Getting over GF's/Partners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get out of the house! I don't think anyone can give advice on getting over things like this, only that you will get over it. Do things that make you feel good, go out etc but be mindful of the dialing under the influence warning! That can get messy. I should know :)

My suggestion to you, buy a reptile!! Turn a negative into a massive positive.

Seriously though if things get bad don't hesitate to talk to anyone, like you have done here, even if it is just to vent. Plenty of good folk to be found here!

Actually, alcohol consumption reduces serotonin, dopamine and epinephrine level (neurotransmitters in your brain); sometimes it has a toxic effect on neurotransmitters. Once the serotonin level drops depression can quickly settle in, especially if you are already dpressed. That is why you feel crap for days after a huge night.

So even if it makes you feel better temporarily, the next day you will sink lower than you already were before you started drinking. The last thing this guy needs is for his brain chemistry to be effected in that way.

Well done, you've used google! I was under the impression that alcohol affected the chemical receptors in your brain, i don't really care to look it up but either way that doesn't change my post. Your post showed that you did not have a good understanding of what a depressant is.

Depressants are a group of drugs that include alcohol and are named as such because they depress the central nervous system, which inturn catches you a buzz. They are not called depressants because they make people sad.

Well that's kind of beside the point though isn't it Gordo? I posted because I wanted to point out that alcohol won't help his situation in the long run contrary to the advice of others.

Your understanding of how depresents work is very simplistic, but I'm busy right now and cant be bothered continuing this discussion.

Depressants are a group of drugs that include alcohol and are named as such because they depress the central nervous system, which inturn catches you a buzz. They are not called depressants because they make people sad.

Well that's kind of beside the point though isn't it Gordo? I posted because I wanted to point out that alcohol won't help his situation in the long run contrary to the advice of others.

Your understanding of how depresents work is very simplistic, but I'm busy right now and cant be bothered continuing this discussion.

If you would like me to write you an essay on why you are wrong when you say alcohol will make you depressed because alcohol is a depressant, i'm sure i could knock something out for you.

You still seem reluctant to accept what the definition of depressant is in this context of recreational drugs. That is my only point of contention with you. If you had of said something similar to 'Don't go writing yourself off, that can lead to depression and making you feel worse.' I wouldn't have said anything. But you didn't you said:
If you're already depressed you describe then you should stay away from alcohol which is a depressant and will make you feel worse in the long run.

Which is not correct. Depressants are not named as such because they cause depression.

My posts may have led you to beleive that i have a simplistic understanding but i'd rather have a simple view on these things than be wrong, like you are.

My original post (quoted by you) said:

"you should stay away from alcohol which is a depressant and will make you feel worse in the long run."

I never said alcohol is a depressant so....

or

alchool is a depressant and therefore....

I simply stated that it was a depressant which is correct, and that it will make you feel worse in the long run which for reasons already explained is also correct

Congrats mate, you have made yourself look ignorant yet again!

Boys, you've pretty much taken the whole thread lol just PM each other

My original post (quoted by you) said:

"you should stay away from alcohol which is a depressant and will make you feel worse in the long run."

I never said alcohol is a depressant so....

or

alchool is a depressant and therefore....

I simply stated that it was a depressant which is correct, and that it will make you feel worse in the long run which for reasons already explained is also correct

Congrats mate, you have made yourself look ignorant yet again!

You're a numpty! If that is what you meant, why did you wait until my third response to make that clear?

All i've been saying all along is that the word 'depressant' is used to describe drugs that depress the central nervous system. Not drugs that make you depressed. If that is not what your original post meant then you could have avoided all of this by saying something like 'Yes i know that Gordo, i worded my post wrong.'

And just so we are clear there is very little sematic difference between the three terms you have used 'so,' 'therefore' and 'and will' all construct a causative argument between the two phrases in your apparently poorly worded sentences.

I don't think i have made myself look ignorant. I have made myself look like i have a clearer understanding of the word 'depressant' in this context than you do.

Jeeeezuz i have to make myself a drug and grammar Nazi!

