Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would except the system stuffs up my matrix. But remember. if little x is recessice and bix X is dominant and you put them together then you get a big X. The only way to get little x is when you have two of them. so XX, Xx and xX looks like X and only xx looks like x.

Lets say blue eyes is "x" and brown eyes is "X". you can only have blue or brown eyes. a person with Xx or xX alleles will have brown eyes but they carry the blue gene so to speak. XX means brown eyes with no blue in them. xx means blue eyes with no brown,.

Thor1 said:
its not easy.
firstly what exactly do you want to know?
I am not sure what I want to know because I don't have any idea what these terms refer to in relation to genetics... :oops:

Are these terms related to how the trait is passed to offspring?

the terms dominant and recessive just refer to the genes an animal carries
all carry 2 kind of the way we all have half our chromosomes from one parent an
half from the other. i think thats right.

Here is what I am thinking:

All living things have 2 alleles associated with each trait (eye color, hair color, etc...), one of these alleles is passed from the father and the other from the mother (ok so far?). One of these alleles will be active (does this mean dominant?) and the other will not (does this mean recessive?).

So a dominant allele will be shown in the offspring and the recessive allele will not...

Genetics at 2am................I must be bored.

In dominant mutations the matrix pete has been refering to still works, it's just that when you get a het (i.e. Xx) the defective allele expresses itself, so it looks like xx.

So, to use an example, if the presence of the defective allele x produces pink snakes, and the normal colour is brown (and X is normal allele), then:

XX = brown
Xx = pink
xx = pink

Your hets will be pink, the same as the homozygous recessives.

:p

Hix

Hix said:
Genetics at 2am................I must be bored.

In dominant mutations the matrix pete has been refering to still works, it's just that when you get a het (i.e. Xx) the defective allele expresses itself, so it looks like xx.

So, to use an example, if the presence of the defective allele x produces pink snakes, and the normal colour is brown (and X is normal allele), then:

XX = brown
Xx = pink
xx = pink

Your hets will be pink, the same as the homozygous recessives.

:p

Hix
Doesn't this mean that het for albino would look albino?

Actually don't worry I get it now. :oops:

Each gene can have any number of alleles. Many genes only have one allele, so everyone is the same. Many different alleles result in the same phenotype, so they are phenotypically silent. At a given locus, you may be Nn, I may be SS, or you may be Ss and I may be QL etc etc.

You get one copy of every gene from your mother and one from your father. One, the other or both may be expressed.

Alleles can only be 'dominant' against other particular alleles. Brown hair may be dominant to blonde, but black may be dominant to brown (in a situation like this, you'd expect black to be dominant to blonde, but this situation doesn't always exist).

So what is a locus? :lol:

Nah, I think this discussion is getting way too complicated to learn over an internet forum, I do feel that I have a better understanding so thanks to everyone for contributing.

Although, I will hang around to hear more if you guys keep going. :)

What word do you use instead of loci? I think gene is often used as a substitute for it.

"Gene" seems to be the wildcard when discussing genetics, it can mean just about anything :lol:

'locus' is a very simple concept, if you're going to go on with genetics you'll need to understand it. PM me if you like, I should be able to explain it to you quickly and painlessly. Why didn't you enjoy it? Basically, a locus is just a point on a chromosome where a gene sits.

So what is a chromosome and how does a gene sit on it? :lol:

You can PM the explanation to me if you like, or maybe recommend some good sites online where it is explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back