Does anyone use flood lights from bunnings? for heat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noah2112

Reaction score
hey :)
i saw these flood lights at bunnings the other day and there 80w and pretty heavy, will they put heat out like other heat bulbs? because there only 8$ which is cheap.

thanks.

There is nothing special about most heat globes...

Mostly just ES Screw fittings with either a spot heat or wide angle...

I know some places use the 120-150W spot heat lamps in large enclosures (very large) but in mine in winter i use 100W phillips spot lamps and in summer between 50-75W depending on temp ranges...

They are for the dragons, for snakes i use the black/blue bulbs...

Yeah you realise after spending lots of money on special "reptile" globes that the ones from bunnings do exactly the same job. Just make sure they are ES fitting globes. The phillips flood lights are good too. They are only about $3 each

We do. They are heaps cheaper, and do the same job. They give a bright light, instead of a red light, but the snakes don't seem to mind.
And it stops the house looking like a brothel from the road ;)

I use a spotlight globe (from Bunnings) for my BTLs as a heat source. It cost me a grand total of $4. It shines directly down onto a black slate tile (also from Bunnings) They get basking time outside so they get their UV.

I use the floodlights from woolies on a timer.
Never had a problem.

On a similar note, does anyone spend the $40+ dollars each on UV globes for lighting or go for the supermarket brands for $7 a pair? Is the UV such an important requirement for pythons or is a bit of time in the sun now and then enough?

I think we're really taken for a ride with the cost of reptile products. Fake plants are another ripoff from pet suppliers.

I don't use the ones from the shops cos I think the reptile ones are a certain UV spectrum.

I heard certain spectrums can be fatal to reptiles?

I could be wrong though as I haven't really looked into it, just something I picked up from keeping fish and plants.

King sirloin.......Look up sylvania lighting, uv globes at a fraction of the cost made in australia. They are available through most lighting shops, if not, they can get them. They range from $5-$15.......from memory.

Oh yeah, they are specific reptile globes.:)

I had a red party flood light on my Jungle Python's enclosure.. Seemed to work well, particularly when used with a dimmer. Now I'm just using a ceramic globe with a simple on/off thermostat.

I use flood lights for heating my lacie they work well and as you mentioned there cheap theres the heat globes you buy for enclosers are over priced they work no better and floodlight are more concentrated and give out a wider angle of heat/light

yeah thats what i thought as well. Because i looked at them at bunnings and they didnt look right.

but then again ive seen people just use ordinary house bulbs for uv.

so the bulbs from bunnings with wattage better for power bills? and do they have cages big enough for spotlight bulbs?

The wattage will be the same as the reptile ones so that won't change. They are just much cheaper to buy. The cages might be an issue. I don't think I've seen many big enough for the ones you're talking about. If you just use regular ones though you'll be fine

I'm always looking out for a cheeper way of doing things so for me it's bunnings heat globes all the way. they do exactly the same thing that anything in the pet shops do and they only cost about $10 rather than $60-$80 or something rediculous like that in the pet shop. Just because it says URS or Reptile One on the box doesn't make it do anything diferent.

We do. They are heaps cheaper, and do the same job. They give a bright light, instead of a red light, but the snakes don't seem to mind.
And it stops the house looking like a brothel from the road ;)
Hey Shellfisch do you find that the pythons get weirded out by having a bright white spotlight in their enclosure all day and night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back