Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrBredli

My juvenile Spotted Python thinks it's a fully grown Anaconda, it is trying to devour me as i type (with one hand). I only got him a few weeks ago and he is very snappy, so i have just got him out for a bit of handling and as expected he latched straight onto my finger. 15 mins later he finally lets go. For the next 5 mins he explores my fingers and hand pushing his nose right up against my skin. I thought it was a bit unusual as that is what a snake would usually do to its prey after it has made the kill- sizing it up, looking for a good place to start swallowing etc. I thought surely he can't still think i'm edible. I was wrong. He has since made at least 5 atempts to "swallow" me. Unbelievable... Make that 6 attempts..

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

P.S. He is not striking me each time, he is dead set trying to eat me... taking his time about it too.

P.P.S. Make that 7 attempts... :roll:

Well, it took him a while but he finally worked his way to the tip of my finger. Probably not one of the smartest things i've done but i just had to see how serious he was, so i let him have a go... After i'd lost about an inch of my finger i started to fear for my life :roll: so i blew (air) in his mouth and he spat me out.. I hope he grows out of this soon. What am i supposed to do if everytime i pick him up he trys to eat me? :(

Yeah thats a pretty common thing with Anterasia, I've been caught in that situation quite a few times, but thats my own stupid fault!!! lol. It is very funny the first few times watching a snake think its got the biggest meal it'll ever get to eat!!

Yeah MRBREDLI my mother inlaw has a spotted and she complained to me that hers kept latching on and trying to devour her...LOL.... It is now about 8 or 9 months old and is out of that stupid effort. So I guess with a lil handling... washing your hands properly.... and some time it will stop..:)

My 4 year old still does it, you learn to read the signs. :p

re Dumbest

Had a little woma do that bredli the goy that had him onley fed him little fuzzys and he was a tiny yearling,also saw a bhp do the eat the hand routine to a girl to her horror.Its a sign of a very hungry snake,some people actually under feed pythons though they are in the minority. :D

My childrens has never even struck so no dramas there but my coastal (who has since calmed down) once did the same thing to my finger. Took his bloody time finding the right spot, was holding on tight in a couple of coils and then went and opened his mouth slowly and latched on for a couple of mins. He is only a juvie so I didn't feel a thing but it was cool to watch :)

thank god my bredli nows the difference between my hand and rats!

still that sounds very funny!

re Dumbest

zulu said:
Its a sign of a very hungry snake
That's a load of misinformed rot.

My Spotted is far from underfed and is certainly not hungry, he is simply an opportunist.

hahah that sure is a funny story.

My little bredli has looked at my fingers and thought bout it, but i think he prefers rats

i am glad you are getting help, i posted the same question a few months ago .about my diamond as she does exactly the same thing. some people tried to help by saying she was hungry ( althuogh i plainly stated that i fed her a large food item EVERY week) and one person told me that people like me should not have reptiles and should stick to kittens and puppies.
Good luck on trying to get some helpful advice :D

Pics or it didn't happen!

I took some pics on my mobile, but i can't transfer them to my computer. If someone is able to do that then PM me your mobile number and i'll send them to you.

Just a thought, do you recogn that if you washed your hands before playing with your python in a small amount of alcohol (i dont no like diluted mouth wash or metho), it might discourage your python from taking a bite from you or do you recogn that it bite you more often because its not used to the smell of the alcohol? or would the alcohol on your hands be harmful to the pythons skin?

re Dumbest

Wrasse said:
zulu said:
Its a sign of a very hungry snake
That's a load of misinformed rot.

My Spotted is far from underfed and is certainly not hungry, he is simply an opportunist.
PMSL wrasse you reckon they eat your fingers because there not hungry,i loved the bit about him being an opportunist :lol: entrepenurial skills,mine dont do it i feed them enough that they arnt hungry like that,if they do it they want to eat they arnt into sporting and leisure activities :lol:

re Dumbest

Big_Mac said:
i am glad you are getting help, i posted the same question a few months ago .about my diamond as she does exactly the same thing. some people tried to help by saying she was hungry ( althuogh i plainly stated that i fed her a large food item EVERY week) and one person told me that people like me should not have reptiles and should stick to kittens and puppies.
Good luck on trying to get some helpful advice :D
You have been told an answer to your question before but you dont believe,so why ask and waste peoples time in the first place,ask ronny mcdonald he will know. :wink:

Pic from MrBredli's Phone

Here is the pic from MRBREDLI'S Phone......... I couldnt do anything about the quality....sorry...

deathinfire said:
Just a thought, do you recogn that if you washed your hands before playing with your python in a small amount of alcohol (i dont no like diluted mouth wash or metho), it might discourage your python from taking a bite from you or do you recogn that it bite you more often because its not used to the smell of the alcohol? or would the alcohol on your hands be harmful to the pythons skin?

Tried and do that without prevail. I use microshield hand rub before & after handling any of my reptiles, but my 2 1/2 yr male childreni still insists on attempting to eat my thumb. All I can think of is that it must appear as a rat pup to him. He obviously isn't concerned about the odour. I have had a few snappy snakes calm down since I have been using this spray. Not this lil male though. (And it has nothing to do with hunger)

As I said my mother in laws has calmed down to her... I have two carpets..One of them has been a lil snappy but she is learning not to.. I use the same soap, in a dispenser everytime I wash my hands before touching them. And also I approach them when picking them up with a closed fist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back