Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah1234

Reaction score
Setting up my click clack well in advance to getting my gtp, lucky I am because I am having some trouble getting the temps up. Tub is a 10L sistema, run on a microclimate ministat 300 attatched to a 60w heat cord. Click clack is sitting on a piece of pine, on which we routered out a snaking pattern for the heat cord to sit. Temps are getting to 25 deg max, and thermostat is set at highest temp, seems to be struggling. Have placed an assortment of blankets, pillowcases etc over the top of click clack to help retain heat but still not improving.

It has been very cold at my place recently, lots of rain and living in a valley its always a fair whack colder than anywhere else. Realistically there isn't a warmer place in my household to put this.

I thought that the 60w cord would be ample but now regretting not getting the 90w.

It was suggested to me to drill some small holes through teh bottom of the click clack, to allow heat to actually penetrate into it. Would this be a good idea? Any other ideas as I would like the tub to get to higher temps without struggling.

Just a bugger as I just bought all accessories and doubt I will be able to swap/return. Help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

where is the thermostat sensor placed? It should be on the bottom of the click clack on the warm side. 60w should be ample to get a ground temp of 33 deg, a thin tile between heat source and bottom of the clickclack will help transfer and hold the heat. How many loops of the heat cord is the click clack sitting on?

Hey mate the thermostat sensor is just above the bottom of the click clack floor. Do you recommend putting it on the actual floor? I just thought that the gtp would not get the high floor temp sitting on a perch. Click clack is sitting on 10 or so loops of the heat cord. I will have a go at putting the sensors on the floor of the click clack.

Lowered the thermometer sensor, and reaching an astonoshing 25.1 deg!! haha. Help anyone?

Edit:
Considering partitioning off a small portion of my bhp's 6ft enclosure that stays very warm, so that the heat cord doesn't have to work so hard to push up the ambient temperature. Only dubious as I'd want to make sure that my big bhp girl couldn't get near the gtp click clack if she tried.

Last edited:
I was told by someone more experienced than I to make a sandwich with 2 tiles and the wrapped heat chord, and seal it up with silver thermal tape. I live in an area that gets to -8, and mah snake stayed at the cold end until i put the dimming thermostat in, as he was too hot... i got the 60 watt chord, and only used half of it. Try that and put the thermo probe on top of the top tile and see how u go.. 48c from bunnings for a tile, so your problems may be solved for $1 :)

is the bottom of the click clack flat [ underside - with no raised parts]
u will be battling to get the mid area of the click clack anywhere near warm [ or where u want it] and if u did the floor would be roasting hot . when ever i do my click clacks i allways go by the floor temp [ u can put a tile in the warm area ] and messure the temps off that]

I was told by someone more experienced than I to make a sandwich with 2 tiles and the wrapped heat chord, and seal it up with silver thermal tape. I live in an area that gets to -8, and mah snake stayed at the cold end until i put the dimming thermostat in, as he was too hot... i got the 60 watt chord, and only used half of it. Try that and put the thermo probe on top of the top tile and see how u go.. 48c from bunnings for a tile, so your problems may be solved for $1 :)

Pretty sure I have some tiles lying in the shed somewhere. Will try to find them tomorrow for sure. Cheers :D

is the bottom of the click clack flat [ underside - with no raised parts]
u will be battling to get the mid area of the click clack anywhere near warm [ or where u want it] and if u did the floor would be roasting hot . when ever i do my click clacks i allways go by the floor temp [ u can put a tile in the warm area ] and messure the temps off that]

thanks for the heads up Jas, it's a sistema tub and has a slight raised part on the bottom yes. Tried taking temp off floor but didn't work all that well. Only raised 0.2 deg lol.

Good news is I think i have found the solution! Popped just the click clack and thermometer inside my bhp's toasty enclosure. sitting in her cool end, temp stable at 26 deg. So I think I might parition a section of the cool end off, and keep the click clack in there. Then the heat cord only has to bump the hot end up a cpl of deg and the ambient temp will be nice and toasty compared to the chilly temps in my room currently. What does everyone think?

I don't know how big your click n clack is lol but with my systema I run 3 to 4 lengths of heat cord underneath with my thermo sitting just on the floor underneath paper towel. It hits about 25 degrees when I do this but as soon as I placed one of those URS Repti Hides over the top of the heat cord it hits about 32 - 34 degrees in there I figure that should be plenty of heat for your GTP. Mind you the only species I own atm are bout a yearling Childreni and a yearling Bredli lol.

I'm just using a heat mat with the thermo probe taped down to the mat and set at 35.
That way I can move the click clack very easily.. Bottom surface temps are 32 hot 27 cold.. Gtp seems to mostly at the cool end

I'm just using a heat mat with the thermo probe taped down to the mat and set at 35.
That way I can move the click clack very easily.. Bottom surface temps are 32 hot 27 cold.. Gtp seems to mostly at the cool end

Do you find that the gtp does well with the heat being based on floor temp? My concern is the little fella wont get the temps at floor level as he is perching.

-----------

Ok did a few tests, heat cord can easily get temps up to 30+ if left without thermostat interferance, but not wanting to leave it without one. With that result I have pretty much decided that my on/off thermostat isn't good enough for the job. Going to purchase a pulse thermostat asap. Hopefully will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Well its in a tiny container.. so I dont think it matters too much that its floor heating. The water bowl is directly on top.. which keeps the humidity up.
Take my advice with a grain of salt.. I've only been keeping for a year and this my first gtp.
I use an infared gun to measure the surface temps.. (hot end ranges from 30-31 - and cold 26-27)

Thanks guys will take your advice :D

Problem solved.
Bought a pulse thermostat today, temps got right up there in a matter of mins. Very happy :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back