Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was sold a Green Tree Snake that was supposedly eating pinky rats. I have had her for some time now and all I can get her to eat is frogs that I catch or Lizards such as garden skinks or water skinks from the creeks near home.I really want her to eat more readily available and healthier meals. I have tried goldfish in her water bowl to no avail I also tried force feeding goldfish once a fortnight but after 3 months of that the male up and died trying to regurge the fish so now I DON'T use goldfish. PLEASE HELP ME AND MY G.T.S !!!!!??????!!!!!

This is the method I use and it works pretty well for me.
I place bowl in the cage and the gts is fed from this. The food item is always placed in the bowl. This to start with is usually a skink. I do this a few times then just use skink tails. The idea is that the snake associates the bowl with meal time and you will often find it sitting on a perch above the bowl. Then I introduce a defrosted pinky with a skink tailprtruding from its mouth. Do this a few times if necessary. Then its just plain pinkiesfrom then. Eventually you can lose the bowl.

Thanx adullthud I will give that a go , it sounds like the best option I have been given. :D

There is another option and that is to go your local pet shop and buy yourself a finch and put in with it. I had a brown tree snake and that is all it would eat. Skinks and frogs are ok but in some instances can carry mites or worms. Anyway good luck with her

a green tree snake is not goin to touch a finch. ther feeding habits are totally different to brown tree snakes.

Really? Well I will have to let the breeder I got him off know that greens won't take finches, which means that all the ones he had been feeding his greens must have been eaten by something else. He kept a wide variety of herps including browns and greens. Even though greens prodominately and preferably eat frogs and lizards they are like a lot of reptiles in that they are opportunistic and will prey on animals outside their normal diets from time to time, and I think that for that cost of a finch it would be worth a go.

Mine dont take birds or fish but I have never tried to wean them onto them. Their response to mice was the same when tried without attempting to changing their eating habits.

Adam i had a few troubles getting one of my snakes to eat pinkies too and wattso came up with the answer, i defrosted the pinkie in a bucket of water as usuall and then when it was thawed i pierced the back of the head with a pin so that a little blood and some brain came out... once it was in the cage it was gone within half an hour... may be worth a shot

good luck

GTS are a bit different Stockeh.
The one I have will only eat goldfish, it just wont take mice.
Adam, try feeding her some neons, they are smaller and she might just take them.

Is it legal or illegal to take guppies or rainbows etc from a nearby creek to try feeding them to the gts :?:

sorry greebo just thought it may be worth a shot thats all its good to have options

As far as I am aware it is ok to take guppies and things of the similar nature from creeks. I know of an Aquarium shop nearby that does it for feeders from time to time when they can't get other stock in. That's here in QLD

be carful with food not bread in captivity they carry a variety of diseases and nasty unwanted criters :? !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back