Council just came to take my dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol BROWNIES..... except they'd probably be "Furries" by the time they hit Victoria.

I actually forced myself to eat 1/2 a burger tonight, so thats something I guess. I think I've had about 5 hours sleep in two days. The Lost Dogs Home is open in the morning tomorrow so going to ring and check on him again.

UPDATE: I just rang the LDH and she said she hadn't been down there today yet but there were no notes on his sheet so that means he is ok. She assured me nothing would happen until the ranger contacts them so I feel a little better but still not going to be happy until he's back home.

Last edited:
The fence was almost new, and it would not have happened with kids, he is a useless guard dog,.
Well today the inevitable happened and the fence gave way and he killed one of their dogs.

Confused..?! - anyway, in my opinion, its a owners responsibility to keep their dog enclosed and not blame the fence. Ive seen it far too many times where a dog escapes, attacks, gets killed or stolen and they blame a person for leaving the gate open but don't take responsibility. Its absolute bull.. You have a dog, lock your gates and make a high enough fence it can't tackle/jump over, ESPECIALLY if its a hunter dog. If I had a dog that killed another dog, Id put it down straight away.. because in a similar scenario, the dog will do it again or worse.

Confused..?! - anyway, in my opinion, its a owners responsibility to keep their dog enclosed and not blame the fence. Ive seen it far too many times where a dog escapes, attacks, gets killed or stolen and they blame a person for leaving the gate open but don't take responsibility. Its absolute bull.. You have a dog, lock your gates and make a high enough fence it can't tackle/jump over, ESPECIALLY if its a hunter dog. If I had a dog that killed another dog, Id put it down straight away.. because in a similar scenario, the dog will do it again or worse.

Maybe you should read the whole thread before before commenting. Inevitable was probably the wrong word to use but at the time of writing the first post I was in a state. He did not jump the fence, a paling broke, right down the bottom allowing their dog entry. My dog never left the property. My dog can't jump my fence, my fence is high enough and my gates are locked. It did not tackle the fence. Please, in your expert opinion tell me why my neighbours or I would have suspected that a relatively new wooden fence with no holes or signs of damage would have a paling snap, as palings I assume are supposed to be hard wood. At the end of the day, noone but you is blaming anyone or anything, although I reacted like you initially in the heat of the moment, we are all just shocked and saddened that it happened. My neighbours don't want my dog put down, trainers that I have spoken to don't believe he should be put down, no one on this thread believes he should be put down so please share your expert area of expertise with us as to how you are so confident it will happen again.

Last edited:
There are some really good people on this list...and some that just need to be ignored. The person who wrote the ridiculouspost is in the latter category.

Please keep us up to date as to how you are going tomorrow

Take care

Elizabeth

It's great to hear that people keep a level head over something that is clearly a non malicious but nevertheless tragic occurrence.

If it's not been offered yet, I'd love to help pick your dog, I live locally (Sandy). If you want, PM me and we'll exchange numbers or work out time/place. I have to juggle around uni, but if I can I'm there to help.

Thank you mad_at_arms and Jamie.

Thought I would ad some pictures, these are from last year. Can't find where I stored the later shots so I am hoping I haven't deleted them. The first one is when I first got him and the others are at about 3 months, he still has the missing hair from his first brush with death and he had to have an oxygen mask glued on as he kept getting it off. They are a bit blurry as he wouldn't keep still. His eyes are not blue like that, that was a flash thing I think.
Your dog is gorgeous :) Good luck getting him back

