Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i did last week 5-6 foot warming it self on the road just near rosedale,
had to stop and help it out the way (most people down here dont as a result you see as many dead ones as you do dead roos)

this site has gone down the drain.
i cant even have my own opinion on it anymroe
i came here to make new friends. but its obvious alot of people have quite a few issues.
i dont think i will come back on here again. as it is filled with not very nice people.

I've been through the entire thread and I can't find any of the abusive posts that you are refering to.

yes but ppl carry on about a rat/or mice in the freezer ppl do it to cane toads also cause no one in darwin anyways are allowed to whack it one with a golf club and talking about the dettol i was having a joke with tate about the dettol on the cane toad but all in all i said wat i did cause i used to put the pinkies in the freezer cause ya cant really whack them againest the wall cause they that small the blow might make them bleed out heaps u know wat i mean??? i never said that i put adult rats in the freezer at all in any of my comments and here in darwin to kill a cane toad we all here have been told to put it in the freezer......and ive said earlier when i did the pinkies in a snap lock bag it was way b4 i had my daughter i no longer do it my hubby lays them flat and puts a bar over there neck and pulls the tail and breaks there neck or something then we put them in the freezer......i no longer have the guts to do it he does it i feed the snake simple as that...and we all have our rights to our opinions:D

well at the time of me starting to breed rats/mice i did not know about things like that and i wasnt making you look like u was having a go at me buddha i was just putting it out there for ppl who did read my comment about the dettol from this mornings episode:D

i HAVE A TINY LITTLE RACK WITH HANDCUFFS TO HOLD THEM STILL WHILE I SLOWLY WHIP THEM TO DEATH . THE HARD BITS ARE GETTING THE LITTLE LEATHER BOOTS ON THEM AND GETING THE SMILES OFF THEIR FACES SO THE SNAKES DONT THINK THEY ARE BEING LAUGHED AT . THAT MIGHT GIVE THEM A COMPLEX AND WOULD BE REALY CRUEL .

Well....it's not like me to join in on these debates, in fact i dont think i ever have! Some of this may be long winded and abit off topic, but it's what's on my mind at the moment.

I would have thought that the first thing fledgling keepers learn is NOT to feed live prey to snakes, but i see that this practice is still very much alive. That's a damn shame considering that such a practice is not necessary.

I've always felt that feeding live prey to snakes is a sign of inexperience or impatience on the part of the keeper, because i strongly believe that every snake will except dead prey if it is happy with it's captive environment.

As we know rodents can cause severe damage to a snake when fed live. So i wonder...what's it going to take to convince keepers to stop feeding live rodents to their snakes?

Fledgling keepers that feed live prey have the habit if just dropping the rodent into the enclosure at a time when the snake is unprepared. This usually leads to an inaccurate strike by the snake (grabbing the rodent in the wrong place), which in turn may allow the rodent to turn and bite the snake. I wonder if such fledgling keepers will stop, or continue feeding live after a rodent has just taken out the eye of their beloved snake. Is this what it's going to take?

Haven't these keepers who feed live ever heard of stunning a rodent? If you stun the rodent then it will be unconscious but still kicking. This will eliminate some of the dangers of feeding live. But still they choose to feed alert, live rodents to their snakes.

I cant believe that people are freezing animals live. I dont think i want to know a person that freezes animals live. Whether you're feeding live or freezing live, either way you're side-stepping what really needs to be done. Wacking rodents against hard objects to kill them quickly almost goes hand in hand with keeping snakes. If you cant do this then either gas them, buy frozen or consider whether snake keeping is really for you.

All of the above is not directed at anyone in particular.

As we know rodents can cause severe damage to a snake when fed live. So i wonder...what's it going to take to convince keepers to stop feeding live rodents to their snakes?
...............or continue feeding live after a rodent has just taken out the eye of their beloved snake. Is this what it's going to take?
This is a link to someones bad experience after a live meal item was fed to their reptile...
http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/feeding/15585-thinking-about-feeding-live-welcome-live-pile.html

cris said:
There is no excuse IMO for killing an animal in a cruel way when it can easily be killed humanely.
I would hope the cruelty laws are applied to all those who openly violate them, such ppl shouldnt be allowed to keep any animals IMO.

Apart from the cruelty side of things it gives all of us reptile keepers a bad name when ppl force snakes to swallow live chicks, freeze rats or whatever other cruel acts, especially when it is in the view of the public such as on youtube or on a forum like this.
And what about people who feed live prey on the occasion? Your thoughts?