Boys, you've pretty much taken the whole thread lol just PM each other

Sorry champ. I'm just trying to take Forest dragon's mind off things lol!

Last edited:
Remember the good times, anger and hatred are energies wasted right now and will drag you down further. Eat healthy, exercise, talk about it openly with someone you feel comfortable with and let the process continue...time is the healer here. If your not eating make sure you drink heaps of water. All the best ;)

What works for one may not work for others. 1 thing most people agree on is to make the effort to get up and do something. Even if it's go for a walk, go to a friends place etc

I know the feeling, i just got out of a 3 year relationship myself, and if your lke me and the above suggestions dont really help and only make it worse, find someone who you can talk to when your feeling bad that will put a smile on your face you dont have to forget them or hate them, you cant put feelings there on command or it would be easy and you wouldnt still be feeling how you do. The best thing to do is try go to uni, keep up your routine, get a mate or someone you can talk to any time of day that wont get over u talking about it, or will send u a joke every half hour just to make u smile and forget for 5 seconds. its not about getting drunk, getting laid. If you get back into a good routine and keep busy it will get easier. if you want to talk to someone but dont really have anyone u can talk to a random like me if you like.

Few years back when my gf left me after being together for a year, I was much like you and felt pretty much like a wreck.

I found exercise was quite good, going for a long run or to the gym or something took my mind off it. Unfortunately there isn't really a quick fix for this. It does take time, I know it took me time to move on. As kitten said, just find someone to talk to, it can be a friend or a random, someone with a similar interest who can take your mind off it.

listen to empowering music or heavy metal. No emo stuff.
be with your mates. Have a few beers and perve on some chicks
get a ps3 or xbox game
watch movies
go for a walk or play sports
realize that you are a good person and you deserve to be happy.

If I feel upset or sick in any way I go shopping. Its the best medicine. and then you look good in your new gear afterwards lol

I had a girl that dumped me for stupid reasons and I was much the same until I decided to see it for what it was "a stupid reason" and made myself hate her. For me, it was alot easier to think of her under a bad light than it was to think how "great" she was.

At the time this worked and now later on, I still respect her and understand that what we had was good for what it was, but the pain of the breakup doesnt hurt because I removed all the "miss" factor.

I haven't seen her for 4yrs now, and don't intend on catching up at all.

I agree...I figure generally if you've broken up chances are you didn't actually like each other anyway. I know that sounds over simplified, but have you ever noticed, when you're with someone, you complain about things they do? but once they're gone you think they're god?
A lot of people seem to just focus on the "good" when the persons left instead of the cold hard facts that you didn't like things about the relationship either.

but yeah...Sadly, getting angry about it seems the best route. You'll get over that anger in time, but it's a good way to make sure you don't talk to them, or relapse into thinking about them until its over and done with.

Just remember it gets better!!

You need to go out with friends, meet new people and do the things you enjoy doing. Before long you'll have moved on and when you look back you'll wonder how things ever seemed so bad.

Females go thru this too.Knotted stomach,crying all the time,no appetite and sleeping/lying about all day.last time it happened to me (long time ago now) get up,shower,spruce yourself up,go get drunk,pick a fight,get laid,go home.you will feel better.but time heals all wounds.

Personally, I would recommend you NOT pick a fight :rolleyes:

I would not like for you to do this to/against someone I love.

I know how you feel buddy, when i moved to Australia i had to leave my girlfriend behind and it was like i had had my soul crushed. Its nasty, and there is no way around it other then time. Because i didnt know anyone and had nothing to do as all my stuff still hadnt arrived so i had nothing to do, i became really lonley and homesick. I would get up really early and go to bed really late in an attempt to stay in touch with everyone back home. Then i joined a new school and started my reptile collection again, as i had to leave all my herps in England. Most of the time i dont even think about it but i still get knots when i think about her, or my best friends back home, but i feel so much better now. So i guess the message is, do something to occupy yourself. I can relate to skipping uni classes because i really did not want to join a new school, but it helped, surrounding myself with friends. Dont let it get the best of you mate, its not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back