Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume we're talking about feeding water pythons..do they majorily live in the water? Are fish just released into the tank for feeding?

I was under the impression all water pythons live BY water not in water.

i'm not trying to be funny here.. but what RIGHT does anyone have to treat any ORDER of any animal with cruelty?

So you'll be giving up keeping animals in cages then and just enjoying the ones you see in the wild?

IsK

So you'll be giving up keeping animals in cages then and just enjoying the ones you see in the wild?

IsK

So you're making this a personal judgement on me? Why is it cruel to keep a snake in a click clack? Why is it cruel to keep a snake in a 4 foot glass tank?

I don't keep monitors because I don't have the space.

I don't keep caged animals because I don't have a cage.

I would really like to know where you're heading with that statement... I was suggesting beating up cane toads for enjoyment is cruelty to an animal... not keeping a snake in a 4 foot tank...

Hey I don't torture any animals, my yardstick goes to any animals that I find acceptable to whack to death with a golf club, (Which seems to be a very quick and painless death), but one that I would not inflict on any other animal bar canetoads.

I assume we're talking about feeding water pythons..do they majorily live in the water? Are fish just released into the tank for feeding?

Water pythons eat rodents like most other pythons, they are often found in swampy areas but are not a true aquatic snake. Snakes that eat fish are things like tree snakes and file snakes. Sometimes you can get tree snakes to eat dead rodent but other just refuse to. Fish are placed into a small tub of water within the enclosure and the tree snake eats at will (normally with seconds). Other true aquatic snakes like file snakes, fish are just kept in the same aquarium as the snakes are living in to be eaten at will.

Hey I don't torture any animals, my yardstick goes to any animals that I find acceptable to whack to death with a golf club, (Which seems to be a very quick and painless death), but one that I would not inflict on any other animal bar canetoads.

But that's not cruelty you see - my point is the people who torture the animals because they're a pest - Golf clubbing, quick and painless, is an acceptable form of death for a cane toad.

It would in fact be no different to the accepted way of killing a rodent to feed to a snake. But on a different scale.

And the only living thing I have ever tortured or punished would be my liver:D

lol if the killing of a cane toad was directed at me....be more of a man and speak up and say a name so u know the only thing that killed that cane toad this morning was the snake so b4 taken the joke me and tate were talking bout maybe ask if i really did kill it insteasd of insinuating that i did ok facts buddy facts.....obviously u dun know them tsk tsk of accusing ppl in killing a cane toad and not have the guts to say a name........:| as far as im concerned really build a bridge n get over the fact that ppl do what they want to do in thier own homes who knows if you all do certain things and deny and hide it from ppl.....i dont judge wat other ppl do so put that where the sun dont shine

And in a previous post in this thread I said I don't condone inhumanity to ANY animal, kill what you have to kill but if you get your kicks out of it, maybe you should see a shrink:rolleyes:

So you're making this a personal judgement on me?

Nope. It was just a question.

Why is it cruel to keep a snake in a click clack? Why is it cruel to keep a snake in a 4 foot glass tank?
Dunno. But people tell me all the time that it is.

I don't keep monitors because I don't have the space.
OK

I don't keep caged animals because I don't have a cage.
Semantics?

I would really like to know where you're heading with that statement.
'Twas a question. Not a statement.

Take it easy and lighten up a bit or you may pop something. It was meant as a light hearted retort. Nothing more.

Peace
IsK

lol if the killing of a cane toad was directed at me....be more of a man and speak up and say a name so u know the only thing that killed that cane toad this morning was the snake so b4 taken the joke me and tate were talking bout maybe ask if i really did kill it insteasd of insinuating that i did ok facts buddy facts.....obviously u dun know them tsk tsk of accusing ppl in killing a cane toad and not have the guts to say a name........:| as far as im concerned really build a bridge n get over the fact that ppl do what they want to do in thier own homes who knows if you all do certain things and deny and hide it from ppl.....i dont judge wat other ppl do so put that where the sun dont shine

EEEEEEEK... I should read this entire thread before posting... Ok... let's see - what have we here... NO APL it wasn't directed at you OR anyone... It was a GENERAL idea of cruelty.

