delayed shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
it's been about 8 weeks since 5 month old bubs has shed which seems like a pretty damn long time between sheds for a growing snake but anyway, i thought i saw cloudy eyes last sunday (27/7) so i left him alone but then i noticed REALLY cloudy eyes on the wednesday after. now i dunno if the first sighting was just wishful thinking or not but either way he's been really inactive at night time when he's usually out and about exploring and his skin looks kinda greyish like it's really ready to come off but he hasn't done anything about it yet and doesn't seem to have any intention to. does it sound maybe like he's semi-hibernating or something cos he's not exploring at night? and what's the usual time after the milky eye phase that they shed for most snakes? i know to give it at least a week. it took him 6 days last time he shed.
thanx guys

I had to assist shed my childreni today cause it had got the shed off its head and neva done any more cause it was like hibernating so i had to assist shed it and it turned out to become a perfect shed and now i have raised its temps and it is really good now 5 weeks dont wory at all its gunna shed real soon cause it went milky.

It takes usually 7 to 10 days after the milkie eyes and in that time they are generally very inactive.
Mostly they don't even leave their hide.
Mine anyway.
Cheers

Zoe,
What's the humidity like in your tank/viv?
Some snakes can retain their skin if theres not enough humidity, can be quite dangerous if it happens a few times, so if you think the snake looks a bit crinkly, then this might be a explanation, and you should soak the snake in some warm water and assist in removing the skin, also up the humidity in your viv, as the snake will find it more comfortable.
It seems to be drier than ever this time of the year with houses using there gass fires etc...dries the air out , even as far as your snakes viv, even if you have a large water bowel etc.., may be worth spraying the viv, not the snake directly.

Hopefully this is all the problem is that you describe.

Regards,
NCHERPS

the humidity ranges from between 31% and 52%and i've heard people say their snakes shed fine at that humidity so i wanted to leave him and see if he can do it on his own before i start moving the water bowl closer to the globe or soaking him. i'm really not sure if he's crinkly or not...i guess maybe a little... :?

I wouldn't be worrying yet Zoe, as you say its only been a week and hes probably gonna shed in the next few days. Patience my friend patience :)

Zoe,
What are the temps in your Viv? He shouldn't be semi hibernating unless it is colder than your normal temp in the viv, and at that age you wouldn't be reducing the temps to cycle as he's not of a mature age to breed.
As Afric said, don't worry too much, but be aware, that if it hasn't happened within a week, the humidity and bathing thing might be worth considering.
What is the normal length of time he usually goes between sheds, you say that it has been 8 weeks since his last, how does that compare from his last shed intervals?
When he does shed, check the skin and see if there is a double there, it might explain the 8 wk + interval.

Just some thoughts.

NCHERPS

8 weeks doesn't sound all that extreme between sheds. Just depends on the snake and how much he's eaten/grown. As long as he has a full water bowl, he should be fine. It hasn't been even a week yet since you first thought you saw his eyes cloud over, so nothing to worry about yet. Retained sheds are very rarely ever complete. That is, they usually manage to get some of their skin off, just not all. Just wait it out, and help if needed when he starts. My money is on 8/4. :wink:

the temps range from about 20 degrees, sometimes a little lower at the cool end and up to about 28-29 at the warm end and under the basking spot it gets to about 32-33. i haven't reduced the temps in the tank but i've heard some snakes become a bit more inactive in winter as an instinctual thing even if u don't lower the temps...
we've only had him since mid may and he's our first snake so i've got nothing to compare it to! he's only shed once in that time which was the one 8 weeks ago and i'm not sure before that.
oh and it was 6 days between the cloudy eyes and the first shed which is about today and still no shed. what's the longest i should leave him before assisting? i was thinking wednesday which would be 7 days...?

Zoe,
I have known some snakes go as long as 14 days before they shed from the milky eye stage, this happened to me with a Retic.
Have you highered the humidity a bit?
How often are you feeding him?, as this will give us a better idea as too how often he should be shedding, as a snake that eats well(Alot) will shed more often than one that gets offered a small meal once a fortnight, if you know what I mean.

The temps you have wouldn't overly concern me, although I wouldn't have the temps much lower than 20 degree's at the cool end, for a night time low, that's fine!

Zoe, I would wait until say 10 days after you have seen him go milky, and if then it appears that he hasn't shed and is crinkly, then it would be worth soaking him in warm water.

Your right about snakes slowing down this time of the year, but you shouldn't notice too much with your CB snake if you keep the temps the same as you have since you have got him.

PM me if you feel you are still worried, if I lived in Melbourne, I would offer to come around and take a look at him for you, as there's nothing like seeing the snake in person.

Try not to worry, it's not something that won't get resolved.

Regards,
Neil
NCHERPS

yay he shed on monday arvo and WE GOT TO WATCH IT!!! it was the coolest thing to see! i'm so proud! he didn't even use the rocks we put in there he just used the newspaper on the floor of the cage to work it off the nose and then he used everything else in the cage after that! at one point he went from ground to branch and the skin was pulling off right infront of us! it was soooooooo awesome.
the only thing is now that he won't eat. and i know it's normal but he grabbed the mouse yesterday and managed to slit it's stomach open and guts went EVERYWHERE including all over his face but he wouldn't let it go - he seemed like he really wanted it and he kept sniffing it and trying to eat it's tail but eventually he just gave up and left this gross mangled mess for me to clean up! and i offered another one today and was interested but wouldn't take it...oh well, keep trying i guess!
btw what's a cb snake?

Good to hear Zoe, I got to watch my bredl shed as well, it is very interesting to watch. heheh that is pretty disgusting, reminds of ghost bats at TWP. anyway, just wanted to say that it is great to heare he shed :)

Yeah, good to hear about the shed Zoe.
My Murray Darling used to bite fuzzies in half, which was pretty messy too.
She is on to weaners now, not so easy any more.
That's one reason why I feed out of enclosure, easier to clean after.
Anyway, hope he'll eat soon for you, just try in a couple of days again.
Usually they are pretty hungry after a shed. :)

yeah i thought he'd be pretty hungry too but i think i'll make him wait. :twisted: i usually feed him on more of a time thing rather than by looking at his actions. like if he's cleaned out his system i'll offer him something a few days later but i think i'll wait until i see the hunting look in his eye hehe
thanx everyone for ur help! :D

but i think i'll wait until i see the hunting look in his eye hehe

Watch out for your fingers then zoe he he :lol:

Shed on Monday, eh? Can I call them or what. 8)

Really, good to hear that all went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back