Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell?? What do you mean it's too dry in Aus? there arer places where the rainfall is amongst the highest in the world, Australia isn't just a big desert.

i didn't say any of that. i was gerneraly stating that most areas in australia are to dry. though now that i think about it some very wet queensland rainforest might be able to sustain them.

And there is NO proof thjat tortises could not become a pest, it's highly unlikey, but not proven.

its not like their going to run away mate 8) . i can't remember but i doupt they reproduce/reach sexual maturity that fast

andrew

there is crap loads of exoitic I would love to keep....but for our native animals sake we must keep them out..

Keep them out.......but they are already here so keeping them out isn't an option really. Getting rid of those here is even less of an option.

You have buckleys of getting land tortoises legalized cause jeff hates them and heaps of other things.Most of the pythons and boas,colubrids and lizards are here anyway so its a reptile rights issue and an equality thing for many people which encroachs on their personal freedoms.Others keep their exotic animals why cant we they say with good reason.

No-one hates land tortoises, that just isn't normal.
I totally agree, I can keep cats, dogs, mice, rats, rabbits, ferrets (in most places) llamas, alpacas, goats, sheep, cows, horses, pigs, blah, blah, blah but not a reptile that will be kept in a cage. If it made sense I would agree, it doesn't so I don't.

RE: Re: RE: Exotics in australia

I think it a good thing that we unable to legally keep them...we have planty of herps here to keep us happy....not happy about not being able to keep exotics...then move over there and dont bring them here...yes yes I heard the first time (we all know there here), but its ilegal, its irresponsible and a threat to native Australia. And those that are caugh diserve what they get...

AGAMIDAE said:
there is crap loads of exoitic I would love to keep....but for our native animals sake we must keep them out..

but in the end this is the line in the sand for me.

u do know shingle backs fill the same ecological niche in Australia as land tortises do overseas?

WHat if they are more successful than shingles..

Also shack, you ever heard of desert tortoises mate!

Desert tortoises are great, so well adapted to their harsh environment.

Ohh! man!! :roll: I would love some Boas.

I mean, I would really love some boas. :p

Give me give me give me. If it was legal of course. :wink:

Boas are just the best, not just boa constrictors but Emerald Boas, Rainbow boas, Cooks Tree Boas, I love em all.

boa said:
Boas are just the best, not just boa constrictors but Emerald Boas, Rainbow boas, Cooks Tree Boas, I love em all.

100% Agree. :)

Exotics are here and have been for donkeys ages. We need to remove our heads from the sand and deal with what is here, there is customs to deal with stopping more coming into the country, but what about those exotics that have been here for ages. There needs to be policies and laws etc dealing with them and controlling them. While we ignore the fact they are here the black market demand will only get bigger as snakes become more popular as pets.

Heres what can happens when you have introduced snakes.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/YearInReview/02_B.html

Do we really want this happening in our already fragile wet lands?

Regards David

The problem is David, that they are already here. There have been several corn snakes found from wildlife rescues over the last few years and there is also an established group of red eared sliders in QLD. This is not good, so whilever we ignore it, it will only get worse.

Brodie_W said:
u do know shingle backs fill the same ecological niche in Australia as land tortises do overseas?

WHat if they are more successful than shingles..

Also shack, you ever heard of desert tortoises mate!

You do realise that you just made that up dont you.
You should do a bit more research into tortoises brodes.
They may share a similarity in some aspects of ecological niche with aspects of some tortoises but so does a fruitbat.

So just because they are here now we should just say stuffit and lets open the floodgates.

This is the same as saying that just because a few people commit murder we should get rid of the laws against murder and let anybody do it.

I agree that we shouldn't stick out heads in the sand, but enforcing the laws we have is better than letting open slaver on importing exotics. In fact the mere fact that the authorities are having problems inforcing the current law is strong evidences for the fact that the could not control the importing of exotics leading to exactly what has happened in the US.

So just because they are here now we should just say stuffit and lets open the floodgates.

This is the same as saying that just because a few people commit murder we should get rid of the laws against murder and let anybody do it.

wise words. though i agree i would rather not risk all the amazing unique animals that inhabit australia. we already have the flamin cain toads.

though personal opinion. why have licences just for reptiles. hell have em for cats too. the licences for the reptiles makes sure they get a good life and that reptiles aren't taken out of the wild while the cats one makes sure people dont let em run loose and kill natives.

i recomend you read some of the stuff on www.snakeshow.net . he says something along the line as why have dogs, cats, rabbits and ferrets as pets. we should have kangaroos as pets, wallabys, billbys ect. interesting guy and his snake presentation was kick a$$

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back