German Shorthaired Pointers and Lace Monitors don't mix

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
Bad news of the day - My dogs managed to catch a one metre Lace Monitor that is usually smart enough to stay out of the garden. We managed to get the dogs off only to have the clawed one climb halfway up my leg (I nearly CR**PPED myself) at which point I did the old 'Get the Lace Monitor of my leg Samba' - which fortunately worked. I caught it by the tail and put it in a big cardboard box I had handy. I put some Betadine on the bite wound on its tail. It's got blood in its mouth (and my dog had a wound on his nose (which will not teach him a lesson - they're just not compatible with wildlife). I tried to release it after I'd kept it in the box for an hour or so but it was still too weak so I've put him back in the box in the garage and hopefully I can release him tomorrow. I'll try feeding him a weaner mouse in the morning. (Snap! will not mind 'cos she's been fed today). Hope it's recovered enough to release tomorrow otherwise I'll have to try to find the Wildlife Rescue around here (there's no WIRES where I am). The last time I had an injured water dragon (a big one it was too) I took it to the local vet and was told that they would fix it up and return it to my property for release. I phoned the next day and they told me that it had been 'put down' as it's leg was too badly injured to re-release. I don't believe that so this time I'll do it differently. I think the Lacey will be ok once it's had a rest. I'll put some photos on my Gallery in a mo.

Any advice greatly welcomed. :roll:

Ouch. Well, if it's just a few bite wounds, the betadine should do the trick. Hope it all works out. Lace monitors are so pretty, it'd be a shame to lose a big one.

Good luck with it!!!'

I know increadsed temperature can help injured reptiles so maybe you could try putting a lamp above the box

dance

Sad story, but I couldn't help laughing at the image of the 'Get the Lace Monitor of my leg Samba'! Funny! :lol:

Good news time

young Lacey was released about mid-day. She took a while to heat up in the sun but eventually decided it was time to move off and she climbed a little way up a tree near the creek. I've got some photos to put up on the gallery later - must get back to work - up on the roof - very hot - I should be 'flat out' like the proverbial. 8)

PS. Would you believe another Lacey same size as the injured one raced across the side paddock and up a gum tree. This fella covered about 30 mtrs in around 3 seconds. God they can move when they are spooked. I was surprised that there was another one in the same territory as the first - anyone know the normal population density for these beauties.

I have seen up to 7 laceys within a 400m stretch of river, with ranges that quite obviously overlapped. Also about 20 water dragons living in the same area, plus RBBS and Brown snakes.

I can't believe how I couldn't remember this. When i was in year 2 a 1.75 metre lacey ran through my classroom and wrecked all the mathsbooks(Yay).

At my old school I could identify at least 5 different laceys but there were many more.

I caught a 1.6-1.8m lace monitor in out campsite in victoria.

I gave him the once over and released him back up the tree above my hammock.

P.S They really are beautiful!!!

I agree. I think they are my favourite nonsnake reptile (at least in Australia - Although I love the sea turtles). They are a real predator and have few natural predators. I've got the photos of the injured one and the release of same. If anyone's interested in seeing them I can upload them.

Yes, please upload! Def. my favourite non-snake too Graham!!

Wow...
Totaly cool!

These guys are really impressive.... thanks for the pics!

i have seen a few people dance like fools with goannas hanging off them

one kid at my primary school bout 10 years ago thought it would be funny to grab one and didnt think it was so funny after it ripped him to shreds lol but i did :lol:

Good to see that you were able to release the big fella.
Our local herp club is finally making some head way with the Cute & Cuddly Brigade (also known as WIRES).In the past,if it wasnt cute and cuddly they didnt want to know about it.
If a animal can not be released...they euthanise it.This really grates on me as they are supposed to be saving animals not killing them.
It looks as though things may be changing.We may have an unofficial arrangement to place animals with members of the society with the resources to give them a resonable life...instead of killing them.
This is definitely a step in the right direction.

That's an improvement Greebo. I've basically decided that if it looks like I can sort out the problem myself I will. I did have a funny experience a couple of months ago. I got in from work to find a little black duck duckling wandering around in the flower garden (close to the realm of the GSLMS's - a bad place to be) so I phoned up the lady that accepts wild ducks (injured etc.) I arranged to take the little fella in - drove the 30k to her place and showed her what I'd brought her. Oh! say she, It's not what I expected but I'll put it with the other babies and see how it turns out.

I felt a bit of a dummy a couple of days later when my neighbour asked me if I'd seen a stray gosling that had vanished. I haven't phoned th lady back - she must think I'm a goose too by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back