Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: diamonds

Big Mac, is she indoors or out ? Does she have hiding boxes, and if so does she use them ? I would wait until she goes into a box and then carefully lift the box out of the enclosure. Then hook her out of the box and place her somewhere thats unfamiliar to her, like your lawn or a carpeted area in your house. If you get her away from her cage and give her a few minutes to collect her thoughts she will realise she's not getting fed and relax. If she's on a branch in her cage just leave her as you'll excite her more by trying to pry her of the branch. If you're already feeding her regularly i wouldnt increase meals. Dont give in to a begging diamond. You want it to stay hungry, lean and alert.
I have a diamond thats behaves the same way. She ambushes prey right at the door to her enclosure and sometimes i cant get in because of it. When i come home from work she comes out of her box as soon as she sees my car come up the driveway. She then perches on a branch and hangs downwards in ambush position. At this time she'll strike at anything that moves and has knocked water bowls out of my hand. But this is how i want her to be and you should feel lucky yours is too. Its better than having a lazy overfed one.

i had the same prob with 2 of mine big_m welding gloves r a great idear where do u live???????
mine bit me twice so she spent alot of time in the cage (scared me )
got her and him out the other night and they wanna bite your head off when they r in the cage but out of it they were ok..
remember to that when she came out before she was getting fed so that might slow your progress a bit but if your bro in law can do it a bit often....
MAKE SURE U DONT SMELL A BIT LIKE RATS/MICE think that might of been my mistake

i have a shovel for you bro if she dont settle down

I'd say it has your measure and from now on your name is mud unless your be confidant and forcefull.
First off, no grabbing the snake, be a tree and move your hands to support it and move the head away from you by moving the body.
Dont touch the head and dont grasp the snake near the head.
Do this regularly but make sure you are scent free of any food, this includes all mammals, birds and reptiles. You have no idea what it was required to eat before, cats, puppys, birds or possums.
Next thing, feed it in some sort of enclosure that it doesnt live. Big plastic box with a lid. Dont feed it in its cage or in the open.
Thirdly, keep the kids away until they are old enough or confidant.
Im assuming that it is on license
Anyway these are just suggestions.
I got one a diamond X carpets the other day because the owner couldnt handle being bitten all the time. It was fine though it lunged at anyone else who came near it. We figured that it hadn't been handle to well, probably been grabbed to close to the head to often.

Sometimes snakes just dont like you and it may be better in the long run to swap it for a more docile one.

I agree with peter, Try not to allow the snake to push its head up against your arm when handling - act the tree. It might seem difficult to start with but with a bit of practice and maybe a few bites while getting the feel of the animal, im sure you will get some better results. My old olive used to try this all the time (go the eat on my arm after the nose rub) but settled with time. smell wasn't an issue, it was just a little confused about feeding. good luck :)

peter and al have the right idea..confident, supportive not constrictive handling and lots of it,,i offer my fist to them sometimes as it dosnt hurt so much and they dont seem to want it again after the first bite,,and when it bites you,,dont overreact..whos the boss??

Thanks for all your help guys , some great ideas. Mine does exactly the same as yours serpentongue, exept she does not use the hide box, that is probably one reason i cant get her out even with a snake hook , she just digs in and gets agro. I always make sure i have washed myself properly, i guess i am just going to have to suck it up and get bitten a few times , unless someone wants to do it for me , i am in lismore :D lol.

for godsake people the answer is simple, LEAVE THE POOR SNAKE ALONE.
Its stressing off its brain.If you want a pet to play with buy a dog.
Stress is buy far the most common reason reptiles get sick. Handleing reptiles stresses them,and I dont care what anyone says to differ, Ive heard it all. OOOH but my snake wants to be held !!!!. Yeah right ignorance gets them every time. Most other types of animals display sure signs that they are stressed,ie ruffled fur or feathers, but snakes cant,untill its to late and they are sick.
In my opinion the most any snake should be handled is once possibly twice a week for no more than 10-20 min. And if you want to breed your animals dont handle then at all youll have ahell off alot more sucsses belive me. So just leave the poor thing alone, sounds like a lot more people need to do the same as well if they want to seriosly do the rigth thing by their animals.

Hey, the rock ,my python is very well looked afterand if you bothered to read this thread properly you would have noticed that i dont handle her at all , therefore making your comment irrelivant.If you want to voice your opinion on something you feel strongly about start a new thread.

Big Mac, your first sentance states,- I have a 6 foot female diamond that I cannot HANDLE, read your own thread propally.

Settle down a little, you just come across a bit arrogant Rob. You only need to use caps and you'd be screaming. Your opinion and expertise is respected, but patronising folk is not. :wink:

lol wrassie :p:p yea surprised rob must be the only experienced herper in aus not getting his bum kissed by brodie :p

Ack, I don't want to be in the middle of a fight here, I simply meant Brodie has a touch of the arrogance too. Keep me out of this !!

/me runs screaming... AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Big_Mac said:
the people who had her before used to handle her alot , she was even allowed to roam the house occasionally, but she was fed the odd thawed rat but more often than not she was put outside in a tree to find her own food then brought back inside a couple of days later . .

To me this seems a tad strange...

HA HA HA LOVE IT.!!!!!!!!!
Well come on, the guy had a go at me, I was only stating a fact. Your all correct thou most people think Im an arrogant a---h---, but Im not really, Its just my manerisims, you see Ive never being one of those people that pussy-foots around people. I dont give a toss what anyone thinks of me, If they heve a problem Its theres not mine I couldnt care less.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back