Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFireStorm

Reaction score
Hi,

This is not a negative attack directed at any member but more a curious question.

Why do people get reptiles and then jump on forums and ask about husbandry requirements?

I much prefer to see the posts where people have asked about keeping requirements because they are "thinking" about getting ???species.

Wouldn't it be easier and less stress on the animal if people asked first then bought later? In other words, do all the reasearch 1st, ask questions if they are unsure and THEN obtain their animal?

To me it seems like putting the cart before the horse.

Daz

Human nature to want something. Unffortunatly people do this with everything not just reptiles, In the ideal world there would be requirements based on your knowledge of husbandry for your desired pet but until then people will continue to buy reptiles on impulse. Often looking for research online after they've become sick due to poor husbandry.

Yes some times it's a bit ridiculous but, not everyone knows it all!

Or if your like me.

I did my research, got loads of advice from different sources, then come on here and get 25 different opinions on the same topic which is great, cause im cross checking the advice i have read and received in person.

Its kind of like double checking.

I guess the best way to move forward is to never think you know it all. Every now and then you will get a little gem of info and take it to the bank. A perfect example is the other day i posted a thread on sexing a diamond python. Loads of different ideas from loads of different and very experienced herp keepers. Everyone was trying to help and it ended up in an discussion weather poping a yr old snake was accurate/possible and also the pros and cons of probing/visual cues etc.

Every single person has different opinions and experiences. So its the gathering of all those opinions and melding them into a concrete plan of action that works best. You will never get that info by being shy and not asking. only people who know it all never ask a question. I personally believe that if you know that much then you should realise you don't know it all.

:lol: thats my opinion anyways :lol:

Hi,

This is not a negative attack directed at any member but more a curious question.

Why do people get reptiles and then jump on forums and ask about husbandry requirements?

I much prefer to see the posts where people have asked about keeping requirements because they are "thinking" about getting ???species.

Wouldn't it be easier and less stress on the animal if people asked first then bought later? In other words, do all the reasearch 1st, ask questions if they are unsure and THEN obtain their animal?

To me it seems like putting the cart before the horse.

Daz

You can't possibly learn all there is to know before owning a reptile. Things pop-up unexpectantly - if it was so predictable and easy then no one would bother.....

As a curious question it comes across as if you know it all...

You can't possibly learn all there is to know before owning a reptile. Things pop-up unexpectantly - if it was so predictable and easy then no one would bother.....

As a curious question it comes across as if you know it all...

I do not ever recall posting/stating or assuming I know it all.

The original thread was started as there has been many posts on a varity of forums stating "I have just got my first snake, what do I feed it, what is the temps meant to be, what size enclosure do I need....etc etc etc.........."

Do you get a car and go out and drive it and learn the road rules as you go.....or do you learn the road rules, get your licence and then get a car to drive?????

Hmmmm, did the subject state "for sensible answers"????....All to often, posters jump on the bandwagon with negative, derogative and abusive responses. I asked out of curiousity, not as a negative toward newbies/noobs or other.

To be perfectly honest, for me to import my 1st python, I had to submit a care and management plan to P&W. This had to include enclosure design/size, heating requirements, feeding regime, backup feeding regime, cleaning, disposal of waste product etc etc etc. So in other words "research"

This thread was not intended to cause a excrement storm so please do not head it that way.

Last edited:
I saw your point at the start Toni. It is one thing to ask follow up questions but the ones that have a snake and then ask the most rudimentary questions about their setup or food type etc do make you wonder.

Possibly some people do their research and then when they get the animal home they panic and doubt themselves so they come on and ask. It's still better to ask and seem a bit sheepish rather than not ask and have your animal suffer.

I agree whole heartedly Daz, i posted today about an idea i and and got slammed, hammered and all the rest.

And here lies the problem with typing instead of speaking. there is no inflection, body language, tone of voice etc. A joke can be taken so easily as an insult. Thats the inherit problem with forums. Even email. I even lost a job over it once when sarcasm didnt transmit on the computer screen.

I guess im just saying give people a bit of a break when they ask questions. Better they ask here and get advice than try and go it alone.

again. just my opinion :)

I agree with cougar here.
What's really annoying is when you're looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND OPINIONS, then some losers come and say hey mate why not try a google search or do some research then continue to bag the $*** out of you. Often you know the stuff and are looking for opinions. Sometimes makes me second guess using this site for info. But what's the point of the site if people are just gonna say 'use google or research elsewhere'.
I've received some pretty rude stuff. Some understandable. I said the wrong thing. other thing I wanted opinions people bagged the **** out of me.

- - - Updated - - -

All to often, posters jump on the bandwagon with negative, derogative and abusive responses.
Couldn't agree more. You say one thing and you get hammered. To be completely honest I'm often nervous and unsure about posting a thread coz I expect to see abusive comments. It's stupid I know but it really makes me second guess asking a question. When really we should all be able to ask questions and receive informative, sensible answers that don't put us down or waste our time.

