falling on there back

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I knew about all these things before I got into reptiles I would never of bought any.. This is awful :cry:

Why? If you knew all these things, then you could do everything perfect. This way, you're learning and gaining experiences, which is the best way, in my opinion.

4cm.. it was off the lightbox hide to the tub bottom

That's hardly a height to worry about. Falling a long way down could do some damage, but not 4cm...

Why? If you knew all these things, then you could do everything perfect. This way, you're learning and gaining experiences, which is the best way, in my opinion.

That's hardly a height to worry about. Falling a long way down could do some damage, but not 4cm...

I am not worried about the height.. I looked up illness in search and found out that doing this has linked into viruses that can kill your reptile..

quarantining the male from the female is a little late if it has already passed the disease to the girl. i find it funny with some of the quarantine styles a lot of people think will work, its one of those things that you have to do 100 % or you may as well not do it at all. and most of the ideas of quarantine are not 100 %. and sorry if i am optimistic tonight but david falling on its back and taking a while to get up could be a symptom of soemthing as minor as dehydration. yes i'd go see bob anyways but i wouldnt walk in there expecting to here your snakes are going to die.

quarantining the male from the female is a little late if it has already passed the disease to the girl. i find it funny with some of the quarantine styles a lot of people think will work, its one of those things that you have to do 100 % or you may as well not do it at all. and most of the ideas of quarantine are not 100 %. and sorry if i am optimistic tonight but david falling on its back and taking a while to get up could be a symptom of soemthing as minor as dehydration. yes i'd go see bob anyways but i wouldnt walk in there expecting to here your snakes are going to die.
:shock:That could be the problem.. I was gone for 7days and my mum wouldn't put any water in there bowls.. They are about to shed aswell.. dunno if that could be it.

:shock:That could be the problem.. I was gone for 7days and my mum wouldn't put any water in there bowls.. They are about to shed aswell.. dunno if that could be it.

i just find it hard to believe that they would have some bad disease, when you got them from the same reputable breeder, they haven't gone to multiple homes just yours and husbandry is fine, and from what i know you dont have many if any other snakes. so its a little to far out for my thinking. and thats the problem people arnt looking at the big picture they see one symptom and assume the worse and the tend to disregard all the other things that also cause that symptom.

i just find it hard to believe that they would have some bad disease, when you got them from the same reputable breeder, they haven't gone to multiple homes just yours and husbandry is fine, and from what i know you dont have many if any other snakes. so its a little to far out for my thinking. and thats the problem people arnt looking at the big picture they see one symptom and assume the worse and the tend to disregard all the other things that also cause that symptom.

That's true, I only have the two snakes off that breeder and a beardie that I've had for ages.. There in a room at the back at the house that stays perfect room temp in winter and summer.. has sunlight during the day darkness at night... Temps never change normally 33c hot end for both 25-27ish c coolend.. drops 3 or so C at 3am every morning back to normal at 7am or so. There food is bought off rat breeders and are thawed right. I have never held anyone eles reptiles or petstores. I wash my hands before I touch my other reptiles. The only mistake I made was because I didn't quarantine.. next time I get anything it will be other side of the house for 6months+ :?

and thats the problem people arnt looking at the big picture they see one symptom and assume the worse and the tend to disregard all the other things that also cause that symptom.

I'll just assume you're talking about me.

I know it might be something minor, even something as simple as the snake being too lazy to get back up again. However, wouldn't it be much better to assume it as something dangerous and take appropriate measures and take the snake to a vet, then disregarding it and possibly ending up with a dead snake because the disease wasn't caught in time?

