Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all about big X's and little x's mate. The big X with a little x makes a big X. the only way to get a little x (albino) is with 2 little x's.

so, albino is little x and normal is big X. the reason we have hets is becase a normal looking snale is actually a Xx or an xX. its looks normal but has a bit of little x in it.

now think.

xx = albino

XX = pure normal

xX is part albino (het) but looks normal

Xx is the same as above.

if you get an xX and breed it with an XX you need to draw a matric but basically you will get 25% xX's and 75% XX's so you have all normal looking snakes of which 25% (on average) are het for albino.

if you get an albino xx to breed with a normal XX you get all xX's and Xx's which are all normal looking but carry the small x allele for albino.

now look at Xx with Xx, you will get xx, Xx, xX, and XX in equal propportions (on average). Thats 25% albino, 50% het and 25% normal. Thats where you get "probable het" from.

does this help?

Hey it is 1am on Sunday!!!

SnakeWrangler: It depends on the trait. Few traits are 100% Mendelian. Most forms of albinism are about as close to true recessive as they get. If the trait is codominant, the heterozygotes have their own phenotype (which can even be outside the range of either homozygote), if the trait is dominant, the hets look the same as the homozygous mutant form (both "XX" and "xx" are homozygous).

Sdaji said:
SnakeWrangler: It depends on the trait. Few traits are 100% Mendelian. Most forms of albinism are about as close to true recessive as they get. If the trait is codominant, the heterozygotes have their own phenotype (which can even be outside the range of either homozygote), if the trait is dominant, the hets look the same as the homozygous mutant form (both "XX" and "xx" are homozygous).

But Arj, from the point of view of us laymen punters, we can't look at a snake and say, "Oh, look, thats a het for albino". We are at the whim of the bloke selling it as a Prob., Poss. or Def. Het.

the phenotype is what the snake actually looks like. eg albino
the genotype is what different genes or alleles the snake has. eg a dominant and a recessive or two dominants or two recessives.

as far as i know hets look the same as normals so there is no certain way to tell.
unless you are rolling in money and get the dna checked out.
and if anyone is rolling in money let me know how i can help you spend it!!

peterjohnson64 said:
Sdaji said:

But Arj, from the point of view of us laymen punters, we can't look at a snake and say, "Oh, look, thats a het for albino". We are at the whim of the bloke selling it as a Prob., Poss. or Def. Het.

When it comes to recognising het for albino snakes, I think we're all in the same boat. All we can do is crunch the numbers or trust that the seller has done it properly and is honest. Until now that hasn't been much of a problem. Next season will be interesting :lol:

Thor1 said:
as far as i know hets look the same as normals so there is no certain way to tell.
unless you are rolling in money and get the dna checked out.
and if anyone is rolling in money let me know how i can help you spend it!!

You'd need an aweful lot of money to do that sort of genetic testing! The carpet python genome hasn't been mapped and we don't even know which chromosome the relevant locus is on!

peterjohnson64 said:
if you get an xX and breed it with an XX you need to draw a matric but basically you will get 25% xX's and 75% XX's so you have all normal looking snakes of which 25% (on average) are het for albino.
xX bred with XX = het x normal = 25 / 75

Sdaji and Thor1 both said that het x normal = 50 / 50??

Now I am confused again... :lol:

no, they were right. something to do with tonights consumption. check the nmatrix. the little x goes all the way across

It's okay, Peter knows what he is talking about, it's probably just a typo because he has overindulged tonight (someone hide the cask from him!)

;)

here goes:

x X
-------------------
X Xx XX
X Xx XX

thats 50/50 to me.

Doh!!! spacing didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back