colour change in life time of a python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PurLex

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ive been unable to find a definative answer, so i figured if open it up to you guys! (the experts :p)

in say, Antaresia or Morelia do you expect much of a colour change in their lifetime?

Cheers!

It really depends on what particular subspecies you are looking at.

Morelia Viridis (GTP) changes astronomically in young life.

Morelia Spilota Spilota (Diamond python) is much more subtle in its change over its life.

What particular animal were you looking at?

The short answer is yes.

In general, pythons with black/dark markings get a bit darker and less distinct in adulthood. GTPs have a big colour change as hatchlings and adult females are often a hormonal blue, which changes with their physiology. RSPs can change the darkness of their colour over a matter of minutes. Bredli are often more red if allowed full sunlight. The BHP calico colouration develops in adults.

My Coastal has changed alot in the year I've had him, very gradual though. I was reminiscing a week or so ago and looking at pics when he was a couple month old and couldn't believe how much he's changed since then.

He started out an average looking coastal and now has so much yellow I'm constanly being asked/told he's an intergrade :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back