I'm not making any judgements... But you appear to have made one on my comments... It was my high horse opinion APL - that no one should torture ANY animal... if you're in the class of torturing animals, then that';s your perogative, I just wished we could all got along =:)

Definitely NOT aimed at you... sorry APL... that bridge was long crossed... We ok with that?

Nope. It was just a question.

Dunno. But people tell me all the time that it is.

OK

Semantics?

'Twas a question. Not a statement.

Take it easy and lighten up a bit or you may pop something. It was meant as a light hearted retort. Nothing more.

Peace
IsK

eeeeek... Ok... So - i took your post the wrong way... Am lightened up now. =:)

sorry slim6y its just how you came across with talking bout the canetoads after i had a run in with one and a blk snake with a red stripe earlier this morning is all my apologies i dont torture any animals well i did with ants and a magnifying glasss when i was ten but i just wanted to see if it would burn lol..........but cane toads with rectonol is the only thing we can use here but seriously who wants to pick up a cane toad and say howdy mate hows ya roidds need some rectonol to help it along??? god.....LMAO

After watching a few movies on YouTube of people feeding live prey to their pet snakes I've suddenly realised that I don't think I will ever be able to kill my pet snakes food! However feeding live prey is out of the question for me as not only is it ILLEGAL, but morally I am disgusted by it for these reasons:-

-domesticated prey that is bred and 'grown' lack the adrenaline rush that animals get in the wild when out hunting/feeding/scavaging/and being hunted and therefore feel more pain when they get crushed slowly to death and are bitten

-our often overfed pet snakes that can miss prey may not have it down pat to kill live prey (as they are slightly domesticated) so invoke more pain with the more strikes they have

-I used to breed mice (and was quite good at it) and had rodents (including many rabbits, guinea pigs and rats) as loved pets before I had an interest in reptiles.

If you breed your own feed, how do you kill them? Do you care about minising pain?
Did you ever have a problem feeding live prey? If so how did you overcome it?
Have you/do you feed your reptiles live prey?[/size]

Well, i'll start from the top.

It is not illegal if the animal will not eat any other way. Your morals should not come into it. WE ARE KILLERS, WE ARE PREDATORS. If you keep a carnivorous animal, you should be prepared to care for it properly. IE KILL THE FEED ITEMS, OR RISKM HARMING YOUR SPECIMEN WHEN FEEDING LIVE.

you cant have it both ways, you either kill the animal, or knock it out to an extent that even if it wakes up, it'll have no ability to hurt your snake.

At the end of the day, they are only rodents, and they are food for the animals we love.

1. You are just plain wrong here. There is no evidence to support your proposition.

2. This sounds like a much needed push towards live feeding, because the your snake will have good aim and will be quick to kill.

3. Your own stupid fault for looking at pests as pets.

LMAO

Well it's obvious none you need any exercise. What with all the jumping to conclusions, Foot stomping, golf clubbing and flying off the handle.

*Note this is only directed at those that have been doing the above.*

No its NOT directed at you.

Oh and btw someone hand me some ear plugs. There's too much eeeeeking in here.

:D

IsK

It is not illegal if the animal will not eat any other way. .

It's illegal.
It's legal.

Seems to be a lot of armchair lawyers in this place. Can anyone point to where it conclusively states either way?

IsK

PS. This is a question. Not an attack.

Disclaimer: If it can be seen as an attack then put your other glasses on and vice versa
:p

I think the main thing that we are all missing here is that snakes, even though purchased from dealers and shops and the like is that they are wild animals. I have fed my snake live mice, not that I do this all the time, but I couldn't get it to eat frozen, if we all took our snakes out and let them go, they would hunt and eat live prey, be it mice, rats, frogs, cats ECT.
My main concern with feeding live is that I don't want some angry rat/mouse to be backed into a corner and fight back causing pain to my snake. I preferably buy frozen, but if unavailable, I buy live and they get the wack treatment as stated by many others. It is interesting to see them hunt prey and constrict then swallow.
I feed live crickets to my lizards, they love them and it gives them the feeling that they are still hunting, even if I handed it to them in there enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back