I have no probs with people asking questions. Especially those along the lines of "my snake was pooping without problems but now won't...."WHY?" or "Sloughing issues" etc.

My point was not knowing how to care for the animal AFTER they have already got it in their possession.
Completely different matter if the animal was "dumped" on them or they took it for the health of the animal and they are after the information, good on them for saving the animal.

Yeah I agree. If you're getting a reptile you do a heap of research before. Of course you can ask opinions on how much or how often to feed and stuff like that. but basics should have been covered long before getting a reptile. or any pet for that matter.
And as you said toni, people ask stuff like 'why's my snake not pooping? or sloughing issues.' Which is great, because this is a stressful time for a newbie but this is the kind of question that requires you to be in possession of a reptile. They're asking for some reassurance. It's when people who have a reptile ask about things that should have been set up and preferably tested or running for a few days prior. This is when you wonder what they were thinking. But you feel that even though they don't deserve the help for being so stupid you still have to help them for the snakes welfare. Otherwise the poor helpless animal will die.

You would Think so Toni but some apparntly buy a reptile without doing the proper research.You would think that most people would do as much research as they could while waiting for there licence

Firstly, Toni, when Stevo2 said: “You can’t possibly learn all…” I believe you took it personally. He was not meaning you in particular. It was a general comment about all people involved in the hobby.

There are a number different issues, other than that which the OP iterated, raised by various people. This does nothing to maintain focus and address the original question. The problem of negative and often rude responses coupled with unhelpful advice like “google it” or “use the search facility” is an endemic shortfall that many of us are aware of and seek to change.

It is easy to stand in judgement of someone who has purchased a reptile without knowing or understanding the basics of care. We know how different they are to keeping something with fur or feathers or slimy scales. So we pass judgement based on what we consider to be fundamental knowledge. In my pinion, the responsibility lies not with the purchaser, but with the seller. They have a responsibility to ensure that anyone taking on as living pet is given adequate information on the proper care of that pet, sufficient to ensure its well being. Those who fail to do so are displaying a blatant lack of concern for the animal’s wellbeing and they clearly value monetary gain above animal welfare.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, Toni, when Stevo2 said: “You can’t possibly learn all…” I believe you took it personally. He was not meaning you in particular. Blue

Actually, I didn't take offence to the comment about "Can't possibly learn all...." it was the last part stating "As a curious question it comes across as if you know it all... " that I took personally.

Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree that it is in part the sellers responsibility to inform the buyer as much as possible....However, with many buyers purchasing their animals from pet shops, not all have the same sense of welfare for the animal. Therefore, as OP, shouldn't people research their wish list as much as possible and have a basic knowledge prior to handing over cash?

I admit... I am weird. I research before I consider buying, It has stopped a lot of desire and impulse buying for me

I have thought about this also OP. In the end though, i would rather every new reptile keeper in aus come here and ask the same questions over and over than no questions being asked at all.

I can definitely see how new people would refrain from asking a question with the needless flaming here. If you are reading this and want to ask a question, dont hesitate at all. There are fwits everywhere so just ignore them and wait for the info to come!

TBH if someone is going to rage at you for a question, ANY QUESTION that is, that rage is their problem and from my exp has mainly come from their own issues/hangups.

I will agree with the whole "i wish they'd ask before purchasing" mentality tho. It's like going into a bank loan without reading the fineprint before signing. What if you find you cannot look after them properly AFTER the purchase? your stuck with the poor sod for 6 months (in QLD anyway)

I know I have been on the recieving end for a few things and at the end of the day I shrug it off because it usually stems from that lack of intonation. The few times I have been told to go Google it I just ignore because they just don't want to be helpful but others generally will be.

As for the search feature of the site I must be incompitant. The number of times I have tried to search for a thread I KNOW exists and for the life of me search turns up empty handed every time, then I trwal back through page upon page of posts and find it. Grrrr!

At the end of the day it may be frustrating sometimes but we should think about it this way... There is no such thing as a stupid question because the stupid thing to do is not ask at all. If someone has impulse bought then we may resent the lack of research but it is better that they ask rather than guess and get it wrong.

I still remember when Jacinta78 joined worried about her snake after a live feeding injury, rather than worry about how to help the snake get better and educate her a goodly number went in with their jack boots and abused her for live feeding (which she was advised to do by the breeder who sold her the snake). She was so intimidated that she nearly gave up on the site. Due to some good advice from those willing to put that aside her snake was able to recover from a very dire situation and last I heard was doing well and she had learned a lot which helped dispell the bad habits she had developed after three years keeping her Mac without interacting with any other reptile keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back