Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chondros, if I were an aspidites collector, the interstae BHP crosses would not float my boat, I am all for locale collecting, as even if taxa changes, locale is locale, so the area is either re-classified into a different group or becomes an intermediate form.

Once again some good valid points made
Well i think, and this is purely my opinion that most of our native wildlife is doomed and it is just a matter of time.
With the greed of society always going to win as there is always someone lining another mates pocket on the side to get projects passed and land cleared etc and we just won’t stop it. As for the reintroduction of native wildlife back to the area it was wiped out from.. Question: why was it wiped out and what will prevent the same thing happening in the future? Mate i live in QLD and tried quite hard to get hold of a licence to keep a few macropods in the backyard as a low impact pet for the family and they basically said i had to own a small zoo/wildlife park etc. What a joke , considering you can pack the gun in the back of the ute and go out bush and kill a few if you feel the urge to. I was hoping to kick off having a kangaroo or wallaby as a pet as the norm for families instead of stupid bloody cats but not happening my friends..
Thats bureaucratic bullsh##t right there..
If the government want guaranteed species purity they can happily pay me to hold these animals for them for any unforeseeable disaster in the future..
A little off topic i know but im back. As for crossbreeding our reptiles, perhaps there is a bigger underlying reason , perhaps they dont want us to do this as it will create holes in there own legislation and unable them to control us with this whole load of crap of, Your animals are always the property of the crown as stated on our licence conditions to hold reptiles.
I wonder what the laws and regs are in other countries regarding the rights of ownership of your own reptiles?

I suggested trading some of our pets for kangaroo or wallabies to my daughter just the other day. She thought it was a great idea, much better than my standard one involving the snakes;). Although the authorities are quite right--wallabies for pets, being natives to Australia they could easily become ferral. Cats and rabbits are much better:rolleyes:

So if our wildlife is doomed, and all we will have is the zoo and private keepers, would it not be better to be open about purity. How easily can one aquire pure breeds in the states, or are they all just mixed up breeds and morphs over there.

How sad that my daughter is allowed to feed our little black killing machine (cat) but cannot help ensure the ongoing existance of a Potaroo in a similar manner.

I wonder what the laws and regs are in other countries regarding the rights of ownership of your own reptiles?

In the US you can purchase most reptiles anywhere, from anyone, without any sort of permit. You can breed them, sell them, trade them, or just keep them without any strict or enforced regulations. Laws vary from state to state, but many states do require permits for keeping venomous (dangerous) and some native species.

Cross breeding is not illegal here, and yes, it does happen. Does it occur here more than it does in other parts of the world? Maybe.. but not as much as it seems. Morelia are one thing. Jungle x diamond, jungle x coastal, etc, are indeed common. And while they are common (and all Morelia), I know plenty of people who don't encourage such breedings. Chondro locality crosses are also common.. but they're the same animal. Boa and ball python morphs are big here, but those are also not crosses. And boa locality/sub species crosses? They don't bring in much money. People want pure locales these days. Locale "mutts" are often difficult to sell. From what I see (and I'm very active in the reptile market), the most popular reptiles here are bred to be what they are.

When strange or new crosses (meaning one species of animal to another, like ball pythons x blood pythons, or chondros x carpets, or Burmese pythons x reticulated pythons) do pop up, there is as much debate and argument about these animals here as there is there. Such creations are frowned upon by a very large number of reptile enthusiasts in the states, myself included.

Last edited:
They are much more natural then any hybrid, just about all of them are found 'naturally' in the wild just in small numbers.

thanks for a responcible answer, unlike the other...

i agree and understand that albinism and hypermelanistic animals are present. but i surely dont beleive that scaleless death adders, or bearded dragons are truely present in the wild, or even thrive.... what about totally striped animals.

I just find it funny how quick some threads are to be closed but then one like this - that is not going anywhere(except for around in circles) is left open - what the?
The fact that this has been done so much and always - ENDS BADLY!!!! - is reason enough to have it closed, unlike other threads that were educational or informative that didn't last.

The question has been answered - and there are people on two sides of the fence that wont ever agree so it is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back