Does anyone know how Jonno from ERD is?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncer

Reaction score
I think it was him at Redbank on Saturday. Putting a brown away and got tagged. I know the ambulance took him away but haven't heard anything about it.
Is he ok?

G'day guys,

I'm perfectly fine. It was a big Alice Springs Mulga Snake, and she has been grounded for a month!

Sorry... can't help myself...

G'day,

The fact is that every single venomous snake bite that occurs in a captive situation is avoidable. With the correct handling techniques, sound knowledge of the species and a safe handling environment, the risk of a bite is all but elimated. Unfortunately, there is a lot of venomous keepers who lack all of the above.

Cheers

Jonno

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64487

*don't hit me Jonno* ;)

Sorry... can't help myself...

G'day,

The fact is that every single venomous snake bite that occurs in a captive situation is avoidable. With the correct handling techniques, sound knowledge of the species and a safe handling environment, the risk of a bite is all but elimated. Unfortunately, there is a lot of venomous keepers who lack all of the above.

Cheers
Jonno

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64487

*don't hit me Jonno* ;)

:lol: @ wrasse :D

Glad your ok Johno. Accidents do happen sometimes.

Ah Miss Dannielle, you'll keep!

Unfortunately when doing a show, one of those three key safety factors is eliminated; a safe handling environment. Whilst I am not trying to excuse the bite - it was 100% avoidable and 100% my fault - there were several contributing factors the culminated in me spending two nights in hospital.

We try and make sure that most of our non-interactive animals are as close to their wild counterparts as possible. Personally, demonstrating tame captives that do nothing but sit there and look pretty is boring and non-educational. We have Beardies that flare up, we have Bluey's that gape at us, goanna's that tail whip, and of course, snakes that bite. Obviously, we also have animals that are totally contrary to the above, which we use for hands-on demonstrations. The point being is that by using these animals with lots of "personality" it increases the risk to us personally, and coupled with several other factors like our PA system breaking down, a motorcycle burnout competition happening in front of us and finally, myself turning my attention from the snake to a member of the public as they asked a question, it has resulted in me being bitten.

As soon as I was bitten, I informed Sharna who immediately applied pressure immobilisation. I sat down in the pit and answered everyones questions about what had just happened, what we were doing and what was going to happen.

By the looks of things I am lucky enough to escape with little more than a very swollen hand and forearm. I was confident that it wasn't going to be a serious bite, as it was very quick and therefore didn't inject much venom at all. I am currently attending hospital every 12 hours to monitor my Creatine Kinase levels which have been steadily rising. If these continue to rise I may require further treatment.

A big thanks to Dr Bryan Fry, Dr Bill Nimo and Peter Mirtschin for their advice and knowledge.

Cheers,

Jonno

"G'day,

Cheers

Jonno"

Dude, firstly glad your alright......and to think I was with you all the way on that thread, arguing my butt off...:lol::lol::lol:
Now, doesn't that suck when that happens....but I have to ask, how did it happen?

Well you already answered it, we must have been typing the same time...:oops:
You gotta be quick around here!

Glad to hear you are ok. Did you require any anti-venom?

hey there

a little off target but were you at the gold coast show in mudgeerabah?

and hope everything comes right! naughty snake lol

: )

G'day whisper,

That was us. Did you enjoy the show?

Also, I didn't receive any antivenom.

Cheers

yes, i thought it might have been.

wonderful show you have going.
watched one of the shows before you went on stage as well as the one on stage.
can see how hard it would be to deal with people and keep attention on snakes.

all the best. : )

I have a question... On exactly what day did this happen?

You see, only a couple of days ago, I had the pleasure of being lectured by Jonno on handling and responsibility. I didn't appreciate that he suggested that I'm an incompetent keeper. He was quick to state that he was "one of the few" people who could claim to have the "title" of never receiving a bite (on a technicality, but we won't mention the P. colletti tooth that he managed to be envenomated by). A tad arrogant I thought, but hey, I wore it. I just want to know... was that statement true? Had you never received a 'bite' from a venomous snake? Or did this bite occur the very day after I was privileged enough to receive the lecture from a man with such a prestigious title?

You suggest that handling in a shopping centre is uncontrolled, and that that is a mitigating factor in the bite you received. When I juxtapose a shopping centre to the bush, I see many similarities - unpredictable noises, rough terrains and obstructions, etc. Yet I fail to see other people receiving tags and suggesting that the bush was a mitigating factor. Bottom line is - know the scenario you're in - no ifs or buts.

All bites are avoidable, yes. And no one deserves one (nor do the families of those who receive them).
But good comes from all that's bad. In this case, I can only hope that reality kicks in.

Cheers,
Aaron.

That statement is still absolutly true in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back