Gym/Climbing Equipment for Aboreal Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNeR

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my Jungle Python enclosure is looking a little bare and I was wondering if anyone had some good DIY suggestions for making (or modifying existing) equipment for (semi-)arboreal snakes.

My only thought thus far is to modify a cat scratching post for her to climb on, by possibly removing the carpet, drilling holes and glueing in some fake leaves, branches, etc I have. This all depends on how easy the carpeting is to remove from the post, and being able to fit a smallish scratching post in the enclosure (preferably with two levels).

I've also thought about having a cat scratching post outside of the enclosure for her to climb on when I let her out. She loves to perch up on the back of my dining room chairs when I let her out, so I thought this may also work.

Anyone have any ideas for gym/climbing equipment?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
A lot of people just use dowel. You can get nice thick ones and paint them or add some selastic and coir for a more realistic look or just leave it plain

Thanks. I ended up getting a cheap ($40 from Reject Shop) cat scratching post / gym.
Here's what the final setup looks like. I may get rid of the carpet (I'm guessing it will be a pain to clean). Also, does this enclosure (60x60x90cm) look too congested for a jungle python?
I'm mainly thinking for when she's fully grown (Devil line, and judging by the parents she should be a little smaller -- not Atherton sized):

Enclosure - New.jpg

The main other issue I can think of is general difficulty with cleaning, and being quite congested looking (I do prefer it to look nice & green rather than bare how it was before), it may be hard to get her out of the enclosure..

Re the chip board- I have just brought two bird nesting boxes for my enclosure and they are made from chip board and some other wood...... will they be dangerous for my snakes? i had heard that bird nesting boxes were great hides for snakes.

Thanks for the tip. Any recommendations as to what it should be sealed with?
Some sort of waterproofing would be good, but alas I know next to nothing about painting :\

Thanks for the tip. Any recommendations as to what it should be sealed with?
Some sort of waterproofing would be good, but alas I know next to nothing about painting :\

Just some kind of waterproof pond sealant like they seal enclosures with, it just needs a barrier between the chipboard and the animal.

Re the chip board- I have just brought two bird nesting boxes for my enclosure and they are made from chip board and some other wood...... will they be dangerous for my snakes? i had heard that bird nesting boxes were great hides for snakes.

As long as the birds aren't sitting on unsealed chipboard, I think it is when it gets hot it leaches stuff. Again, just seal them to be safe.

Mark,

Would be happy to knock you up a fake rock/climb perch if you would like.

Thinking of something incorperating bamboo.

Cheers

Cool, thanks heaps Tinky.

What sort of things do you normally use?
I'm thinking of ripping the carpet off the scratching post possibly, and using expand-a-foam.
I've got a fresh can I haven't touched yet and I'm curious to try it out.

I would seal it with Bondcrete. Water down and paint on. Can use oxides if you want to color.

Might suggest adding some sawdust/sand/render to give some texture and make climbing easier.

She definitely seems to like the cat scratching post / hiding hole. Here's a pic taken yesterday afternoon after a fresh shed:

220320111004.jpg

i just let my md venture over our 4 post bed. she likes it, the clothes airer works well too! i am tempted to get a bird ladder to put in her enclosure.

My Coastal loves his "tube". Its a cardboard poster/document tube which sits up on top of some banboo that runs across his enclosure.

You are close to the best decorations anyone can use
wander down the beach after a big south easter
Grab a nice piece of driftwood that had been eaten away
Bleach it well and leave it in the sun for two days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back