Compulsory Reptile Course

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should it be compulsory to do a reptile course before a reptile licence is issued.

• Yes

Votes: 119 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Waste of time

Votes: 22 11.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
.....Extend that through to human children ;)

I believe a test of some nature should be undertaken by anyone wishing to keep anything (much like applying for a learners driving permit), dog, cat...even fish. People seem to forget they are playing with the lives of these animals and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Maybe a general info sheet being sent out with new licenses would be a better (and more realistic) option. Just to outline the very basics such as need for secure enclosure, thermal gradient etc etc. I know that most of that is commonsense, however commonsense just doesn't seem to be that common ;)

At one time i probably would of agreed something like this would be an ok idea.

But, who decides what is correct in terms of husbandry to teach etc?
If something like this came into play, flow ons like unrealistic expectations
for housing etc wouldn't be fare behind.

Here here australis. I agree. Flow ons would be off the charts. Not to mention some say UVB for snakes some say nay. What is right everyone has a unique way of keeping their animals. Who is to say which particlular way is right even if you gathered the biggest breedrs from around the country little things (well not little) but things like thermostat or no thermostat would come into play. Would just drive people to keep illegally especially in places like QLD where you can find just about anything you are looking for in your backyardor a couple of hours drive away on the side of the road. It would create to many problems i believe.

If this was an idealistic world then HELL YEAH, but its not so no. JMO

we have driving tests to yet people still cant drive.

yes, and there should be more restrictions e.g. career, working and the sales of reptiles in stores. people that sell reptiles in store's should be certified ,approved and reconised, that they are capable of providing correct information to the consumer for the welfare of the animal and show proof that the animal was legally obtained before a sale.

cheers steve

you pay get the license and then here is a list you can have these reps. i think you should apply for the rep you want to keep and a basic test should be done to see if your fit to care for that rep.but again as sengir said you would still have problems like yes UV no UV
(i no some people have said something along those lines)

it would be good but living in nsw there are not very many courses in nsw if any so it would be a disadvantage to those who can't travel to do a course.

I think an IQ test might be a good idea... Seriously though i dont see any advantage in making licences harder to get. I think they should make it more clear what sort of problems reptiles can cause if released or allowed to escape etc. as reptile keeping becomes more popular more and more damage will be caused.

Would be a good thing but then they can't single out the reptiles, so offering courses for the birds, mammals and frogs as well would make the paperwork even bigger for them. There aren't enough educators around to be able to demand it. If you could go to your nearest Herp club or TAFE and book a course it wouldn't be so hard but it just doesn't happen.

ok so the biggest suppliers of reptiles to the public are pet shops and breeders, so with every reptile sold they should give out DETAILED care sheets/ booklets for that animal. The ones you hear about are people that have never had pets before and do not know much better, the others are from people that would treat there pets like that anyway. The people who issue you your licence should also give you basic information on keeping reptiles instead of just having there hand out every year for fees. There are many books and web sites for people to read up on their animal, but some people don't want to spend extra on books or spend time on the net, so a free hand out might be the way to go. A free course when you apply for your licence would be good, as part of the original fee.

Most definitely....
Some keepers I've met, shouldn't keep dog; let alone a reptile.
A basic question answer test related to basic husbandry and keeping;
could be provided with ones licence application for a minimal fee.
Until one passes; they don't get a licence....similar to a vehicle test.

Maybe more restrictions on the what class 1 herps can be kept prior to getting a class 2 - for instance maybe blueys and central beardies only on class 1, as there is tonnes on info on keeping these - even a moron should be able to keep them alive.

Alternatively maybe make it difficult to get a class 2. Mines sitting on DECs desk waiting for approval (I hope), but even then I just had a form to fill out. Mine was genuine, but it wouldn't be hard to give yourself an exhaggerated right up on the form. Yes, there is the requirement of 2 years keeping, but under poor conditions someone could still keep a bluey or beardie alive for 2 years, just, then get a class 2.

The problem is paperwork etc. When it can take weeks for import approvals and licence upgrades as it is, can you imagine the extra pressure of implementing a more complicated licencing system - I'm not sure if the staff at DEC could cope!

A course to keep goldfish, cats, dogs, birds, mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, ducks, chickens, etc etc.

Great in theory, but an absolute crock in real life. As much as it bothers me to see keepers who do no research on the animals they are going to keep the recent phenomenon of people on chat room forums feeding their own egos by browbeating new keepers is even more offensive.

If people are really concerned about the welfare of these animals they would offer answers to the so called "stupid questions".

I like the idea of sellers (private and commercial) taking a few small steps to check they are selling their animals to a good home rather than legislating a compulsory course. If they have good intentions they will take up as much advice as you can give them. In many cases ppl breeding animals are experienced and know how to look after them well.

Most definitely....
Some keepers I've met, shouldn't keep dog; let alone a reptile.
A basic question answer test related to basic husbandry and keeping;
could be provided with ones licence application for a minimal fee.
Until one passes; they don't get a licence....similar to a vehicle test.

Would these many of these ppl actually fail this test? i havnt really seen many collections but the bad ones i have seen are more to do with simple neglect. I do still think a simple thing like this would be good, as it would be practical to implement and would encourage ppl to learn a bit before rushing in to buying stuff. These days it could easily be done by a online multichoice test. I think everyone should also be sent the code of practice with their licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back