green tree snake Q's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wizsel

Reaction score
hi just got a new green tree snake curious as how to best look after him should i get a humidifier? can any one tell me the best temp to keep him at? how should his enclosure look? and how do i breed them? thanks

You dont need a humidifier a decent water bowl is fine and maybe a spray or spill some water around shedding time. For hatchies a heat cord under a platic tub is good for heating. As the get into a bigger enclosure i like to give them a hot basking spot(mine would be somewhere around 45C at a guess) and the rest of the enclosure is roughly at room temperature.

There have been a fair few threads on these snakes just do a search on this site for common/green tree snakes and you should find heaps of helpful info.

Firstly I am going to be quite honest with you and ask - Did you do any research before you invested in an Australian Native Snake???

Secondly - I think True Blue kept/keeps GTS.

Maybe PM him.

the breeder should be able to help u,...

Just curious...why didn't you research before you got your animal?

Just curious...why didn't you research before you got your animal?

Im curious as to why all you people ask these insulting questions like the one above, and by slim6.
Sorry to burst some bubbles here, but to become compitant to keep reptiles, takes about a day of research and looking at sites like this. A day, I know because I did it in less than that.

Any problems that arrise, can also be found out about and a cure found, within hours.

So why, Oh why, do we ask so pretentiously, "have you done any research", as the question seems to exist only to belittle as it doesnt search for any more infomation to give better advice, nope this question sits there, all judgmental like.
If this is not your intention, to belittle, then you need to stop asking that question as it helps no one.
He asked for advice, not a lecture about his qualifications.

I think alot of you forget there was a time you knew less than nothing, and now that you do, think you at a higher status, and can thus bully newcomers to this industry, make them feel small.
I see it time and again on here and I find no reason for this behaviour, except to make you more experianced people feel smug.
Sure, you may say your acting out for snake welfare, I dont care, there is a much more peacful way to educate ignorance, you dodnt have to make them feel incompetant first, its bad Karma.

Again I will re iterate, snake handling is not rocket science, not even close, thats why alot of 15 year olds can do it..
A day it took me to know more than enough about caring for snakes, so one can go out, get one, and find info all before the snake realises that it has an owner new to the business.

Now for people to rip into me because they miss my point.

Last edited:
You tell them the_tsar. Completely agree with you. Research isn't necessay for keeping reptiles, but it makes it easier. None of you know how wizsel came about getting this green tree snake. Maybe a mate of his had owned it, and couldn't look after it, so he gave it to his friend. Maybe that didn't happen.

Point is, you don't know.

Also, the_tsar, what kind of snake is in your display picture? It looks really small and greenish.

Know nothing becomes knowing somthing

hi just got a new green tree snake curious as how to best look after him should i get a humidifier? can any one tell me the best temp to keep him at? how should his enclosure look? and how do i breed them? thanks

My first advice is to look up Green tree snake, common tree snake and GTS (all the same thing) in the search function on this site, and read them all, because there are many threads that talk about this snake and how best to care for it. This is where I began my education into this snake too.

Make sure you give a little hidey hole for the snake to hide in, and put some sticks or branches in the container,as they have a thing for climbing....obviously (GTS).

Temp wise about 28 degrees is preferable.

A pool of water too (small one it can lay in if it needs to) also serving as the water container.

I have a bed of sand with schedded newspaper on the bottom half of the enclosure, and my container for him to hide in is also filled with schredded newsaper not packed in but I do fill it up. My one hides there most of the time, and any craps it has seem to stick to and absorb into the newspaper, making my monthy clean ups easy.

Also you will notice them shedding their skin when their eyes look a little frosted, or like a catarac in grannys eye.
This is the first sign that it will molt within 2 weeks, try to resist playing with the snake in this 2 week window, because they cant see too well, they may be a little more agro to movement.

