Gravid U.Milii- BIG Problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Need help!

Well, I caught my U.Milii pair mating on the 4th of september. I presume that mating was the successful one as they were at it for a LONG time and he certainly 'did his thing'. Since then, she has gotten larger, broader and the eggs are easily visible in her stomach. The thing is............She still hasnt laid! Since the 4th of september to today, the 19 November, thats a long time and I havent even been bothered to count it. Please help (all U.Milii breeders).

I separated the Male to another cage, gave her 2 nesting boxes (one warm, one cooler), the boxes are always damp, she always has the UV light on during the day (which creates a substantial amount of heat), due to me spraying the enclosure and having heat in there, theres a steady humidity level. I give her Crickets and everything people tell me to.

What the hells going on? Why wont she lay the eggs???!!! Her tail is now quite thin, like 2cms wide.........

Please help......... I think she either gonna need to lay or shes gonna die.......

The gecko would not have become gravid immediately after mating. Give her a bit more time and i'm sure she'll lay when she's ready.

Shawn, email Troy he had the add in the for sales a couple of days ago selling U.Milli.
I purchased a breeding pair from him - he knows heaps about geckos. The one thing he stressed to me was that they can easily get heat stroke. 27 degrees is what he said is fine for them.
Hope all turns out ok.

Ok, thanks, I am just getting SOOOOO stressed!! Any other opinions to whether it could be something bad??.................. Hope not!

Your doing everything right but like MrB. said it just takes time. Make sure you keep the calcium up so the egg shells are thick, goodluck.

Ive been breeding the milii for a few years now so in my experience:

Make sure she is getting enough feed and ensure at least every second feed is dusted with calcium.

I would also consider moving her to an enclosure with a peat and sand based substrate. Mine have never layed their eggs in the provided nesting boxes, and so i now just allow them to drop them in the peat.

When she starts getting close to laying she will dig up wholes all over the place until shes ready to lay.

The successful mating may may have occured some time after the one that you observed.

Ok, what about the really thin tail problem? I just wander if shes still actually feeding......... I do notice less Crickets in the enclosure............Her tail is now quite thin, like 2cms wide.........

The eggs take alot out of them thus the thin tail, you should see what my amyae look like after laying (not having the luxury of having that extra fat reserve) I've recently had a milli do the same thing, don't stress, but as Twigzz said I would be looking at a better laying substrate as some animals don't like lay boxes and will hold their eggs till they find a suitable spot.

So, you think Peat Moss is the go? How about Sphagnum Moss? Would that be suitable?

Thanks alot for the advice, I hope she lays soon as she is a beautiful Gecko!

Would the Sphagnum be alright?

if she starts digging for a few days in the nesting boxes like she is thinking about laying and nothing happens then i would worry

Ok, I dont notice diggings in the boxes but out in the sand, it appears like she has. I always keep it damp so thats good, right?

What about the Sphagnum Moss? Ideal or not?

Yeah sphagnum is ok, but make sure you have a corner of deep moist sand, you can mix the moss in with it if you wish. I have yet to have a gecko die from egg retention, she will lay them sooner or later, just keep the food and heat up and offer her a moist corner.

kool, thanks JasonL
She shed her skin today, I saw a post just above about a pre lay shed..... Is this normal or just like any other skin shed?

Shawn

I have never noticed gecko's having a pre lay shed, some sp. like Diplodactylus seem to shed on almost on a weekly basis.

SHE LAID EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She finally laid ONE egg on the sand. She still has one in her belly but I expect her to Lay tonight.......

Thanks to everyone that has given me helpful advice over the last month or so!
Cheers,
Shawn

Congratulations!!!! Did you notice anything different before she laid? (Digging etc)

I actually wasnt here. I was out for the night and when I came back today, the egg was there. No digging but there is a rock stack which she laid under.

I hope she lays the other tonight!

Shawn

Hey there,

Really pleased to hear that she got one out. When I have had eggbound animals they tend to get one out and then the other one a few days later (eggs are almost jelly like and not viable). So happy that she is half way there!

:0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back