That's true, I only have the two snakes off that breeder and a beardie that I've had for ages.. There in a room at the back at the house that stays perfect room temp in winter and summer.. has sunlight during the day darkness at night... Temps never change normally 33c hot end for both 25-27ish c coolend.. drops 3 or so C at 3am every morning back to normal at 7am or so. There food is bought off rat breeders and are thawed right. I have never held anyone eles reptiles or petstores. I wash my hands before I touch my other reptiles. The only mistake I made was because I didn't quarantine.. next time I get anything it will be other side of the house for 6months+ :?

from the info you just gave me i highly doubt a virus is involved here. if i were you i would just be monitoring them, but im in the veterinary industry so even if i did take it to work it would be me monitoring and treating it anyways. :) so im lucky in that regards. but yeah bob is excellent and knows what hes talking about you cant go wrong seeing him.

I know it might be something minor, even something as simple as the snake being too lazy to get back up again. However, wouldn't it be much better to assume it as something dangerous and take appropriate measures and take the snake to a vet, then disregarding it and possibly ending up with a dead snake because the disease wasn't caught in time?

I read that if they have it there head twitches etc and its uncurable.. they would have to put them down.

from the info you just gave me i highly doubt a virus is involved here. if i were you i would just be monitoring them, but im in the veterinary industry so even if i did take it to work it would be me monitoring and treating it anyways. :) so im lucky in that regards. but yeah bob is excellent and knows what hes talking about you cant go wrong seeing him.

Yes he is very good. He told me he couldn't fight anything wrong with my husbandry/care of my bearded dragon dragon :) which I'mvery proud of ;) I may take them in for a check up anyway.

You mean OPMV or whatever? I wasn't referring to only that virus, but that's a very big one to look out for. But with your husbandry procedures, it's unlikely your reptiles would have that. There's a couple of good threads on it here, check them out if you're interested.

i wasnt talking abotu specifically you, many on this forum are like that, because they all fear ibd and opmv. yes if you are worried see a vet, to get a diagnosis. but i dont think it is nesscary to jump to somethign like ibd or opmv, for one these are not accurately diagnosed. so it does you no good assumign it was this anyway. but my main point is the same as the girl who cried wolf. and it works both ways, if you start palming off symptoms as somethign very bad you will miss easy diagnosis' and treatments, this in turn can destroy a keeper, and there collection adn possibly for no reason at all. but also if you just start to diagnose with common symptoms you can miss somethign and it may be alot worse.

firstly apologies for the typing errors its late. but yes i wanted to add that some vets are very bad for doing what i mentioned above.

Last edited:
i'm almost certain they wouldn't have a virus. i could be wrong, but as helikaon has said they have come froma reputable breeder and haven't gone anywhere else, if ur beardie had anything wrong with it you would have known about it by now. also if there was something wrong with ur snakes then you would have heard from the breeder by now as i'm sure they also would have had probs and would have contacted u straight away. that hasn't happened so u should be fairly safe. just keep up the watter and food and see how they go.

I'm confused. Are we agreeing, disagreeing, or something in between?

I'm not trying to palm off symptoms as something very bad, as I don't know what it is, because I'm not a vet and can't diagnose. In my experience, if a snake does something very unusual (like lying on its back for two minutes), then something is most likely wrong, even though this is not always the case.

I'm a cautious person, and I would quarantine the animal in question, observe it during the day or over the night, depending on the symptom, then take it to the vet the next day. This, to me, is a sensible and logical response to something that could be potentially fatal to a much-loved family pet.

I'm confused. Are we agreeing, disagreeing, or something in between?

I'm not trying to palm off symptoms as something very bad, as I don't know what it is, because I'm not a vet and can't diagnose. In my experience, if a snake does something very unusual (like lying on its back for two minutes), then something is most likely wrong, even though this is not always the case.

I'm a cautious person, and I would quarantine the animal in question, observe it during the day or over the night, depending on the symptom, then take it to the vet the next day. This, to me, is a sensible and logical response to something that could be potentially fatal to a much-loved family pet.

im agreeing with you yes watch it, and quarantine it if you feel the need. but if it were me i would not be fretting about something terrible in this case. that is all i am trying to say.

Oh, so we were semi-agreeing. There's so much miscommunication on these forums...

i guess my opinion is that i dont think jumping to the worst possible outcome does the keeper any good mentaly. just look at the situation for what it is not what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back