I also find playing with it alot makes for a great temperment. (mine was and still is young tho)
Usually I like to do this about 2 times a week. I usually have it watching tv with me and my wife, on my lap, or curled into my hands and fingers, letting it slide over us as it sees fit..................................
Keep an eye on it if you do this, they can get into small spots, lickety split. They can also move fastish, so unlike a python wont stay put, and can cover alot of distance in a minute.........and at 200 bucks thay are buggers to get replaced.

Hope this helps.

seems logical with the questions hes asking that he should just call the breeder,..unless he took it form the wild,...

i'm totally stunned that someone who doesnt seem to have even researched the basic care is already asking breeding questions,...?

research is necessaary fro keeping reptiles and any other living thing.
thats why some thrive and others die.

Also said:
Tis a green tree snake in my pic, I should get a better one me thinks too much plant in my avatar thingy.
Here is a contender

Attachments

• snake small.JPG
    snake small.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The tsar, Im not suprised you only researched for a day, you are way off the mark.

The tsar, Im not suprised you only researched for a day, you are way off the mark.

See...This is the type of thing I was talking about.....................what does this even mean.

I do know it is the response typical of a guy in his early 20's

Oh and I got my snake before I even knew anything too, and you have missintrerpreted my taking a day to educate myself to a compertant level, with only studying for a day.
Rookie mistake Im sure on you part, as I have done many more days study since, just out of curiosity, my point is, one needs no knowlege to start, no matter how pretentiously you think we do.
And last I looked my snake is fine and has been for 8 months.

Let me know when your book is due out. Should be very informative.:rolleyes:
See...This is the type of thing I was talking about.....................what does this even mean.

Oh and I got my snake before I even knew anything too, and you have missintrerpreted my taking a day to educate myself to a compertant level, with only studying for a day.
Rookie mistake Im sure on you part, as I have done many more days study since, just out of curiosity, my point is, one needs no knowlege to start, no matter how pretentiously you think we do.
And last I looked my snake is fine and has been for 8 months.

What it means is you are giving out bad advice. They are very messy snakes and you should be cleaning their cage out much more often than every month, this would be likely lead to health issues especially when combined with the parasites you feed your snakes.

They also should be given hot and cool area, saying they like 28C is not good advice.

You are right about them being fast though :)

The tsar, isnt it just common sense though to find out the basics of animal welfare before you purchase one?

You have a duty to provide and care for it and I dont think that can be done if you just rush into getting something without a hint of basic knowledge

Tsar - How do you propose that the workability of an enclosure be tested...?

If the correct temperature, gradient or humidity now take a few weeks to get correct this animal will likely stop feeding and the like, and potentially even become ill causing it to go backwards even further...

In addition, GTS are notoriously finnicky, fragile snakes that are significantly more difficult to keep than say, a Spotted or similar. Research would have shown this long before the animal was acquired...

I also find it laughable your comments on the age of people offering sound advice in this thread - age and experience are entirely different measures, as you have shown quite obviously here...

seems logical with the questions hes asking that he should just call the breeder,..unless he took it form the wild,...

i'm totally stunned that someone who doesnt seem to have even researched the basic care is already asking breeding questions,...?

research is necessaary fro keeping reptiles and any other living thing.
thats why some thrive and others die.
I am not sure if some one has addressed this issue as i just replied when i read the above quoted. Chris and others, what gives you the idea that this person has not researched i would say the fact that they know that they need a fair bit of humidity is a fair indication that they did research but maybe, just maybe ( and it happens alot) he was unable to find a way to raise the humidity. Man get over yourselves and try offering help not comments that help noone including the reptiles that you all claim to be so concerned about.

With the amount of information available about caring for snakes and the amount of lies in their information i commend wizsel for coming to people in here for advice. You should be flattered that he's asking you, he's asking for ur expertise cause he knows you's have the answers he's looking for... why spend hours searching for the information if he can ask questions in here and get the answer straight away. As already said we dont know how he came to get his python. Maybe he has already researched the information and is seeing if we give him the same answers so that he's double checking that the information is correct?

Maybe he was after expert advice and again i see you have offered nothing useful chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back