Frillneck lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Dweller

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just chasing information on Frilled lizards- Chlamydosaurus Kingi from people who have had them or have got them.
What they're like and what sort of enclosure you were using for them.

Cheers DD

Frillneck Lizards

Hi there!! You needed some info about these really cool lizards...l have been hand rearing 12 Frilly's for over a year now...l have had them since they were pretty much hatchlings..they have a great nature..very laid back..most of them enjoying human contact, pats and kisses:)
l love them!! When it comes to enclosures they need something large enough for some upright branches varying in diameter and height...they love to be vertical..it is not good for their health or development to be kept on a flat surface. l give them U.V light and plenty of temperature being around the 35-40 degree mark. l mainly feed them on roaches,pinkie rats and mice always dusted with calcium powder. They seem to like having a good soak in a nice dish of water...but from what l have observed they can be a little forgetful when it comes to drinking it...so l at least once a week give them drinks with a eye dropper.
l dont really know what else l can tell you other than they are great reptiles to keep!!
If you have any more questions let me know....:)
We also have a 6year old male Frilly he loves to sit on a cat post in the lounge right in front of the
heater...he's very cool!
Bye 4 now...

Send Chanty79 a pm, I believe he keeps them.
Sorry Jan you bet me to it ;)

Frillnecks.....

lm sure everybody that keeps Frilly's has some different and interesting info!!!!
Would be interested in hearing other peoples views and experiences....

No Worries...Jan:)

Keep them coming guys and gals

Thanks for that info- brought a smile to my face thats for sure!!LOL
My partner and I really like them but wanted as much info on them as possible first, good and bad points. They seem like an animal that needs a fair bit of room so thats where my questions came into it. The environment here would allow an outdoor enclosure over summer but not for winter as its freezing.
Jan what size indoor enclosure do you recommend? 6' x 6' ? bigger? smaller?
Wouldnt be til the end of the year if we did go ahead with it so plenty of time for more answers from everyone

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was really taken with a couple of bubs at Melbourne Zoo last holidays.

I was wondering, they sound like a friendly and reasonably easy-to-keep species... what merits them a position in the Class 2 license category? I've only got a Class 1 now, so that gives me a lot of time to research and get money. So, to jump on the bandwagon, what makes a frillie difficult to keep, if I'm not going to be breeding them.
Thanks!

Frillies sound really cool - I have always liked them but I was under the impression they had a bit of a 'look-but-don't-touch' temperament. This might be a dumb question, but what is it that makes them stick their frills up? Is it when they are stressed, angry, etc?

you mean these guys............

Attachments

• tn_DSC00028.JPG
    tn_DSC00028.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 88
  • tn_DSC00024.JPG
    tn_DSC00024.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 103
  • tn_DSC00084.JPG
    tn_DSC00084.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 132
  • tn_DSC00086.JPG
    tn_DSC00086.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 111
try searching in google 'frilled neck care sheet' you'll get alot..

im interested in them aswell, and did a fair load of research..

basically a 4x3x4 enclosure is suitable for one dragon, i wouldnt house two together, they go for each others fills and the stress of overbreeding and territory that is ever present in their instinct would be overwelling in such a small environment, considering one males territory is HUGE!!!! in the wild.. they like to be high, so make sure the enclosure isnt on the floor.

no sharp edges to get their frills stuck on.

they grow to be 3 foot, so i wouldnt use an enclosure that isnt at least 3 ft wide, longer in length and preferably taller then them, considering alot of frillies kept in short enclosures encounter tail deformities as they cant be entirely straight.

verticle branches as well as a mix of those on a tilt. they bask verticle to aid digestion and laying flat can cause them multiple problems..

i would think warm showers (no too hot or cold) would be good, same as with beardies.. to keep them hydrated.

hatchlings are especially prone to dehydration. and the reasont hey are on class two as they can be a look and not touch animal, and they DO sulk ALOT, to any change.. thus making them at times hard to care for an an inexperienced keeper would find this hard.

hope this helps..

hey i looked into these guys a while back but realised i need my class 2 to keep them, i can get one now but ive already got my eye on an ackie. i found out that for frillies a 4 ' high x 3'wide enclosure is the minimum size for a single adult but a larger habitat is recommended the height is for the vertical branches, for a hatchling to a juvenile a 30 - 55 gallon tank is good but they will need the larger enclosure fairly quickly. An adult can reach95cm in length from head to tail, can weigh up to 500g and the diameter of the frill can reach 20-25cm some reach 30cm. The hot spot should be approximately 35-38°C with the cool end approximately 24-27°C. Humidity levels of 50-70% should be provided and you can do this by giving thema large water bowl with clean water at all times. It should be large enough to bathe in (but shallow for very young dragons). An adult can eat up to 2 dozen crickets in a single meal so breeding crickets might be a good idea, as for a juvi's they should be fed daily on small amounts.
thats about all i learnt hope this helps =]
~cheers
Camo...

its something ive toyed with over the years. Still waiting until I have other reps and more exp. I've never heard such good reports on these guys, which is good. Usually all I get is that they sulk and refused feed and all other bad points, so it is good to get some positive feedback

I have two that are really outgoing, and one that is a total sook, it runs and hides when im in the room and only eats when im not in the room.

And i had a fourth that was in between, but i accidently killed it

sorry to hear that donk. Are you planing to breed them? If so, is it a hard task?

There's a really good care sheet on the Herp Shop's website. They definitely deserve to be on Class 2/advanced licenses etc. They can be a tricky species but with the wealth of information now freely available on the net, if you do your research first then they are almost as easy to keep as Bearded Dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back