Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skp05

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
how can you determine the sex of a coastal python?

Is it ok to put a new 4yr old cage defensive (7-8ft) male Coastal in with my 6yr old (7-8ft) female Coastal?

Cheers.

U go and get them probed mate also i would slowly introduce them maybe out side the enclosure otherwise keep a close eye on them when u introduce. Theres others on her that will be able to help alot more on that topic!

Thanks Mate.
have you heard of a jungle carpet python? I thought it was either a Jungle or Carpet(Coastal)?

Its different opinions on quarantine time due to health issues when you introduce them

Carpet seems to be a generalization term for the Morelia.
Eg centralian carpet=(Morelia Bredli)
I could be wrong though.

can you house a male 7 1/2 ft jungle with an 8ft coastal?
also - will they breed?

cross breeding is looked down on but if you want to the two animals must be cooled to bring on mating. If the snakes haven't been around other snakes before I would get a friend and introduce them to each other outside on the grass so you can separate them quickly and easily to see how they react around each other.
If you want to house them together it's going to need to be a big enclosure plenty of hide, at least two on both the warm side and the cool side.
If you want my opinion I would house them separately and introduce them to breed if that's what you want to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for your info (Coppersimon) mate.
I have the opportunity to buy an 8ft (cage defensive) coastal for $150 and just trying to weigh up the odds, difficulties and/or problems i might face.
My enclosure is 1750mm(H) x 1170mm(W) x 650mm(D).....is this big enough for the 2?

Private message, check the Notifications tab at the top right

I have the opportunity to buy an 8ft (cage defensive) coastal for $150 to introduce to my female 8ft Coastal and just trying to weigh up the odds, difficulties and/or problems i might face.
My enclosure is 1750mm(H) x 1170mm(W) x 650mm(D).....is this big enough for the 2?

i would say that would be an ok size for two coastals, it's a good idea to create atleast two basking spots as well as two hides. keeping more than one snake together will allways have risks so it's a good idea to observe the two snakes carefully during the first few weeks...

it's good to see that you are doing your research, just remember not to rush into anything. :)

If you don't have the space to house another snake then I'd suggest don't get it. Quarantine is very important with reptiles, as there are some very nasty diseases going around that are very easily transmitted. Snakes should be quarantined away from your previous animals for at the very least four months. Some people suggest six and others will go all the way up to 12 and 18 months.

Quarantine is good. I have been glad I do it.
I have never had an issue with carpets who are defensive with humans being defensive toward each other. Not sure how this would work with species that are canibalistic.
Probing is proberbly the most accurate way of sexing an adult snake, get some good hands on instruction if you can before doing it yourself. Male carpets tend to have destingishable spurs, and some say you can tell by the length of the tail but I have found this unrelieable.

Yeah thanks (orangesnake101).

Just doing my research cause i want to breed. And with the cage defensive male i believe i can tame him with constant contact, i have no fear of snakes at all.

I'm not really rushing cause i've been looking for a few weeks for the right enclosure and Male....i also think $100-$150 is a fair price for an 8ft male.

I think you're a bit late this season to be looking for a male to breed with your snake (assuming you want to breed this season), due to having to quarantine. Better off buying one now and breeding next year. Yes, the enclosure you've got will hold two snakes just fine for breeding purposes.

Probing = Poking a probe up (down) its butt and counting the amount of scales the probe can go in. Best you get an expert to do it for you. An 8 foot snake will need a couple of people to help hold it, if it is cage defensive, it will prolly be 'butthole defensive' even more :shock::lol:

Jungle python is just what people call a jungle carpet python for short. Morelia spilota covers jungle (Cheynei), SW carpet (imbricata), Coastal (mcdowelli), Inland/Murray Darling (metcalfei), Diamond (spilota spilota) & North west (variegata)

You can house 2 together since they are about the same size. Good advice from the guys tho, quarantine is good..... introduction needs to be done with caution. Another good way to intro, is, after quarantine, put them in the other ones enclosure for a period of time (each one in the others enclosure alone), so they get used to each others smell.... before just thrusting them together.:) or even put some of ones poop in the others enclosure :shock: works as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back