Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotelLima95

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Okay, here is there basics to the story of my first snake...
I have been researching about snakes and all of their requirements for a long while now (just on 8 months) and yesterday I finally bit the bullet and purchased one straight from a pet store. Yes - it was overpriced... In fact, if I saw this price on a thread on here I would close that thread pretty quickly, but I couldn't resist... She is just so stunning! And I don't necessarily have anything I NEED to spend money on, so I don't really have a 'budget.'

As a result of yesterday, I highly recommend 'Pet Superstore' in the Logan Hyperdome as they were extremely helpful and have a lot of knowledge about their reptiles. The purchase list of yesterday includes:
... Reptile One Suburra Vivarium (600x450x480)
... Ceramic Screw Socket
... 75 Watt Heat Bulb
... 7 Pinkie Mice
... I And my precious beauty... An Alice Springs Stimson Python! Named Alice! (I wonder where I got that name from?)

Anyway, as I speak (type) she is in her half egg carton hide in her click clack, which is positioned inside the vivarium so that the temperature ranges from 28-32 degrees.

So finally, these are my questions...
Is this the best way to have the click clack setup, or would I be better off with a heat mat?
How long should I wait until I move her into her vivarium (what size should she be to be comfortable in the stated vivarium)? She was four months old yesterday.

Thanks,

Harley

I would personally use a heat mat or cord, though, if you are able to meet the temperature gradients needed with your current setup I don't see the harm in leaving things the way they are. As for length of time, you should wait until she is about a year old to move her into her larger enclosure, as large spaces have the ability to stress out juvenile pythons.

Thankyou. I have read many times about large enclosures stressing out the snakes, as well as the 1 year waiting period.

I think I will make an enclosure that is about a foot long so that it looks nicer than a click clack inside a vivarium.

Thanks!

I always look at all the snakes and lizards they got in that pet shop, I live really close to Hyperdome, I love the bigger childrens pythons, they're so beautifully coloured, the other ones are so tiny.

Yeah, definitely! Ian (the boss there) came and pulled a hatchling Blonde Spotted Python out for me to have a look as well as his 10 year old Children's python. Neither were snappy, just curious.

Never knew what that guys name was, he's the one that sold a blue tongue to my sister about 2 months ago, it's a shame the blue tongues brother's and sister's haven't been sold yet, they are awesome reptiles to have. I believe they handle there snakes regularly.

Our hatchling Stimson is such a gentle python! She hasn't even shown any signs of aggression and she took her first pinky mice that we fed her with no troubles... I would purchase from them again, but I would like either a coastal or a Bredli as a second snake.

I find it depends entirely on the snake's temperament.
For example my friend bought his first snake a while ago, she was quite timid and nervous with handling plus not to keen on feeding, when he tried her in the larger enclosure (about 4.5 months old) she completely went off food hiding all day and night and aggressive towards handling, forcing him to use the click clack.
On the flip side my first girl was confident handling and feeding from the day i picked her up (just on 3 months old) and when i put her straight into the 45x60x45 there were no problems at all. Some will disagree but I find snakes have very individual personalities making it easier to judge how they will act.
The hardest part is finding a tiny snake in a larger enclosure and making sure they cant escape.
Id at least wait until her first feed before you consider transferring her, that way if she wont eat next time you know the move is the stressor. You can always try it just to see what happens and if it doesnt work out just move her back to the smaller again.

I have heard this waiting a year thing before, but I honestly dont believe in it and nor do the breeders I have purchased from.
the wild is a very large place for juvi python and they do fine, along as there is lots of hides/nooks and crannies ur fine, just fill the enclosure with stuff til it looks cosy.
Really I see it as the sooner they deal with something the sooner it becomes the norm and ther comfortable.

Okay, thanks guys! I really like building, so I have decided that I will build an enclosure that is roughly 300 x 250 x 250 so that she will be comfortable and have a proper setup that looks nice, as opposed to a plastic container. And this will cost no more than $200 as I have most of the things I need. So if it comes down to a better looking, more comfortable enclosure for her without too much cost, I can't think of a reason as to why not to build one? And I can use it again if I get another small hatchling in the future. I just can't think of any cons. I already have the basic design in my head and I am sure that soon enough I will have a thread in the 'DIY' section!

Just be careful, stimmies can escape through the smallest of gaps especially at a young age. They will spend all night looking for cracks and gaps. My juvi escaped through at 4mm gap between where the sliding glass doors overlap.

Oh, wow! Will have to make sure everything is sealed tight then!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So today I went out and purchased a heat mat of the sizing that I need, and now I have to purchase a thermostat to go with it (I have decided on Habistat). I have researched what I am about to ask, but I am receiving mixed responses... The question is: Which Habistat thermostat would be the best use for heat mats (disregarding price differences)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back