholls or the Investigations and Compliance Unit on 81244803 Sonya NichollsManager Fauna Permits Unit

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if they add the NW carpet pythons to the keepers list in this next addition. I doubt that many people could tell the difference between them. The only difference I can see is the imbricata don't have the suture on the nasal scale.
I know I can't completely! I often lose my MD in amongst my Gammons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back