Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Mac

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me , i have a 6 foot female diamond which i can not handle as she literaly wants to eat me . She is always looking for food , like all diamonds , but when i go to get her out of her enclosure she will strike . I have now started using a hook but she will try to eat me even if i have her out , not strike but eat .I am getting very anoyed and am cosidering swapping her for one of the three smaller python species . Please help as i would dearly love to be able to handle her. PS other people have reached in and handled her and she has been ok.

Have a shower!!!

Maybe cause you have been hesitant in the past, she might now think she has it over you. You need to ooze confidence and just grab her and show her you are not scared and that you are the boss. Any sign of weakness and she will pick it up and go with it. Just be strong my son, the force is with you!!!

Feed it more? A well fed python doesent bother getting physical much, other than that handle more often, sounds like its not used to it much. :D if you want to feel silly,wear welders gloves and a helmet! :p

got a diamond that is very much like that, not as big yet, but a bitch none the less, all you can really do is use the hook and then tail her, we tried different things but she doesn't change, had her out only 10mins ago and she bit a sock. So its the hook for her :roll:

You need to ooze confidence and just grab her and show her you are not scared and that you are the boss.

i thought that too sherm after seeing angelina jolie in alexander lmao...DIDN'T WORK! i went in to my feral diamonds cage all confident like "yeah she's not gonna bite me again its just paranoia from the last time"....then she bit me :lol:

the fact of the matter is that you have to remember that snakes are instinctive animals. They are not like a dog or cat that cvan be taught tricks. Basically in most cases what you see is what you get. Coastals for instance are by nature a very hardy and placid breed but I have had some that are just down right mean. lol look at male and female Scrubbies for example

then you cried

LOL :)

My diamond is very placid. Never bitten. Each snake is an individual. I have a hatchie coastal that bites all the time yet I also have a childrens python that I feed by hand and it doesn't strike at the food. It comes up slowly and takes it from me as if it was a dog begging for a biscuit. It is quite extraordinary. I would just recommend you handle the snake as often as possible and where gloves and a jumper if you are affraid of getting bitten. Eventually (IMO) it may eventually give up on biting and settle down for you. Good Luck! :)

Where are you from Big_Mac?? someone might be willing to give you a hand at it and give you some more confidence..

How long have you had the python. If you havent had her long, what is her history? I must be lucky, all my Diamonds are great big sooks.
CAssie_and_Nelly.jpg

is she in with another python? i've noticed that sole pythons are often snappy.
apart from that, agree with the 'more food' comment. even the most feral snakes will give you a chance on a full belly. (unless they are overful, in which case they'll bite you because they feel vulnerable.) :)

I would also consider feeding her more. She may not be being fed enough. All my diamonds are big sooks, one is bit flighty but has never bitten.

Thanks for all your help guys , i will try to give you more info on her . I have had her around 7 months , the people who had her before used to handle her alot , she was even allowed to roam the house occasionally, but she was fed the odd thawed rat but more often than not she was put outside in a tree to find her own food then brought back inside a couple of days later . She gets fed once a week on large rats and the odd guinea pig every couple of months , i was accually tinking i was feeding her to much ( i was hoping it would stop her biting). I don't think it is aggression as she seems to follow the same curious patterns (rapid tongue flicking ,relaxed but purposful in her movements) she just trys to eat the snake hook and myself , she gets very close , presses her mouth against me and bites . My brother in law picked her up on sunday , she was fine , had a tiny strike at him in the enclosure but was very relaxed once out . Is it something i am doing ,if not , is she fixable or should i swap her for another.

should i swap her for another.

IMO, if you are worried about a snake biting you, then you should be keeping different animals. No offence, but any snake can bite at anytime for whatever reason. Just be patient before getting rid of it. JMO :)

Hmmmm..perhaps there is the smell of a rat on the hook? When you use the hook, you get the rat smell on you as well.
Give the hook a real good clean with diluted bleach or disinfectant. See if that makes a difference.

Its not that i am worried about her biting me i just don't want her to .I have a four year old son who loves snakes and he can not even touch her , i dont want snakes just to look at , i want to be able to handle them and interact with them , if i can't do that then i would prefer to give ehr to some one who doesnt care about that . i want to keep her that is why i am asking for your help.

diamonds

Bring her over to uncle jungle mad and i will breed her and give you some hatchlings to improve your confidence. Are you in Sydney? here is a pic of "Terminator" a lean mean diamond machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back