Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah pat i also have a coastal and tommorow my daughter is getting her first spotted, i handle him (bredlie) every day but he will settle soon i hope. My coastal was never as bad as my bredlie is

I would do what yommy said if it was mine. I have an atherton as well that was a problem eater it is about the same size and I have it on large fuzzies. It is amazing what size food they will eat. Jungles like food with a fare bit of fur on them

Pat - Finish off your current pack and then move on to a larger size - I think you will be surprised what they can eat...but as Yommy said, she's your snake...if you don't feel comfortable upping the size then go another month or two on the current size and then up it...

...I certainly wouldn't waste my time feeding two or three of a smaller size when it is as simple as going up a size...

aslan, my mum and me both share this account, this was my thread, the atherton is mine, my mum has a costal. yeah, i see your point. but the thing is the pinkie's are fairly small, so am worried bout stepping her up to a fuzzie. bought bigger pinkie rats, i'll feed her a couple at a time, weekly... or is that a bad move..?

kel

Pat - My Diamond has a neck roughly the size of my pinky finger - he comfortably eats large mice.

I have two 8mth old Stimmies - one feeds exceptionally well, one has only just started feeding regularly. I started the larger female on Hopper mice last week and figured I would try the smaller male too...both ate them without a problem...

It's probably not a bad move, just seems a waste of time and money - one feed is far easier and cheaper...

yeah pat i also have a coastal and tommorow my daughter is getting her first spotted, i handle him (bredlie) every day but he will settle soon i hope. My coastal was never as bad as my bredlie is
my mum will need to hear that, she has a costal, i'm trying to help by letting her know that there is a chance that she will tag her one of these day's but she's hoping that won't happen. i don't want it to happen to her, just there is a chance it will happen. it's not that bad. just wait till they grow. :p

hey my coastal carpet is exactly the same he is really snappy isn't eating regularly yet but same story pretty much. can actually handle him now.
Glad to hear u worked it out givees me an my lil baby some hope.

Petzoo - Really snappy and not eating sounds like your coastal is stressed...

hey my coastal carpet is exactly the same he is really snappy isn't eating regularly yet but same story pretty much. can actually handle him now.
Glad to hear u worked it out givees me an my lil baby some hope.
bree was snappy in start, i scared her accidentaly. she is great now. had fun in my shirt a few hours ago. so gentle. loves to give kisses. i was not the one who worked it out, the day of my step dad's birthday was a few weeks after i got her, she had just bitten me a few day's before, i wnated to show her off so i cautiously brought her out in to the dining room (laidies fled!!!) :lol: and she seemed calm, so i handed her to my best frind and she gave bree a kiss! i could have screamed, why didn't she bite her?... ever since then she has not bitten, loves to give out kisses (to me!!!) and.. yeah. she is just so gentle. how old is your costal? what was he feeding on?

I know how you feel regarding being a first timer and alone! thankgoodness for this forum, It has helped me heaps, I am only new to owning an MD, love her to death, but its the fear factor, I think I've been watching to much "venom ER" LOL
Good luck, i'm sure you'll get plenty of help from this site.

is that your babe in the avatar? nice, how old? and yeah.. fear. the thing is i'm not scared of her bitting me anymore, she is just so placid. as soon as i pried her from under my top, i gave her a kiss. on mouth, no flinching or anything. i guess i'm lucky now. so scared at start!

Hi Pat,
Yep that her her in my avatar, I am still cautious of her, I have only had her a month, she is 8 months old, and feeds very well, I have just handled her and she seems a little edgy, I think she is ready to shed, shes looking a little dull,(or I am still looking for excuses) ;-))) I can't wait until I overcome the fear factor! How long did it take you to overcome the nerves???

as i said the party, my friend held her and bree was so calm, since then. am still scared a little. getting her out. but i shouldn't. she has not bitten since the first time. and has not shed in 9 weeks i think. so she may get snappy when the time comes... hope not. i don't think the fear ever goes away.. :) but it's so amazing. have you been bitten yet? what's she eating?

your talking to kellie... we both share this account..:)

I think the worst part is just getting her out, and the coiled look! cause once shes out shes fine, I am feeding fuzzy mice and pinky rats and shes not fussy either way, she loves em both.
I haven't been bitten yet, but my hubby (who is scared stiff of snakes) has lent a hand when I needed a tough one ;-) and he has been bitten a few times LOL, and he assures me it really doesn't hurt.

it doesn't, just remember not to jerk your hand away, cause it could break they're teeth. and also i have been told fuzzie rats help them grow better. well that's what i have been told anyway, again, thanks jarrod!!
this is bree
tara012.jpg

bree003.jpg

Great pics!
I have also been told that its a good idea to get them feeding on pinky rats, or they just end up with a preference to mice, and feeding a few mice instead of one rat when they are adults can be a bit of a pain.
How true that is? I don't know, so I thought I would give her both options anyway.

In regards to the bites - once you are bitten, you will feel like such a coward for having been scared for so long - it is remarkable how painless it is...I was always very jumpy when my little Stimmies would strike, I have been bitten by ALL types of lizards since I was a kid, but there is something that made me jump when a snake would strike...

I got bitten, and laughed my ass off!! I barely even felt her connect! ;) Lizards hurt more - snakes make me jump ;) It's weird - but it really doesn't hurt...

Yeah, Its unreal how we grow up with a fear of snakes, I really didn't hear much about pythons, we only remember the vens I think.
I think I'll get beyond the scare factor, as I am so intriged with her. maybe thin gloves are a good idea, to just get used to the strikes mmmmmmm dunno especailly for girl hands LOL

In regards to the bites - once you are bitten, you will feel like such a coward for having been scared for so long - it is remarkable how painless it is...I was always very jumpy when my little Stimmies would strike, I have been bitten by ALL types of lizards since I was a kid, but there is something that made me jump when a snake would strike...

I got bitten, and laughed my ass off!! I barely even felt her connect! ;) Lizards hurt more - snakes make me jump ;) It's weird - but it really doesn't hurt...
that is soooooooooo funny. the exact same thing happened to me. i laughed so hard. and i agree. (not bout lizards) never had a lizzard bf. but yeah, it sooo doesn't hurt.. but wait till she's older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back