Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carney said:
red belly or stephens banded snake for sure but if your a beginner you only have afew choices the red belly, a colletts snake,white crowned snake, collared whipsnake, paleheaded snake,broadheaded snake, stephens banded snake,whiphooded snake, Mallee Black-backed Snake, Spectacled Hooded Snake, Eastern Bandy-bandy.

What!? Your reccomending Hop's for a begginer? Where did you hear that all those snakes where good begginer snakes??

Carney said:
red belly or stephens banded snake for sure but if your a beginner you only have afew choices the red belly, a colletts snake,white crowned snake, collared whipsnake, paleheaded snake,broadheaded snake, stephens banded snake,whiphooded snake, Mallee Black-backed Snake, Spectacled Hooded Snake, Eastern Bandy-bandy.

some of those species are 1.extremely aggressive 2.rare in captivity 3.hard to feed... i mean why you would recommend a bandy bandy to anyone is beyond me.

i realise your just listing options... but just because you can keep something (according to licensing) doesnt mean you should.

I still recon tigers,same as s-man, ya get some awsome ones and most, especally captive bred ones become very docile. I think the most I had at one time was 80 odd, most of em I'd breed myself.
Love Tigers.

Hmmmmm tigers,

Very cool, but arent the consequences of its bite a bit too severe for someone who has limited ven experience?

The problem with tigers is if your a novice they will bite you if you try to head them.
They have the knack of pulling there skull back into there skin then next thing you know their mouth is next to your thumb. Very cool indeed.
They are also the snake that seems to mange to kill old showmen. How many times have I read "he died after being bitten by his favourite tiger. In there also lays the "Favourite tiger" as well.
My avatar is a "favourite tiger" and its like a python.

none of these bites are fun,,you can spend days/weeks in hospitol after any snake envenomates you,
jmo tigers have a pretty slow strike which gives you more of a chance to dodge..
..copperheads and blacks while "less likely" to bite are very fast when they want to be, ...no doubt tigers can be to and ive just been lucky,lol,
ive had copperheads and blacks turn their mouth around while holding the head, personally, i feel "safer" with tigers
oh yes, and the only time ive ever been biten by a ven was by a very angry black..but i was entirely to blame as is always the case

Brodie
The Pilbara adders are reasonably quiet snakes to handle. Although Pyrrhus a nervous snake they still show reluctance to bite and prefer to just flatten their bodies out and curl up in a ball.
Also you might want to change your statement on Hoplocephalus too, might kill you from a good bite.
Cheers Dave

If you don't mind catching garden skinks when they're juvies Marsh Snakes are quite a good elapid to keep as a starter, also when (um I mean if) you get bitten its not going to be fatal.

Other than that RBB are pretty easy to feed, they look great and are diurnal

imop, tigers are one of the easiest to head, the boof head makes it easy to get thumb and 2nd finger,first on head, hooked in. But of course this should only be done for medical reasons other wise dont do it.

Hi Brodie, yeah i have found my 8 keepers are quite good. I do have one nervous adder, but it just moves around alot when the lid is off. Of the two adders found up here most wild one's just seem to flatten out in a ' c ' shape and bluff lots if approached really close or touched . I have nudged several a few time's before they would strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back