Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just a quick question. I think my berdli hatchie is comeing up for a shed. Should i try and feed her or should i wait till she has shed?

you can still offer food they will only take it if they want to, what stage of the shed is she/he up to, have they eyes cleared yet or are they still cloudy

Wait. Chances are she could refuse if she is going to shed.

um her eyes are still couldy. thanx guys i think i will wait.

whilst she is still a new snake though it is better to find out if they will feed while shedding (all bar one of mine do), at the moment she would only be eating pinkies so i would rather find out now with a 50c food item then later on when you are looking at a little more expense

it depends on if you think she would eat? as some of my pythons will eat when they are coming up for a shed and others will not. just depends on snake.

Rick

she eats fuzzies without any trouble and i pay $2.50 for them!!!! does anyone know were i can get cheaper food?

at 2.50 for a fuzzy you are getting ripped, sorry i cant help you in sydney but have you looked into breeding for yourself?? just a thought and would put an end to your costs (or at least a big dent in them)

Yeh i no. But i only have one snake so i dont know if it is worth it breeding my own.

freeze them (opinions vary) from 6-12 months, or sell them and make some pocket money on the side for more snakes.... its a win win situation

It's worth it Ether. Get 1.3 mice, freeze a heap of fuzzies, then a heap of weaners, then a heap of adults, then cull the lot and wait till you nearly run out and buy some more breeders.

ether,

1.50 for a fuzzy at Minto Pets ... not sure where you are but if you want there number/address let us know.

I think your all getting ripped at those prices ( no offence ). We get them already frozen for 60 c each and dont have to worry about the breeding thing. Surely someone over there must be breeding big time and able to sell them cheaper than that.

Wow ether that's scary :) I was going to post the same question yesterday because my baby girl is coming up for a shed and her eyes went opaque on the weekend when she was due for another feed...I thought I'd offer it to her anyway and if she didn't want to eat it she wouldn't and sure enough she stuck her nose up at it. When you guys said her eyes would go opaque and milky when she is going to shed - damn - you weren't kidding! I was quite shocked at how milky they actually went so quickly!

looks like we're in the same boat ether (cept for the shed)

i bought a pair of adult mice last week so i wouldnt have to keep buying frozen 4 my little bredli. it really is worth it wen u add it up

cheers, jono

me 50 cents each i sell em for but only sell normal mice live supers frozen

There is no harm in letting your snake miss a feed until it has shed. Just think, it will be easier for it to get the skin off without a lump in its belly.
Ether where are you in sydney, I am out near penrith, I may be able to supply you with some mice

Woma's, lots of us breed mice and rats, some even semi comercially. The problem is, it aint no where near worth it to sell some fuzzies for 50c each (my prices) to someone who has 1 spotted python. Unless dealing with a friend (and even then they have to pick up from here) I don't take an order that is under $10. I'm sure you can understand when the profit margin is lucky to be 50% that a $2.50 order that requires a phone call, someone coming to your house that you don't know and the time taken to deal with that person.....it's better that they buy from a pet shop or breed their own.

HA all you guys are getting ripped off. I get adult rats for 50c each and large mice for 40c each, but I still breed my own, because I think when you are breeding your own food you are more involved in the hobby, and become experienced in different aspects of the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back