Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Qld lol. If you ask me its a government scam to make money. I thought it was pathetic to be honest. No information on how to care for a reptile, no test, just give us your money and then your allowed. Things like this make me remember the saying (you will have to fill in the blank :) ) "Australia isn't a virgin because the government _ _ _ _ed it!)

oh and elizabeth the only snake that would get eaten would be like a children's python going in with an olive

hahahahahaha, have u done any research??

similar sized snakes can eat each other, the biggest problem is they both die cos the eaters meal was too big.

also, if its a healthy snake from a good breeder thats feeding well a 2 month old is fine, ive never heard of 9 months to a year being the better option.

most of mine have been 2 months old when i got them and fed the day they arrived

i have 3 spotted pythons there Beautiful snakes i keep them separate usually but recently started breeding two so their in the same 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft tank i have a 1 year old 1 and she's for sale if your interested. but mainly all you need to know is dont buy a hatchling snake because its hard to get them feeding go for around the age of maybe 9 months to 1 year, as for the bowl and hides yeah you should get pretty small ones the bowl only has to be big enough for the snake to fit in. i dont exactly worry about the fluro bulbs but i do recommend a basking lamp with a cage around it and turn it off at night or just get a night basking lamp. ok good luck and remember you can personal message me if you have more questions or if your interested in my female spotted.

In order to remove the whole "is it feeding" question with a hatchy, buy from a reputable breeder and a python that has had feeds and at least a shed or so on record. I've never heard of a 9month old being better than a hatchy for a beginner, but this is all dif opinions so i wont judge. I believe hatchy's are better for your FIRST ever snake, due to the fact that if you do get a larger species, youll grow into handling it, the bites, and how it 'works'. Not to mention they're just so cute that young :D

Good luck with your choice.

Does anyone have an actual documented account of an Anterisea eating another of the same size? There's a lot of backyarders giving 'expert advice'.

Well, update time. I now have an enclosure. (Exo Terra 60x45x45) on it's normal cabinet and with a viewing light in the canopy ($610 all up for a very professional and perty display tank).

I also bought a hide, some fake plants, thermometer, heat mat.
Still need to get substrate (either marine carpet or aspen) and a branch for climbing.

Tonight I fill out and pay for my license.

Then I start shopping for an antaresia of some description (Possibly going Stimsons or Mac now)

Something I was told though whilst buying: With heat mats, was suggested that rather than use a thermostat on them, just run them on a timer so that they are off for ~2 hours a day (spread out). I've got an exo terra one (Higher quality, physically sticks to bottom of tank) so was wondering if this is true. I'd already bought the thermo at this point, but meh.

MrBaggins - Always use a Thermostat for snakes mate...two hours of excessive heat on one of those freak hot days that pop up occasionally would be very unhelpful...

I use a few glass tanks - I like the look much better. They do take some more effort to get the temperatures right but once you tweak it they are great - and easy to clean...

Keeping animals together is possible, but as has been said, it can be risky. Young Antaresia species have a reputation for trying to eat each other, not so much when they get older. I keep my breeding pair of Stimmies together all year with no dramas (proof being the handful of hatchies I have held back this season ;). The earlier comment that similar sized animals won't be an issue with cannibalism is nonsense, it is actually much more dangerous with similar sized animals as both will die rather than just the one.

I also noticed a previous post mentioning keeping different species together - I would be VERY wary of hybridising in this way.

Good luck with your new purchase, you won't regret it. They are fascinating animals, I can still sit down and watch them cruising around or eating a meal...

oh and elizabeth the only snake that would get eaten would be like a children's python going in with an olive

really? dont be so sure of that.. dicky knee posted some time back a pic of one antaresia that was eaten by another when housed together. personally I would never house hatchies, juveniles or even yearlings together.. the only snakes I would think about housing together on a permanet basis would be a proven breeding pair, and even then it could be a risk.

yes I know theres people who have housed animals together with no problems up to date, but theres always a chance there will be. Its prudent to house them seperately so as to avoid this problem ever happening. the cost of an enclosure or tub set up is not that great and if someone has to overcrowd their animals because they dont have or cant afford proper housing.. then they have too many animals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back