Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood_nymph

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hasn't been such a great day today :( i was woken up this morning to my husband yelling up the stairs "we have a problem!!!". i must not have closed the door to my stimmies cage properly last night when i was changing the water cause it was open and empty this morning. i've pulled the house apart today and although i thought it was fairly escape proof esp with the cold weather outside he just ain't here. i think the worst part is i have two little dogs who live inside well cause there is no real outside. although i don't think they would do anything but yap at him he's probably hiding form them. i also have an awefully eateble canary that would look like a snack to him and its hard to keep him safe when you don;t know where the threat is.

it's still very early days yet and i haven't completely given up, but for those how have had escapees before when do you know that they're gone and to let it go?

He will be there somewhere. If he is due for a feed heat the mice right up and place them in a plastic bag and put a few around the house and sit up tonight until you hear them rustle. Stimmi's aren't big climbers so look down. Is there drawers near the enclosure and follow the wall along from your enclosure and check everything he may fit into along the way.

My male water python escaped last year. There where a million ways he couldve gotten outside, and my dog was a rottie x. It was also the middle of winter. three months later he turned up no more than eight feet from where he escaped and is now doing very well indeed! Dont give up hope!

Nymph, I lost my spotted once. Only reason i found him so quick was because of my 2 little foxies. They just started barking and it was a serious bark, so i went to checkout what was going on. It was my spotted all ready to go hahaha. He was tucked up between the wall and the hot water system.
So soon as you hear your dogs barking, go running to look at what they are barking at!
Never give up mate. I had a friend lose a spotted python and have it turn up in the bathroom 18months later :lol:

Pfft...don't stress. Put flywire around your canary cage and keep a close watch on your dogs....or like my OH says...keep a watch on your canary cage because a snake that crawls in, won't be able to crawl back out once it's swallowed a canary... :p
We found a bredli after 4 -5 weeks as well...sometimes it takes even longer than that.

The linen closet seems to be a common place they are found. Also the back of fridges as. The other trick is to put flour along the entrance to each doorway each nite so as you will be able to see if he is still moving around the house and in which direction. Give the mouse with the plastic bags ago and sit up for a few hours tonight and listen. Also you will be amazed at other un familiar noises you will hear in the silcence of the night. Remember midnight is when they are most active.

Nymph, I lost my spotted once. Only reason i found him so quick was because of my 2 little foxies. They just started barking and it was a serious bark, so i went to checkout what was going on. It was my spotted all ready to go hahaha. He was tucked up between the wall and the hot water system.
So soon as you hear your dogs barking, go running to look at what they are barking at!
Never give up mate. I had a friend lose a spotted python and have it turn up in the bathroom 18months later :lol:
too true about the dogs, i actually heard my girl gruffing downstairs last night but she recalled when i called out so i didn't go down to check i now actually think she saw him making the escape after i went to bed.

look under and around the fridge, they love dark, tight, warm spaces
check now ....??

i recon throw the canary in the room with full access to cage....i know what id rather loose... snake or canary?? lol good luck anyway.

if you haev draws with clothes in them check in that,
turn every bit of clothing inside out/ inside in, that sort of thing.
and check everywhere that you think is warm, and snug

big old sigh of relief
and on an interesting note pomeranian X papilions make good snake hunters, my husband got home and went to feed the rat in the garage taking my little girl dog with him, she sniffs around and heads straight to the corner (farest point from the rat) and sits. low and behold there the little bugger was very cold and huddled against the brick work.

still interested to know how long people keep their cages empty waitng to find the escapee

Dont give up. Look in every nook and cranny.
A friend had a children's python that turned up after 195 days. It survived a Sydney winter even though it was only a hatchy when it first escaped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back