Maybe you should read the whole thread before before commenting. (I read all 9 pages). Inevitable was probably the wrong word to use (thats why Im confused) but at the time of writing the first post I was in a state. He did not jump the fence, a paling broke, right down the bottom allowing their dog entry. My dog never left the property. My dog can't jump my fence, my fence is high enough and my gates are locked. It did not tackle the fence. (never said you tackled the fence?!) Please, in your expert opinion tell me why my neighbours or I would have suspected that a relatively new wooden fence with no holes or signs of damage would have a paling snap (no expert sorry, just my opinion), as palings I assume are supposed to be hard wood. At the end of the day, noone but you is blaming anyone or anything,(I said people blame the fence/gate etc.) although I reacted like you initially in the heat of the moment, we are all just shocked and saddened that it happened. My neighbours don't want my dog put down, trainers that I have spoken to don't believe he should be put down,(trainers make the decision justified, ok.) no one on this thread believes he should be put down(I read all 9 pages I think people are skeptical) so please share your expert area of expertise with us as to how you are so confident it will happen again.
(your invitation, but no expert. Id take out of it personal liability till I put my pet down, which you did first, but emotion over-ruled, and thats what I criticised. Ive known people who had cats roam/killed by dog, and seen them get the dog destroyed, which I was angry about. Or a dog who had roamed in my garden, ripped open my rabbit hutch and spread my rabbits body parts everywhere. That incident, I blamed myself for not having a fence, not the dog. And I had to put my cattle dog down for escaping and nipping at kids playing in their yard. So Im not reacting in the heat of the moment, or being heartless. I am however thinking logically with emotion separate (as its not my dog), and I try to consider everyones emotion but not let it alter my opinion. I mentioned Once a dog kills, high chance it will kill again, because it killed a dog/tasted live blood. Sympathy goes to the victim. To put a dog down who killed another dog would be hard. BUT.. In my opinion, I would have followed through, as my remorse for victim and chances of relying on a fence in suburbia with a hunter breed who killed , has high chances of killing again.

I know it was a 'small mutt dog', but it was a dog same as yours(to other comments) so I simply see it logically, considering breed of dog too. (which statistics show more care is needed and debated they should be illegal- as in singapore). Its really hard to separate emotions and you've had advice as you said, so Im happy you got what you wanted and your dog returns. Its prob. lucky you have great neighbours and everything. Although I don't agree, doesn't make me bad for opposing opinion, or someone who needs to agree, otherwise why post it and reveal gradual information. :-S ).

also

really good people on this list...and some that just need to be ignored. The person who wrote the ridiculouspost is in the latter category.
Elizabeth
Thanks Elizabeth, I'll keep that in mind to ignore those people :)

(your invitation, but no expert. Id take out of it personal liability till I put my pet down, which you did first, but emotion over-ruled, and thats what I criticised. Ive known people who had cats roam/killed by dog, and seen them get the dog destroyed, which I was angry about. Or a dog who had roamed in my garden, ripped open my rabbit hutch and spread my rabbits body parts everywhere. That incident, I blamed myself for not having a fence, not the dog. And I had to put my cattle dog down for escaping and nipping at kids playing in their yard. So Im not reacting in the heat of the moment, or being heartless. I am however thinking logically with emotion separate (as its not my dog), and I try to consider everyones emotion but not let it alter my opinion. I mentioned Once a dog kills, high chance it will kill again, because it killed a dog/tasted live blood. Sympathy goes to the victim. To put a dog down who killed another dog would be hard. BUT.. In my opinion, I would have followed through, as my remorse for victim and chances of relying on a fence in suburbia with a hunter breed who killed , has high chances of killing again.

I know it was a 'small mutt dog', but it was a dog same as yours(to other comments) so I simply see it logically, considering breed of dog too. (which statistics show more care is needed and debated they should be illegal- as in singapore). Its really hard to separate emotions and you've had advice as you said, so Im happy you got what you wanted and your dog returns. Its prob. lucky you have great neighbours and everything. Although I don't agree, doesn't make me bad for opposing opinion, or someone who needs to agree, otherwise why post it and reveal gradual information. :-S ).

