! ! ! FIGHT ! ! !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one last thing

do the males get straight into it or do they mess around

and

will one just straight away have ago at the other

i have never had two males fight but i have fed a diamond pair together and the female constricted the male until his tongue was hanging out and he went limper than an alcoholic on barium

I'll settle this, you're both wrong and I'm right, everybody's happy :lol:

Had a pair of spotted males fighting late year.

The larger was chasing the smaller pushing him down and biting at the smallers body. I separated them as soon as I saw this.

It made the chance of eggs that year very small :).

I'll complicate things even more - it depends on species too. With some carpets such as imbricata and spilota, where the male is usually smaller, combat is not common, you will often find several attending males together with one receptive female, all peacefully waiting their turn. In some subspecies, where the males grow large, mcdowelli for example,this is probably because they need the extra size and strength for combat, and typically two sexually mature snakes will fight.

These fights can be extremely violent, causing shocking injuries and not infrequently the death of one of the combatants. But the winner often mates furiously with his female afterwards. The best "low-risk" way of duplicating this stimulation in a cage is to throw in the fresh shed from another male whem you want some mating action - very effective.

Antaresias too are combatters as well, bhps as previously metioned.

Jamie.

males will go through a ritual before biting occures, they try and get purchase on each other and raise their head higher than the other male, this can go on for some time. Once it has been sorted out who can go higher the shorter male will leave, but if it can't (left in an enclosure) things can go bad. This sort of rev up works well for breeding many types of reptiles like beardies ect.

about 6yrs ago i had 6 carpet pythons 3f ,3m 2 pairs i had had from hatchlings and where around the 7ft mark and had there sex checkd by a good mate of mine so i new they where pairs the 3rd pair i bought where already big the female was around 7.5ft and the male was about the 6ftmark the bloke i bought this pair from told me they where a pair and he had had them sexd by a realy good reptile vet in melbourne and at the time my mate was away so i couldnt get him to check them for me so i thought i could trust him,i was wrong.....
so i bought them took them home put them in there own cages compared
tail lengths and spur sizes of the female in 3rd pair with other females and all three females lookd the same so i thought it was all good.
any way coold them down for breeding and when it was time i put the pairs together pair 1 and 2 started maiting straight away.
pair 3 didnt start straight away then the phone rang so i went to get it started talking to a mate so i whent out side and had 2 smokes whent back in to check on them and the bigger one had rippd the other one to shreds by the time i got him to a vets he was dead and it turned out the female was another male.....so now i dont let any of my males near each other and i learnt how to sex snakes myself just to be safe.

I have a question will the females fight if they are put in the same tank together???

6ftPython said:
I have a question will the females fight if they are put in the same tank together???

as far as i know they will not fight it is only the males you have to watch.
well i have'nt had any of my females fight befor so it will be interesting to see if any one else has.

next pain in the butt question.... is there any reason not to put to young girls in the same tank?? will it stop them from coming out?

its scarey to think of the males fighting and devestating to lose one and yet i wish i could see it for myself

I was introducing a 6kilo male to what I thought was a 5.5kilo female wrong both males, as I was putting the male into the tank she/he struck and took his head into her mouth, after wrestling the ball of pythons out of the tank he/she had probably 6 inches of him down her/his throat.
Both survived, it was not fun was really scarey.
Moral dont take anyones word learn to probe and do it yourself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back