Gtp help ASAP please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bhad a beardie with retained eggs once and he got her to pass them out. it was borderline c section for a while but i wasnt keen on paying near 500 bucks if i didnt have to so we went oxytocin and calcium shots from some advice i got off here and it worked. he was a little unsure if it would because there is little eveidence that oxytocin works in reptiles but 15 mins later it was laying time :)

Sorry to hear that about the GTP, sad news. Good on you for taking her to the vet and getting her looked at though.

your a good mate!
Sorry for the bad news

Terrible ending mate, but good on you for getting involved and helping out. I just wish the outcome could have been different

Oh f I'm so sorry to hear that mate, I know it's not your snake but we can all tell how much of an impact it is having on you.

Dave

I bhad a beardie with retained eggs once and he got her to pass them out. it was borderline c section for a while but i wasnt keen on paying near 500 bucks if i didnt have to so we went oxytocin and calcium shots from some advice i got off here and it worked. he was a little unsure if it would because there is little eveidence that oxytocin works in reptiles but 15 mins later it was laying time :)
sorry to go off topic but thats really interesting , did anything you read suggest it could be used on snakes as well

Yeah I did, we are going to go for the euth, ill get on down there Friday night. She is getting a little worse..

I know this is a very sensitive question I'm about to ask and I'm asking in the request for a serious answer and I'm ATM not considering it but are there any other humane ways to euth a snake?? Someone told me today that the freezer is painless but in my mind when a snake is cold it's still very responsive in the brain but unable to act due to being overly cold.. I woul have though up to a point the snake would feel itself freezing to death?? I think I'll go the vet option but was interested to hear breeders opinions.

Please no harsh comments I have the snakes best interest in mind here.

JD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh an the reason I joined aps was because of the beardie with the retained egg. I was pointed towards a member who walked me through what I should ask for and do.

It worked even though there was no supported evidence that it would in reptiles. Coincidence?? Maybe but I doubt it.

If I'm correct oxytocin is what is given humans to induce labor?? Not 100 percent on that. Maybe a quick wiki would clear that up.

Oh an the reason I joined aps was because of the beardie with the retained egg. I was pointed towards a member who walked me through what I should ask for and do.

It worked even though there was no supported evidence that it would in reptiles. Coincidence?? Maybe but I doubt it.

If I'm correct oxytocin is what is given humans to induce labor?? Not 100 percent on that. Maybe a quick wiki would clear that up.

Oxytocin doesn't work all that well in reptiles. I've only used it once before and it didn't work the ratio is less than 50% not sure what it is exactly but more often than not it is useless.

That is what the vet said too, but she passed a deformed slug in about ten mins an she had it retained from about 1 week before.. I'm glad it did though,

Yeah I did, we are going to go for the euth, ill get on down there Friday night. She is getting a little worse..

I know this is a very sensitive question I'm about to ask and I'm asking in the request for a serious answer and I'm ATM not considering it but are there any other humane ways to euth a snake?? Someone told me today that the freezer is painless but in my mind when a snake is cold it's still very responsive in the brain but unable to act due to being overly cold.. I woul have though up to a point the snake would feel itself freezing to death?? I think I'll go the vet option but was interested to hear breeders opinions.

Please no harsh comments I have the snakes best interest in mind here.

JD

Hi mate, I have just put on my flame suit before I make this comment but if a vet is too expensive then a block of wood and a nice sharp axe or machete will do for a swift kill. Sounds bad I know, but quick effective and pain free for the snake which is what you want cheers Dave

Last edited:
Complete brain destruction via a strong blow to the head will humanely and painlessly kill the snake (e.g., the back of an Axe). However, that is only if you don't miss. If you have reservations then it's probably best to take it to the vet.

- - - Updated - - -

a nice sharp axe or machete will do for a swift kill.

Although it may seem it, head severance is not a humane method of euthanasia for reptiles.

Cheers guys. Vet it will be I think.

Complete brain destruction via a strong blow to the head will humanely and painlessly kill the snake (e.g., the back of an Axe). However, that is only if you don't miss. If you have reservations then it's probably best to take it to the vet.

- - - Updated - - -

Although it may seem it, head severance is not a humane method of euthanasia for reptiles.

Forgive my ignorance, but would you care to elaborate on that for me. I would have thought that was pretty quick death, therefore pretty humane?

Forgive my ignorance, but would you care to elaborate on that for me. I would have thought that was pretty quick death, therefore pretty humane?

The head remains alive after it is severed. Baz posted elsewhere that the head can remain aware for up to 15 minutes after the fact.

The head remains alive after it is severed. Baz posted elsewhere that the head can remain aware for up to 15 minutes after the fact.

Oh wow, we'll I never would have thought that would be the case you learn something new every day

cheers Dave

Reptiles use a lot less oxygen than mammals, so the brain will go a lot longer when deprived of oxygen than a mammal or a chook will. Having said that, I'm not sure that beheading is humane under any circumstances, for any species. Even a human brain will operate for a while after it's been removed from the body - it's not instant unconciousness & death. Crushing the brain and destroying it's integrity will render the animal unconscious immediately, with death to follow.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back