Compulsory Reptile Course

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should it be compulsory to do a reptile course before a reptile licence is issued.

• Yes

Votes: 119 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Waste of time

Votes: 22 11.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgie

Reaction score
Do you think it should be compulsory to do a reptile course before a reptile licence issued so that people know how to keep the animals properly.

Definitely wouldn't hurt ;) can't see it happening though...more paperwork for already understaffed wildlife departments.

yes yes yes - its way to simple to get a reptile license, but in saying that it should go for all animals it should not be a given right(when so many abuse it) it should be earned.

after some of the questions ive seen asked on here id say YES. dont know what its like in other states, but in nsw you just fill out a form and send it away with your money. wait a couple of weeks and your licence is posted to you

Definately. A basic husbandry course should be offered and possibly a small general knowledge test at the end. Would help in weeding out all the spur of the moment, get-a-reptile-without-knowing-a-clue people who get them cause "they look cool". As lozza said tho, it would probably be a long way off.

Yes I agree but something like this has been mentioned before and I think the issue was, especially if it costs money to do it (which I imagine it would), is it might lead to more off license keeping and taking from the wild.
I used to think it was too easy to get a basic license without proving you have any idea about keeping a reptile but as someone pointed out at least this way they can keep track of who's got what. If they made it any harder it would just turn some people to keeping illegally.

Yes I agree but something like this has been mentioned before and I think the issue was, especially if it costs money to do it (which I imagine it would), is it might lead to more off license keeping and taking from the wild.
I used to think it was too easy to get a basic license without proving you have any idea about keeping a reptile but as someone pointed out at least this way they can keep track of who's got what. If they made it any harder it would just turn some people to keeping illegally.

But how often do they check? they go for the big breeders the rest get over looked.

At one time i probably would of agreed something like this would be an ok idea.

But, who decides what is correct in terms of husbandry to teach etc?
If something like this came into play, flow ons like unrealistic expectations
for housing etc wouldn't be fare behind.

i don't think there's a great need for it personally. most of the suggestions would merely be common-sense anyway. more red-tape would probably turn potentially good snake keepers away.

i think that general knowledge and/or licencing should be a must before the purchase of ANY pet! Pets are a privaledge, alot of people dont understand that theyre a lifelong commitment so maybe if there were stricter regulations people would be more responsible

A course or something may be good. Maybe a limit on which animal are able to be kept on a class 1 licence, ie easy care blue tongue etc with a required course completion before a class 2 licence with reptiles in this class being the majority of what a class 1 licence is now.
Wires and other organisations are often holding courses for carers, it could help the get much needed funds also.

Although this is a good idea, it would be hard to implicate.
Say if a question was: What sort of enclosure do you need for an adult bearded dragon?
There are no correct responses. Some will say a melamine box with heat lights, others will say a glass fish tank with a heat mat etc.
If there was to be a General Knowledge Test, it would have to be very broad and well worded.

Yes. I think I mentioned this last night, it is to easy to get a reptile and do the wrong thing before you even know it is wrong. Things like live feeding, cross breeding and so forth. I have not done a whole lot of research on my other animals, and I know some by reptiles like you would buy fish, they are just kinda there. At least have about 1500 words of dot points that muxt be read before getting your licence and a copy issued as a reminder.

nope.... would just encourage more people to buy snakes illegally such as exotics etc. it wont help anything, the amount of people keeping herps that know what is required but dont want to fork out the money is ridiculous.

I don't think a standard enclosure requirement would be appropriate but some kind of basic course so that at least everyone has the knowledge to properly give the basic care requirements

A course or something may be good. Maybe a limit on which animal are able to be kept on a class 1 licence, ie easy care blue tongue etc with a required course completion before a class 2 licence with reptiles in this class being the majority of what a class 1 licence is now.
Wires and other organisations are often holding courses for carers, it could help the get much needed funds also.

i really dont think you should be restricted in what type of reptile you get other than what is restricted at the moment because if you want say a "BHP" and you first have to get something you dont want that will turn allot of people away from the Hobby IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back