Enclosure sizes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieBen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I was just wondering on enclosure sizes for a adult size coastal. As much as i would love to build my own, I don't have the tools or the smarts to pull it off and i have found a reasonable priced place in Adelaide that could do it for me ( the way i would like it done to ).

I am sorting out my license this month and after having my coastal i absolutely love caring for her, and have somewhat been bitten by the hobby bug, and once my permit comes through ( if it does ) would like to slowly expand a little bit.

I am just wondering if a 2x2x6 ( LxWxH ) enclosure would be suitable for her once she is fully grown, i understand the the more room the better, but if i do expand the number of animals i own space would be a bit tight to have a 6x2x6 ( LxWxH ) for each one.

Any thoughts on the matter would be great,

And i would just like to thank everyone that contributes to APS, it can be so daunting becoming a new owner of a pet that is not considered " normal " i guess, and i was crapping my pants with everything because it was all new, but all the advice and points that you read or get from here makes it a lot easier. My first shedding experience was exactly the way it was explained here, I knew what to do with the tiny bit that got stuck on the tip of the tail, organising how much to feed her and what size was also learn't from here, husbandry was learn't from here, everything, and even if i can't find the thread a quick Google of the question normally points me back here anyway ( and i did Google this one, but i didn't find these exact dimension, and no doubt someone will and i will feel like a dumbass, but you get that once in a while i guess )

Anyway, thanks again to everyone and APS.
AussieBen

Personally I would not have a tall enclosure for a coastal. Even though they don't mind climbing it would be better for it to have the floor space to move around on. A 6Lx3Wx2H would be a good size. If you're pushed for space then a 4Lx2Wx2H would be enough to meet regulations, in NSW anyway.

Personally I would not have a tall enclosure for a coastal. Even though they don't mind climbing it would be better for it to have the floor space to move around on. A 6Lx3Wx2H would be a good size. If you're pushed for space then a 4Lx2Wx2H would be enough to meet regulations, in NSW anyway.

Thanks [MENTION=36803]Senator358[/MENTION], those dimensions would be fine, i guess it would be a sacrifice of one or the other. To go length ways gives the opportunity to stack as long as the temps can be maintained, or to go for height and sacrifice the length. Would those sort of dimensions be Ok for most snakes, eg. Darwin pythons, Bredli's so on, so on

My coastal is in a 4x4x2 (HxWxD) and she never touches the ground except to drink. It's a great size for her, and i've estimated her length at 2.3m.

I've got other carpets in 4x2x2. I consider the extra floorspace a blessing when it comes to cleaning, or disentangling them from branches if i want them out. I prefer more height over floorspace, though the difference is less significant in my smaller enclosures. The 6 foot tall option will certainly be a good amount of space for any carpet (diamond, jungle, bredli, etc), as long as you're happy with your level of access.

Yeah the new laws coming in to NSW basically say that all pythons apart from scrubbies and olives can be kept in a minimum enclosure size of 4x2x2. Doesn't matter which way you have it, long or high, it is enough. I only keep jungles and GTP's in high enclosures and eveything else in long.

I use 35W downlights at one end of the enclosure for summer and 50w for winter. Keeps the hot end at around 35 degrees and cool end around 26 without the need for a thermostat.

[MENTION=2185]Ramy[/MENTION] - how are keeping the gradiant temps with a taller rather than longer enclosure? is it much harder or about the same?
[MENTION=36803]Senator358[/MENTION] - Is it just the one downlight of each wattage used or a couple? i was thinking about the heat panel option, but if using lower wattage globes may work out cheaper and nicer looking to.

I find it much of a muchness. I use overhead heating, so I mosly see my pythons moving more or less of their body under the heat in order to thermoregulate. With warmer basking points, they tend to move away once they're comfortable. I find it more important to provide an end with no heating at all. It pretty much takes care of itself.

[MENTION=36803]Senator358[/MENTION] why do you keep jungles in a tall enclosure and not the rest of the species? They're just as disposed to climbing as the rest of the morelia spilota subspecies.

[MENTION=39184]AussieBen[/MENTION]...just one down light for each enclosure and yes it works out pretty cheap.

@Ramy...no real reason apart from the fact that I only have four large tall enclosures and the jungles went in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back