No-one blamed the fence although I did mention I couldn't believe how thin the palings were. Both myself and the neighbours actually apportion more blame to the stray dog someone had happily let roam the street and jump into other peoples yards. Before the appearance of this dog both my dog and the neighbours dogs knew their boundarys and ignored each other. If you had read all nine pages you would see it was not a case of my dog suddenly thinking "oh, there are dogs next door, I am going to kill one". It was the dogs next door, geed up by the stray that had started barking and growling at my dog through the fence. I don't at all think next doors dogs life was worthless, he was a lovely little dog and I have cried as much for him and my neighbour as I have for my dog, just remember, I am the one that had to deal with it face to face when it happened.Also consider there was still another dog next door but my dog made no attempt to break the fence further and go after it, he stayed in my yard. You would also have read that my neighbours and I will be working together to erect metal fencing to ensure it does not happen again and now due to the realisation there is a stray dog entering their yard, they are not going to let their dog out unsupervised. As for my decision to save him being based on emotion, my decision to put him down was entirely emotion driven, the decision to save him has come from talking to people on here, trainers, the fact that he didn't have an interest in chasing the other dog and the fact that my neighbours don't want him to be put down. Don't even start me on BSL, there is a whole other thread on that where you can voice your opinion. As for your statement about revealing gradual information, not sure what you mean but the first post was written while I was completely distraught and still in a state of shock over the whole incident.

EDIT: Just read what dogs are banned in Singapore and my dog is not one of them although Bull Mastiffs have to be on leash and muzzled in public so don't know where you got that from.

Last edited:
are you people actual serious??
This friendly pet dog that lives with children.. has broken down a fence and killed a "ratdog" for barking...
hello?? does no one else here see the signing of whats to come?
Yes l know how attached you become to your family pet, been there done that. But l tell you, l would have serious concerns about the children that play in the yard with this animal,
You guys can think me heartless, a **$#, whatever but l tell you, coming from someone whos been there done that.. Open your eyes and see the signs before a child is killed.

We had a dog, i was 15 at the time. Most beautiful dog ever. Sheppard X Doberman. My brothe bought him home as a tiny pup and it was the best thing. We'd lost a dog to old age a couple of years yearlier. Anyway, cut a very long story short, our dog would have been 5 at the time. My brother had left home a couple of years yearlier and couldn't take the dog so l kept him. I fed him, bathed him, walked him, slept with him. He was my dog..
There was a yap yap up the street, our dog got out and killed it. We fort hammer and tong to keep our dog and did. Not 3 months later, l was in hospital after meaning attacked in our yard by our dog. There was no lead up, there was no nothing. I had not yelled at him, there was no play fighting involved. There was however a new yap yap in the street 2 doors down that had been barking constantly for a couple of hours.
I walked into our yard, called the dog and he knocked me over from behind and started biting me.. l can't tell you the pain.. the fear. i thought l was going to die.
I made the decision to put my dog down because if he would attack me.. what about the younger kids.. what about the neighbors kids..

I'm sorry for your loss, l truely am but look at the bigger picture.. it could be one of your innocent children next.. or someone elses..
I know l am going to hate mail for this, and so be it, this is purely my opinion and my experience.

Last edited:
are you people actual serious??
This friendly pet dog that lives with children.. has broken down a fence and killed a "ratdog" for barking...
hello?? does no one else here see the signing of whats to come?
Yes l know how attached you become to your family pet, been there done that. But l tell you, l would have serious concerns about the children that play in the yard with this animal,
You guys can think me heartless, a **$#, whatever but l tell you, coming from someone whos been there done that.. Open your eyes and see the signs before a child is killed.

We had a dog, i was 15 at the time. Most beautiful dog ever. Sheppard X Doberman. My brothe bought him home as a tiny pup and it was the best thing. We'd lost a dog to old age a couple of years yearlier. Anyway, cut a very long story short, our dog would have been 5 at the time. My brother had left home a couple of years yearlier and couldn't take the dog so l kept him. I fed him, bathed him, walked him, slept with him. He was my dog..
There was a yap yap up the street, our dog got out and killed it. We fort hammer and tong to keep our dog and did. Not 3 months later, l was in hospital after meaning attacked in our yard by our dog. There was no lead up, there was no nothing. I had not yelled at him, there was my play fighting involved. There was however a new yap yap in the street 2 doors down that had been barking constantly for a couple of hours.
I walked into our yard, called the dog and he knocked me over from behind and started biting me.. l can't tell you the pain.. the fear. i thought l was going to die.
I made the decision to put my dog down because if he would attack me.. what about the younger kids.. what about the neighbors kids..

