Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The good thing about scientific names is it avoids confusion so I know that longirostris has taken his name from a Caribean cuckoo.

Ahhh but no, the inspiration was in fact that I tend to put my nose into things and discussions sometimes when perhaps it is not warranted or appropriate so I thought how clever of me if I took the name longirostris. But then again I could have had a profound interest in Spinner dolphins, (Stenella longirostris) perhaps.

I beg to differ. That you deemed it necessary to respond in such a longwinded fashion shows that you were anything but nonplussed. You did though elaborate my point.;)
You are quite correct. That is a perfect example of poor communication on my behalf. I should have used “example” instead of comment, as I could not locate a ‘longirostris’ cuckoo for the Caribbean.

I thought it was a good example for those unfamiliar with the way scientific naming work. They may have wondered why there is some measure of repetition when names are supposed to be unique. So thankyou for pointing me in that direction.

I should add here that I have very deliberately used the term ‘species epithet’ rather than ‘species name’ or even ‘species, to avoid any confusion. The latter two terms are used to refer to both the species epithet as well as the binomial name of a species.

Blue

Member of the Coccyzus genus. Has a common name of lizard cuckoo that it shares with other species throughout the region but Spinner dolphins is much more appealing.

In the same way that some Australian plants have shared common names, the Latin is the specific way to describe species so there is no confusion. Saying that it is also usual to be familiar with the common name so as to not exclude people outside the circle, but it's also fun to recognise the meanings behind the Latin, eg maculata means spotted, whether referring to a python or a eucalypt. I like the Latin names, they describe the species often in ways beyond any common name!

Just looking up Wilson and Swan field guide and found there are 2 Black-striped snakes but both are quite different

Just as well for scientific names so we know which one we are talking about Cryptophis nigrostiatus or Neelaps calonotus

Wow three pages from all you people.... Or should I say from all you homosapiens?

"Homo sapiens sapiens" please... don't want to leave the door open for any possible ‘neanderthalensis’ heritage to creep in.

Just looking up Wilson and Swan field guide and found there are 2 Black-striped snakes but both are quite different

Just as well for scientific names so we know which one we are talking about Cryptophis nigrostiatus or Neelaps calonotus
The interesting thing there is Cogger attempted to distinguish between the two by referring to Neelaps species as the Western Black-striped Snake – which would be highly appropriate I would have thought. Yet succeeding authors did not take up his lead, unfortunately.

I personally like it when people use the Latin names, because it helps me learn!

I personally like it when people use the Latin names, because it helps me learn!

I too love the use of Latin terms. But they must be coupled with a common name. If not I have to open seperate windows to Google what people are talking about.

I know the Latin names of the species that interest me, if a Latin name pops up and I don't know what it is and am slightly intrigued, I either google it, or continue living my life... Whichever I feel is more necessary at the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back