Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patonthego

Reaction score
Hi all, i bought a atherton jungle in may, she was born in feb, when i bought her i was told she had a slight feeding problem, but me being a newbie did'nt ask how long for or how he got her feeding again, but he said she was fine now, eating pinkie mice, so i took her home, she was fine until i put my hand in and accidentaly scared her, for day's all you would have to do is put a toe in the room and she would ram the 'click clack', i was scared to touch her, but after a while i held her with gloves on.. then i stopped with the gloves and got bitten a few times and was stunned, no blood, nothing, just the shock of being bitten. feeding her at first i used to put the food in boiling water.. she would snap at it,. then the cold struck, (i had a crummy heat rock) which switched off, broken. so she went without food for about 7 weeks, give or take a few day's, i was real worried, so thin, her skin was loose. so eventually she started eating again, only now i thaw out the food and them warm it up, but the thing is she takes ages, and does not snap it anymore, she comes to it (eventually) and takes it, otherwise i move it to her and she takes it. she now eat's pinkie rats. she is incredibly gentle now, love's coming out. has not bitten since.
so i am wondering if that's something to worry bout in the long run? she has just eaten a pinkie rat minutes ago. not ram, just a simple bite and take....

snakes are amazing with food they can go ages with out it. is she eating consitently now

yeah, every week. pinkie rat. should i move her up to a fuzzie rat yet? and thank you helikaon.
tara012.jpg

cool good work i would be happy if my satanic bredlie was like that and i would not worry

Personally i dont think you shoudl move her to fuzzies, juts give her 2 pinkies instead of one, then 3 and so on. Although she can eat more doesnt mean she can fit it in. Tho she would probably try :D

kelly nice looking atherton.
Don't worry about her feeding response as long as she is eating. And don't fret if the feeding response of your mum coastal is better or different, all pythons will develop their own feeding reponse, be it smashing the food item or being danty.

I don't think she will have any problems progressing onto furred prey items her her response may even pick up, start with just fuzzed, once she's downing them without a problem go 10 day old continue increasing prey item size as she grows with them.

Personally i dont think you shoudl move her to fuzzies, juts give her 2 pinkies instead of one, then 3 and so on. Although she can eat more doesnt mean she can fit it in. Tho she would probably try :D

All pythons grow better on furred prey items, pinkys are just to start them off. They need the bone and fur for grow. A small fuzzy can be the same size as a fat pinky.....

The fuzzie's are kinda big yommy. we got two pack's of 5. one for bree when she's ready and the other for tara. and yeah.. she ram's it waithout a second thought. bree did used to do that, that's why i got worried, the pinkie i fed her tonight was the bigger one of the three, but was still small. less than your small finger. i still have two pinkie rat's left in the packet, so when should i give them to her?
mybeautifulbreell7.jpg

I'd feed as per your normal feed times once the pinkies are finished try her on a small fuzzed rat, she's soon let you know wether she'll eat it or not. If she does keep em small if she doesn't back onto pinky's. But at that size i think she would be fine.

I'd feed as per your normal feed times once the pinkies are finished try her on a small fuzzed rat, she's soon let you know wether she'll eat it or not. If she does keep em small if she doesn't back onto pinky's. But at that size i think she would be fine.
keep in mind the fuzzie's are large. the pinkie's are very small, so it's quite a step up.

don't stress you can get small fuzzies. In the end feed her with what you feel comfortable doing.
I'm not trying to sway you either way. Tara is looking good, now that is a big buldge in her tummy :)
remember i wouldn't be feeding her the same size food as tara regardless.
Do what makes YOU feel comfortable...........

well i'll keep an eye out for smaller fuzzie's. should i feed her the last two pinkie's in one night? or over two weeks..? yeah, tara's quite happy. love's to sneak behind the fake rock background. so patched it so she couldn't.. :)

one per week or as you've been doing. Barry from barry rodent's (centralian11) would be able to supply various sizes one good bloke to deal with and way cheaper then pet shop prices.....

Thanks Yommy passed on your message to kellie. We will be going to Barry when we only have 1 fuzzy left. Feeding tara tomorrow. That'll keep her busy so she won't be trying to get behind the fake rock again. Little imp is up on the fake plant now trying to nose her way through the open that we sealed with the plastic clear hosing stuff from Bunnings. She can't get out of the terrarium but I worry that she'll be stuck and can't get in her warm hide once she has got behind the rock. I could take it out but I like the look of it she just needs to grow a bit wider and nto fit!! HA

about a year old and it scares me my partner and our daughter, i am sick of it biting im glad it doesnt hurt.......yet
how often do you hold her? maybe not often enough.. but i don't blame you, if she is as aggressive as you said. just the one snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back