I'm sorry for your loss, l truely am but look at the bigger picture.. it could be one of your innocent children next.. or someone elses..
I know l am going to hate mail for this, and so be it, this is purely my opinion and my experience.

Umm, I don't have any young children, no children play in the yard with him??. He didn't break down the fence, a paling snapped. The hole in the fence was less than 30cm square. Your dog got out and killed a dog barking up the street, my dog reacted to what was essentially a small pack of dogs growling and barking at his territorial boundary. The attack happened on my property. There are plenty of dogs that bark for hours in our street, that is not the reason this happened. My dog has never left my yard except to be walked, he has never even tried to. You just pretty much answered your own question as to why the dog attacked you. You slept with it? Did you train it to establish you were the pack leader, did you take any steps with trainers etc to modify your dogs aggression after it killed the dog as I have arranged to do. Did you take it to the vet to see if it had any medical problem that may have lead it to snap. As much as I am sorry for what happened to you, dog aggression towards other dogs does not instantly translate to dog aggression towards humans unless there is some underlying problem. We had a staffy that hated our oldest cattle dog x, he hassled her constantly from when she was a pup because he was old and grumpy and one day she snapped and attacked him. No amount of training could make them safe together, we tried everything, so, as he was pretty old we decided to separate them. The cattle dog got progressively grumpier with the Chinese Crested also, so although she attacked him, he had actually provoked it. On the flip side she was best friends with my cats and my Chinese crested and loved everyone she ever met. She also had no problem with other dogs and cats and never attacked anything or anyone again. I have spoken to three separate trainers about this incident and all agree it was incited and he is not a lost cause.

Sorry, misread about the kids.
Yes, we contacted obedience training in the area and they put us in touch with a "dog whisperer" - trainer. We went thru extensive training.
Yes, we did seek advice and have testing done by a vet - something l would never have thought of (nor my mum at the time) but the trainer suggested it so we followed thru.
We were told - at the time, the dog showed no agressive trates, he was well trained, we walk (lead on after the attck of the other dog), with no problems.. cats roaming, birds, other dogs.
We walked day and night, at night he was a little different, More alert and if someone came out from around a corner or what have you, yes he would go into attack mode, but that's "normal" behaviour for any day.

I just thank god it was me and not one of the young kids in the street what would come play in our yard, with swing sets, slides, sandpits.. you know all the great playground stuff.

Sorry, misread about the kids.
Yes, we contacted obedience training in the area and they put us in touch with a "dog whisperer" - trainer. We went thru extensive training.
Yes, we did seek advice and have testing done by a vet - something l would never have thought of (nor my mum at the time) but the trainer suggested it so we followed thru.
We were told - at the time, the dog showed no agressive trates, he was well trained, we walk (lead on after the attck of the other dog), with no problems.. cats roaming, birds, other dogs.
We walked day and night, at night he was a little different, More alert and if someone came out from around a corner or what have you, yes he would go into attack mode, but that's "normal" behaviour for any day.

I just thank god it was me and not one of the young kids in the street what would come play in our yard, with swing sets, slides, sandpits.. you know all the great playground stuff.

Fair enough but it still doesn't mean my dog is the same, completely different set of circumstances and I question why any obedience trainer would think it was a good idea to let the dog share your bed, designated sleeping areas is usually a major aspect of training.

no, he slept with me prior to going to obedience. The only obedience we did was after the attack on the dog. Prior to that, he was the perfect dog. We very rarely walked with a lead, l had him totally under control. l would just have to speak or whistle our special whistle and he would fall in as in, be at my feet awaiting my affection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back