did anyone lose reptiles to the sydney heat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to all who lost animals during the heat. :( To be honest i didnt even think about the heat affecting my snakes as they are all in my lounge room and i had the a/c running all day, i did check them a few times and they all seemed to be doing well. Must make a mental note to be more aware next time, i didnt really think about it affecting them that much :(

As Bex saud, it got to over 42C in Melb NYE. I was very worried about my hatchies but all survived. My Diamond enclosure heated up to high 30's with heating off in the enclosure. I used a water bottle and kept spraying all animals. It cooled down fairly quick in Melb so no real danger. ALso my animals are kept in my garage, not the airconditioned house, and all survived ok. Sorry to hear of peoples losses of various animals :(

You're lucky, or you must have a well insulated garage.

tweety2 said:
i didnt even think about the heat affecting my snakes as they are all in my lounge room and i had the a/c running all day
Ditto on that. We only have a diamond python and I didnt even think to check temps inside his enclosure as his enclosure is in the aircon lounge room. I topped up his water and that was it. He seemed to do ok but was VERY lethargic for days afterwards - he's normally very active.

[quote="

I'm more curious now after reading True Blue's post about heat rot cause I fed them as a New Years Eve present. (Enter the new year on a feed). My diamond and mac regurgitated theirs. hhhmmmmmm[/quote]

You should be ok mate. Most of pythons eat roadkill and they digestive system can deal with this. I freeze all mine dead rats if I get to them quickly after they die. This is not first time i done this and I had newer any problem. Just make sure that they are collected shortly after they died.
I know that this post of mine will rise lot of disagreements from other keepers, but so far I had no problem.

I was at a music festival for a few days and NYE, parents had to look after my lizards in an outdoor pit that cops a lot of sun, they sprayed them with the hose a few times. I'm very lucky they all lived! Although I nearly died at the music festival at Phillip Island, it was soooo hot, no trees for shade and our water was over 30 degrees.
Sorry about everyones lost pets. :cry:

sorry to hear your losses, i was another lucky one, wasn't home till the 2nd of jan and luckly i had the timer turn all heat off before 12pm as i wasn't home and we had a few hot days and i didn't want to cook anything, i was also worried about some eggs i had as those temps reached 35c, but im happy, they hatched 4 days later, i hope it doesn't deter you guys to get more reptiles!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back