Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How cool is that photo MRBREDLI!

- Wont show my wife though as I don't think it will help the "I *am* getting a bloody snake - you just try and stop me..." cause.

re Dumbest

Glimmerman said:
deathinfire said:
Just a thought, do you recogn that if you washed your hands before playing with your python in a small amount of alcohol (i dont no like diluted mouth wash or metho), it might discourage your python from taking a bite from you or do you recogn that it bite you more often because its not used to the smell of the alcohol? or would the alcohol on your hands be harmful to the pythons skin?

Tried and do that without prevail. I use microshield hand rub before & after handling any of my reptiles, but my 2 1/2 yr male childreni still insists on attempting to eat my thumb. All I can think of is that it must appear as a rat pup to him. He obviously isn't concerned about the odour. I have had a few snappy snakes calm down since I have been using this spray. Not this lil male though. (And it has nothing to do with hunger)
Its eating your finger and you say well it must appear as a rat pup to him and then you say its got nothing to do with hunger :shock: Its not albert einstein stuff here,this post should have been called the dumbest keepers ever,give the snakes a break :roll:

I think it looks hilarious. However I'm sure some of those with hard to feed snakes would be cringing at this thread.

Thanks for posting the pic surfcop.

Its eating your finger and you say well it must appear as a rat pup to him and then you say its got nothing to do with hunger :shock: Its not albert einstein stuff here,this post should have been called the dumbest keepers ever,give the snakes a break :roll:
Zulu, an animal that try's to swallow something 500 times larger than itself is not what i would call an intelligent animal. Hence the title of the thread. The snake is fed every 3 days, so is not overly hungry, but obviously to be trying to eat something, he must have a little rumbling in the stomach so to speak.

MrBredli said:
Thanks for posting the pic surfcop.

Zulu, an animal that try's to swallow something 500 times larger than itself is not what i would call an intelligent animal. Hence the title of the thread. The snake is fed every 3 days, so is not overly hungry, but obviously to be trying to eat something, he must have a little rumbling in the stomach so to speak.

re Dumbest

Rumbly tummy HA HA now thats hungry :lol:

Zulu, i don't see your point. I could offer any of my snakes food at anytime and they will always eat it. However, this is the only snake that will try and eat me. It's not that he is so hungry he will eat anything. He just doesn't really know what is food and what isn't.

re Dumbest

I believe you Mr Bredlie 8) :lol:

Give up Zulu, I think this time you might be beat. Snakes are opportunistic feeders and it appears, in my experience, the Spotted Pythons particularly so.

Go bark up someone elses tree and stir them up instead.

I have a spotted that's 11mths old that does this on occasions. She is well fed. She generally starts rubbing her nose along my hand before she attempts to devour it. She does seem to be doing it less as she gets older.

re Dumbest

zulu said:
this post should have been called the dumbest keepers ever :roll:

I guess then it's appropriate that Zulu has been prolific in this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:p

Hix

re Dumbest

Wrasse said:
Give up Zulu, I think this time you might be beat. Snakes are opportunistic feeders and it appears, in my experience, the Spotted Pythons particularly so.

Go bark up someone elses tree and stir them up instead.
Spotted pythons take up there positions around caves etc when they are hungry and wait for an opportunity to catch it,if they are not hungry they dont take up the opportunity.My snakes including spotteds dont do the eat the fingers routine because i keep themoof the boil by feeding them appropriate sized food items.If you give a snake the opportunity to feed in the winter which is in the mating period for many northern species they sometimes eat but mostly decline because the warmth stimulates hunger which predesposes them to lay in wait or search for prey in warm months.In captivity the the young snakes are kept warm all the time which stimulates the feeling of constant hunger hence the agro feeding response. Cheers :lol:

re Dumbest

Hix said:
zulu said:
this post should have been called the dumbest keepers ever :roll:

I guess then it's appropriate that Zulu has been prolific in this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:p

Hix
PMSL HIX :lol: :lol: :lol:

I grow my carpets to 5-6' by one year of age, my spotteds to 90cm or so by one year of age... I feed them well by anyone's standards and I've had mine attempt to swallow my hands or fingers, occassionally getting a whole finger down their throat, I've even had outright obese snakes attempt to eat me. It's nothing to do with being starved, it's a matter of what they recognise as food. On the other side of the coin, I have snakes which will launch themselves at one type of food, but remain utterly disinterested in another, even if very hungry, this is exactly the same as a snake not attempting to eat a human; they (usually) just don't recognise them as food. If a snake recognises people as food, they'll attempt to eat them as readily as they will take a rodent. Extremely hungry snakes don't tend to eat people any more than very well fed snakes, unless you've wiped yourself down with rat urine. If the snakes were attempting to ingest people because they were underfed, but ordinarily wouldn't see them as food, they would attempt to eat wood, rocks etc etc, which clearly isn't the case. A healthy snake should pretty much always be wanting to eat, if you have a snake which refuses food (other than when it's sloughing etc) you're overfeeding it terribly.

Are you trying to say that snakes must be fed until the point at which they refuse food if they are to be safely handled?

zulu wrote: ? this post should have been called the dumbest keepers ever

I guess then it's appropriate that Zulu has been prolific in this thread.

Hix

And it follows that you couldn't resist jumping in ;)

(Yes, I can see the irony, don't worry ;) )

Just a quick update on the little guy... I threw a couple of mice in his tub yesterday (first time I hadn?t hand fed him) and to my surprise, 15 mins later he hadn?t eaten either of them. I watched him for another 10 mins as he searched and searched. A number of times he stumbled across the mice and then moved on, as though they weren?t even there. So I picked a mouse up and put it in front of him and he struck it instantly- like he hadn?t eaten in a month. The same with the second mouse also.

This, along with the fact he tried to eat me, suggests to me that this snake has a very poor sense of taste. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back