The only way Mel and all the other live freezers are going to stop this cruel,and in Qld illegal practice!!!!!!!!Sorry Mel but you said it more than once as if you are proud of the fact that you Freeze Live Rats, not pinkies but Rats!!One night when you go to the freezer one of your victims will jump out at you :):) Rodents have an amazing survival instinct and can survive for an hour at least in a freezer.The fact that you like to do it that way and "wont change no matter what anyone says"tells me that you are one of the people that Rodent breeders like myself try and steer clear of.NO RODENT IVE BRED WILL EVER BE FROZEN ALIVE!!!!! Do your rats a favor and get rid of them and buy frozen feeders I'll give you a 20% discount on my list price and deliver them to your door just to stop the barbaric way that yours are being killed.
Odie

she is changing that. she didnt realize it was so bad, so now everyones jumped on her she is changing her ways. she has asked a few people for help and is changing the way in which her rodents die. PEACE OUT

ODESSASTUD - i have never once said i freeze ADULT rats
i freeze babies. i have a 19 month old carpet and a baby childreni, i dont think they can somehow eat ADULTS RATS.
and i wouldnt buy anything of you in a million years.

Thankyou FREDDY !!!!!!!!

Well....it's not like me to join in on these debates, in fact i dont think i ever have! Some of this may be long winded and abit off topic, but it's what's on my mind at the moment.

I would have thought that the first thing fledgling keepers learn is NOT to feed live prey to snakes, but i see that this practice is still very much alive. That's a damn shame considering that such a practice is not necessary.

I've always felt that feeding live prey to snakes is a sign of inexperience or impatience on the part of the keeper, because i strongly believe that every snake will except dead prey if it is happy with it's captive environment.

Fledgling keepers that feed live prey have the habit if just dropping the rodent into the enclosure at a time when the snake is unprepared. This usually leads to an inaccurate strike by the snake (grabbing the rodent in the wrong place), which in turn may allow the rodent to turn and bite the snake. I wonder if such fledgling keepers will stop, or continue feeding live after a rodent has just taken out the eye of their beloved snake. Is this what it's going to take?

Haven't these keepers who feed live ever heard of stunning a rodent? If you stun the rodent then it will be unconscious but still kicking. This will eliminate some of the dangers of feeding live. But still they choose to feed alert, live rodents to their snakes.

Thank you for your post ST, can I just ask a few ? of you though, please?

We purcahsed two yearling DP approx, 7 months ago. We had previously owned beardies and frogs. So this was our first snake purchase. We presumed that with our inexperience buying yearling's would be better than hatching's.
We contacted a Sydney seller that had advertised on Herptrader and emailed back and forward a lot. We were told that they where eating frozen/thawed hopper mice and live.
We have not had any problems with one, and she now eats frozen/thawed velvet rats.
But the other never ate from day one, we tried everything and after six months took him to a recommended vet. The vet checked everything, no problems, so pretty much said to try live fuzzy mice as force feeding could kill the snake, we then went to a reptile shop and explained our situation and they agreed that we needed to feed live, and stated they have quite a few DP owners that need to feed live. (they also stated in there opinion that a DP is not a beginners snake) . I'm not comfortable with feeding live, and have no idea what I will do in the future when he needs larger food.
I absolutely consider it as our lack of experience that is causing this problem, but I honestly do not know what else to do There is no one else that I can take my snake to or get advice. So very regrettable we are feeding live at the moment, the other option is to try and sell the snake to a experienced herper, or let it die.

Thankyou for your time. I am feeding live out of pure desperation, and hate/scared doing it.

.NO RODENT IVE BRED WILL EVER BE FROZEN ALIVE!!!!! Do your rats a favor and get rid of them and buy frozen feeders I'll give you a 20% discount on my list price and deliver them to your door just to stop the barbaric way that yours are being killed.
Odie

OdessaStud, if i say i freeze my rats, can i get the same deal :)
hey ya cant blame me from trying

Hahahaha I loved your first one but forgot to comment! Thankyou for your random input!

Odessa I think its very noble and kind of you to offer such a discount.... Just a shame that the animals loose out on a good deal aswell as someone whos too stubborn to get something nice. (Who doesn't like the same quality good stuff at a cheaper price!?)

I recieved an infraction for my comment about Mels practices.I officially appologise to the Mods and the Members of this forum if my comments were out of line.Mel im not sorry for what i said to you !!! I just hope newbies dont follow in your footsteps, and if my infraction saves a rodent or two from being Frozen to death it was worth it!!
Odie

:( obviously a waste of time posting the above,other peoples posts get edited Mine get Removed ???
looks like its odessa studs turn to be bashed about the forum again,
So Sorry for careing about the fact that Rodents Are Being Frozen Alive!!!!!

Last edited:
Odie, I have been watching this thread and am surprised at how this turned out for you. I am sorry that your generous offer got you in trouble. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back