Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Crocodiles

Queensland wont licence private individuals to keep either species of croc on the grounds that they are to dangerous. Elapids like taipans are ok though

Re: RE: Re: RE: Crocodiles

Fuscus said:
I think its a salty, or at least part of one

Yup smart Fuscy :) It doesn't show well on the photo but on the label it does say Salt water croc. How do you tell the difference between the different subspecies?

Sorry Jimmy :( I shall pull it off and plant it on cotton just for you.

Yep its a salty (porosus) note the undulating jaw line and teeth of uneven sizes, freshies (johnstoni) have a straight jaw line and teeth of unform size.

Thanks PPythons...that's really clear! I didn't even know there were different Croc types before Fuscy pointed it out :oops:

The price of the hatchlings would be around $200. I drive up north every year and get them. I dont want to retire on them just cover my costs. I wouldnt recommend them to just anyone. Hatchlings are very sensative and pick up diseases easily. They are the hardest one yet. They only show signs of weakness when its to late. I have found my freshy is more agressive than my salties, it depends on how much room you have.

I prefer getting in and cleaning out our salty pens then getting in and cleaning our freshies.Confined captive situation you have to dodge the freshies more regularly.

obee

I thought freshies were primarily fish eaters? are they particularly territorial then?

Yes thats right the anatomical features of the freshwater crocodiles' (Crocodylus johnstoni) jaw, that is the long narrow shape and the rows of needle sharp teeth allows the animal to catch fish and other small aquatic creatures with ease. They are not particulaly territorial towards humans in the wild unless the female is guarding a nest. They are also one of the gregarious crocodilians that is they live in groups or at least tolerate members of there own species. Other gregarious species do exist for example the nile crocodile from Africa (Crocodylus nicolatus). However the Saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) is largely a solitary species and will not tolerate others of its own species. All crocodylians if raised together from hatchlings will tolerate each other in captivity.

Queensland wont licence private individuals to keep either species of croc on the grounds that they are to dangerous. Elapids like taipans are ok though
Lol... love the rational there :p

All crocodylians if raised together from hatchlings will tolerate each other in captivity.
I found that partly true. I raised 2 salties and 1 freshy from hatchlings together. All was fine till they reached about 2-3 foot. You definately need the rumble room.

so salties would be better than a freshy? how quick do salty's grow? ie. 5ft within the first 3 years or what is the general growth rate?

Its like anything, you give it heat and food and its gonna grow. That rate can be achived.You can stunt them but i think thats hardly fair. Big is better. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back