Heat Mat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all

I was just wondering about what methods i was going to use to heat my enclosure. I am thinking about a heat mat. Are these good and if you use one do you need additional heating eg. ceramic globes. Along with a ceramic globe can you use fluroescent lights plainly to light up the cage. Will these add unneeded heat?

floresent light are abit exspensive

hey the ceramic globes are good but need to be used on a thermostat and if you want to use a light to brighten it up just use a normal batton light.

In my opinion a heat mat and thermostat will work great, I used to use nothing but them for years.
The only thing is, that was in the UK where we had central heating, double glazing, and two rooms that were filled with viv's, so the room were pretty warm anyway, they work really well in this type of enviroment and where the room you keep them in can be kept quite constant, but if you can't provide this type of enviroment , then go with something with a higher wattage output like a ceramic and thermostat.

Good luck.

Neil

Investigate heat cords. They are about a third of the price of heat mats. I'm just finishing a 10-compartment baby container where the heat cord is placed in routed grooves on a board and the board is then placed under the cage.

Spell-checked and edited due to the embarrassment caused by Africa's remarks and the fact that I have sobered up (I'm way out of practice with drinking. That was only a couple of glasses of cider :oops: )

Fuscy old mate, you've either been taking spelling lessons off Slatey or you've been on the grog! Which is it mate? LOL

Hi reptile fans,
How are we all? I have a heat mat under my tank and the temperature is 32*C, should I turn off the heat mat although it is hot today?
I am new to the reptile hobby!

Yes, Shaun it is fine to turn it off.

Also fluros arent that expensive, you can get a good size one from bunnings for $20.

Keep it on shaun if you like to have your snake well done.
But seriously, all depends what snake you have. Most of species are fine in 30 C temperature. My olive pythons have in hot part of the day 33 and 30 at night. Diamond Pythons 30 and 27.

Shaun,
You would be best wiring it up to a thermostat, then you won't have to worry so much!

Neil

i hated using the heat mat when i had my snake in his little placcy click clack container - so hard to regulate temps! that was the main reason i put him into his 2 foot enclosure and it is sooooo much easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back