Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickamon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to start keeping geckos in the next year or two, and I've started reading up on their requirements and care. I have a few questions for the experienced gecko keepers here.

Which species would you recommend for a beginner?

I know it's not safe to house two males together. Am I right in thinking that housing two females together is safer? Are there any particular problems with having two female geckos sharing a tank?

When my snake outgrows her baby tank (600mm long, 450mm high and wide), I'd like it to become a gecko tank. Is that size suitable for two adult geckos?

Do geckos like to be handled?

I'd be interested in breeding my own feeder insects, since they're quite expensive at pet supply shops. Is it easy to breed your own? Does breeding work out cheaper than buying?

Thank you! :D

geckos rnt for handling, your best off keeping a pair or a trio together, and go for a smooth knob-tailed gecko

There are so many different species of Geckos mate with lots of different requirements. The tank that you described would be great for a trio of Thick-Tailed Geckos (Underwoodisaurus milii) - which I believe to probably be the best beginner gecko. You can breed your own crix but I'd say it wouldn't be worth it if you were only housing a couple of gex. No Australian geckos 'like' being handled - some tolerate it better than others. But geckos as a pretty general rule, are not handleable herps. Housing males together can often be done successfully but only in the absence of a female. Luckily, adult U.milii are relatively easy to sex so I would be looking at a 1.2 trio when you start out. Hope this helps somewhat...

Thanks guys. :)

I have considered Underwoodisaurus, but I'm also eyeing off Oedura castelnaui and Strophurus williamsi, which are both NSW class 1 permitted species. That makes me assume they're not terribly difficult to keep, but I don't have a clue. :?

Geckos arent really for handling. They dont appreciated it at all. I own both what Chanty79 and Hornet are sugesting to buy. Id say these 2 would be an excellent start. They are a good beginner and experieced gecko and theyre stunning. You should be able to pick up Thick Tails quicker than Knobtails, theyre a bit more common that the knobtails. I saw 3 diff lots of thicktails being sold recently. But a pair or trio is a great idea. 1 m 2 f. Heres a pic of my knobtails and of my thicktails to give you an idea!!

Attachments

• Thicktails paint.JPG
    Thicktails paint.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Female Knob Tail.jpg
    Female Knob Tail.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 82
Do not start out with either O.Castelnaui or S.Williamsi. They are not beginner Geckos.

U.Milii is your best bet.

You will find S.williamsi finicky as they are tiny animals. I have found all Oedura species to be extremely fast and flighty. My O.tryoni are like bloody lightning. I keep both Levis & MIlii as well but I would recommend milii to a beginner over levis...

their really expensive me friend paid AUS$3500 for a gecko

In this country?!?!? What species was it?!?!?!?

Go for milii, hardy little beggers, beautiful little things and if you really have to handle them they are more adaptable to handling than levis.

I've never kept milli, but I reckon levis are great as a newbie gecko.
Milli are prone to stress from heat I've been told, whereas levis can tolerate mid 30's.
levis were my first and i love them, easy to keep, easy to breed.....

I agree with you on that issue for sure Magpie.

As for tommygun295's comment, unless it was a typo and should have been $350......then i find this very hard to believe. The most expensive i've seen have been like $600ea. If this is true, like Saz, i'd be interested to know the species.

Go the milii!
How can u say no to their sweet little faces?

Attachments

• 100_6829 (Large).jpg
    100_6829 (Large).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_6601 (Large).jpg
    100_6601 (Large).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_6824 (Large).jpg
    100_6824 (Large).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_6597 (Large).jpg
    100_6597 (Large).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 66
their really expensive me friend paid AUS$3500 for a gecko

Yeah, one of my mates paid $4 for a Green Tree Python and once, another of my mates paid $8000 for an Asian House Gecko.. Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but yeah but no it's all true and stuff.

I know Tennille aren't they just the cutest? I have a colony of 1.4 now and they're great...

Attachments

• NewMiliiE.jpg
    NewMiliiE.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 93
Thanks for your feedback everyone. Hey, I couldn't say no to any gecko, they all have such adorable little faces. :)

Yeah, one of my mates paid $4 for a Green Tree Python and once, another of my mates paid $8000 for an Asian House Gecko.. Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but yeah but no it's all true and stuff.

Yeah, and then I saw Vicki Pollard second-basin' it 'round the back of the bike shed n' that, so shuddup! :lol:

Yeah nickamon.. Then I saw her with that girl Marie.. Marie that's going out with Charlie from the apartments - then Marie said that she saw me around the bikesheds with Dave. Not Dave Dave but the other dave and I was like yeah but no but yeah but no I wouldn't have been there with Dave because I'm not like a **** but then Maria thinks I'm a **** but she wouldn't know anyway. So yeah but there...

Yeah nickamon.. Then I saw her with that girl Marie.. Marie that's going out with Charlie from the apartments - then Marie said that she saw me around the bikesheds with Dave. Not Dave Dave but the other dave and I was like yeah but no but yeah but no I wouldn't have been there with Dave because I'm not like a **** but then Maria thinks I'm a **** but she wouldn't know anyway. So yeah but there...

You've just reminded me that I made a wise choice when I decided not to go to my 10-year high school reunion this month, because it would actually be like that. :shock:

Yes that's the scary thing about Pollard - there's people who do actually talk like her!!!

go Milii !!!

picking up my 3rd soon! so that will make a 1 to 3 trio!!! fingers crossed for this coming season! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back